In-Ear Headphones for those with Tinnitus
Aug 26, 2006 at 8:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

YesDuchamp

New Head-Fier
Hi, I posted a thread a month ago about regular/full-sized headphones for those with Tinnitus. The Sennheiser HD600's were recommended to me due to their rich tone and softened higher register. I do plan on buying these when I have the money.
But I'm wondering if you guys might be able to recommend a portable headphone set that fits in the ear. I've heard of Shure and Etymotic, but each of these seems to have it's limitations (not that any headphone is perfect though). My concern is still the same -- sound that is inoffensive and accessible which won't aggravate my Tinnitus -- but now I'm looking for headphones that I can wear when I'm outside exercising. Can anyone offer any insight again? Thanks!

Aug 26, 2006 at 9:03 PM Post #2 of 9
I'd say the Westone UM2. They are smooth & warm sounding, yet detailed. Highs are there yet not offensive. They sound very good straight from an iPod. Very comfortable too.

Aug 26, 2006 at 9:36 PM Post #3 of 9
earplugstore_1909_1460581

Sorry
biggrin.gif

Aug 27, 2006 at 2:45 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by gordolindsay
earplugstore_1909_1460581

Sorry
biggrin.gif

those look like some sort of obscure baby pacifiers

Aug 27, 2006 at 9:58 AM Post #5 of 9
They do look pretty darn goofy, but they're supposed to be some of the best earplugs available.
confused.gif
etysmile.gif

Aug 27, 2006 at 10:18 AM Post #6 of 9
IEMS aren't the best for exercising, your footsteps, breathing, everything is amplified.. (try blocking ur ear with a finger and tapping that finger)
id reccommend a KSC75 for exercising.. or earbuds like sennheiser MX400/500
I dunno, music never really aggravated my tinnitus, mine just comes n goes
rolleyes.gif

Aug 27, 2006 at 11:44 AM Post #7 of 9
Stax 001 if you don't need isolation and don't mind to carry a small amp. I have the hd600 and the 001 and they're both very easy on the ears, no aggrivation of tinnitus here. And they sound awesome too BTW

Aug 27, 2006 at 12:10 PM Post #8 of 9
Hi, I've got tinnitus, and just ordered some UM2s which will arrive in a couple of weeks. I'll let you know how it goes.

For me, the key is being able to produce an enjoyable low volume sound and I hope these will be able to do it..

Aug 27, 2006 at 3:11 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by YesDuchamp
Hi, I posted a thread a month ago about regular/full-sized headphones for those with Tinnitus. The Sennheiser HD600's were recommended to me due to their rich tone and softened higher register. I do plan on buying these when I have the money.
But I'm wondering if you guys might be able to recommend a portable headphone set that fits in the ear. I've heard of Shure and Etymotic, but each of these seems to have it's limitations (not that any headphone is perfect though). My concern is still the same -- sound that is inoffensive and accessible which won't aggravate my Tinnitus -- but now I'm looking for headphones that I can wear when I'm outside exercising. Can anyone offer any insight again? Thanks!

Hi there,

I have pretty severe tinnitus going on more than two decades now. I don't know if any iem or headphone actually exacerbates the condition so long as reasonable decibel levels are maintained. Some might be more comfortable than others. I started with the Shure e2c, moved on to the ER6, then ER 4. About a year ago I bought a pair of E5s. I alternated between the Etymotic and Shure for a spell, until I misplaced the former, relying on the Shure entirely for about six months. When the Etymotics turned up again, I found them to be shrill and rather uncomfortable sonically.

I don't think using would materially exacerbate my tinnitus, but comfort is definitely an issue.

I don't think you can go wrong with the higher end IEMs. Shure or Westone (or even the ER4--I used it for quite a while, very satisfied until it suffered by comparison to the E5). One benefit of using Headfi is the ability to buy and sell used equipment, so it doesn't cost terribly to experiment and find out what's right for you.

Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back