In ear headphones for LG G6 with QUAD DAC HD-870DS
Jul 14, 2017 at 2:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

sojkin

New Head-Fier
Im looking for good in ear headphones for LG G6 version with quad dac. What can you recommend me? I've read somewhere on the internet that they should have impedance above 50 ohm to work well with that dac but im not sure about that information. Could you help? I want to spend on them between 50 and 100 eur. Cheaper the better! I want also that pilot of them will work with android phones if there will be any. As i know RHA MA750i works only with apple products.

I get proposal of buying SENNHEISER MOMENTUM IN-EAR G but they have 18 ohm impedance. Is there something better or will they sound great? Will they need AMP?

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #2 of 4
Well i also have the LG G6 Quad DAC and i can tell you that none of my Earphones sound good. The DAC is very clear and precise, but lacks dynamics, and reading this thread i also noticed a few people saying the same. The Sound character of the DAC is extremely neutral, not just a bit neutral, but plain boring. Voices sound clear, but not intense and powerfull, they sound simply boring like there is a Compressor activated all the time. I can say the same for the bass. The DAC cancels every bit of bass that my Earphones produce. My Home equip is a DT 990 LE and Essence ST-X. I also got a USB DAC for Smartphones (ZuperDAC) and it sounds so much better. Airier, more dynamic. I don't see any reason why this would not be true, the DAC in the G6 maybe costs 10 Bucks in production while a good USB DAC starts at 70 Bucks, i don't really care what people say, because one starts to praise something and thousand people do the same.

TLDR: Quad DAC is more of a gimmick and not a real audio lovers dream, its more marketing than anything. I know how my 990's sound with my Essence which was 240 Bucks alone. Different level, no comparison.

The only way that made my EC10s sound "Okay", was to use Neutron Player instead of the other stuff. Turn on Crossfade and choose a good EQ. It's still no Cigar but better then nothing. The DAC is the problem because i also used my Note 4, S5 and S4 recently and they all sounded a bit worse in terms of clarity, but the dynamics were on point. There is no Headphone that i own, which made me enjoy the music. I tried the Soundmagic EC10, DT 990 LE, Sennheiser HD 650.

Im just writing this down to prevent you from buying earphones noticing that it doesn't sound any better. Try another audio player with a high quality and see how it compares to the G6's DAC. Same with the "50 Ohm HiFi Mode", people did assume a lot, but nobody managed it to show off real results which back up that the DAC is fully used in sub 50 Ohm mode. Theres a lot of misassumption going on.

Aug 14, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #3 of 4
I have a sennheiser HD 598 which is 50 ohms and comes with a 6.3 mm to 3.5 mm adapter to connect to a standard 3.5 mm jack.Will this on its own trigger the hi impedence mode?

If I use the hack of using a headphone splitter to trigger the external audio mode for low impedence headphones PX 100 II and AT M40X will this make these low impedence headphones sound better.

Also if the Quad DAC always results in superior sound why does LG not just let people select this themselves? What is the logic behind denying access to Quad DAC for a lot of headphones which people are likely to have for portable listening?

Aug 15, 2017 at 1:04 AM Post #4 of 4
I have a sennheiser HD 598 which is 50 ohms and comes with a 6.3 mm to 3.5 mm adapter to connect to a standard 3.5 mm jack.Will this on its own trigger the hi impedence mode

No. You need the adapter cable that has a resistor circuit to make the phone detect an actually higher impedance. A simple adapter isn't going to alter the load impedance.

If I use the hack of using a headphone splitter to trigger the external audio mode for low impedence headphones PX 100 II and AT M40X will this make these low impedence headphones sound better.

Not really. You're not even increasing the impedance in a parallel wiring like that.

Also if the Quad DAC always results in superior sound why does LG not just let people select this themselves? What is the logic behind denying access to Quad DAC for a lot of headphones which people are likely to have for portable listening?

Most likely battery life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back