In Ear Headphones under $200
Jul 11, 2011 at 5:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Ryan23

New Head-Fier
I have been in the market to purchase a new set of in ear headphones under $200. My priorities are:

1.Sound Quality
2.Noise Isolation
3.Comfort
4.Build quality

I'm mainly looking for a clear sounding pair of earphones with good isolation and not extremely bassy.

Setup:
Ipod Touch 4th Generation
No amplification - not wanting to buy

I listen to a lot of modern rock bands with a lot of guitar and 60's rock. Heavy bass earphones are unwanted

Options:
I have been browsing the market and are looking at buying from the US, but would prefer locally bought (Australia- Headphonic).
Some of the earphones I have looked at are:

Head Direct RE0
Great value for money, excellent sound quality and are worth much more than the $99 they are. Read some good reviews and probably my most likely choice so far.

Etymotic HF5
Awesome build quality, sound quality and probably the best isolation headphones from my options. Only low is the price, $159 in Australia but only $100 in US.

Shure SE125
Haven't researched much about them but they look good and read a few positive reviews and are lower in price, $129 in Aus and $100 in US.

Westone UM1
Look like high quality earphones and read some good reviews on their comfort and sound quality, but seen a few problems as well. Price is kind of high, $150 in Aus and $100 in US.

These are some I've been looking at and would like to know some reccomdations and suggestions on some quality in ear headphones for under $200. Pleas reply 

Jul 11, 2011 at 2:03 PM Post #2 of 6
I haven't heard any Westones, but of the other 3 I would strongly recommend the HF5.  It fits exactly your requirements, esp in the isolation dept due to its completely sealed body.  The SE215 isolates a little better than the REO, but isn't as clear sounding as the RE0 or HF5.  RE0 has some durability issues, and is a vented dynamic earphone.

You might ask for one in the For Sale section -- someone may be willing to sell a gently used set for your price, and ship it to you -- it's only about $10-15 to ship from the USA use 1st Class Postal.

Jul 11, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #3 of 6
I am also looking for a rocking set of under $200 IEM however my requirements differ in that I like a lot of bass. I listen to a lot of electronica and dance. Would you recommend the same set?

Jul 12, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #5 of 6
I'm a big fan of Etymotic so would recommend the hf5. May be a little more pricey but totally worth it. Fulfills your first 2 requirements handily. Comfort is subjective as I don't have an issue with the mid-sized tri-flange tips but I've read complaints from those who feel they're too invasive. I recently bought some Comply tips for my hf3 and they work real well in creating sufficient seal without having to really jam them deep down into the ear. Build quality overall isn't bad but the cable isn't as thick/heavy as Shures.

Jul 16, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #6 of 6
I'm probably a little out of touch with the market these days, but I don't see how you can go wrong with the triple.fi 10, which now regularly sells for under $200 at a variety of online retailers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back