In-ear headphones compared to Beyerdynamic DT770
Jul 21, 2017 at 10:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

deevych

New Head-Fier
Hi,

Currently I'm using Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro (80 Ohm) and Custom Studio as main headphones at work.
Paired with Creative E5 on PC and iBasso DX50 at home / mobile use.
I really like how they perform from the price I paid for them ($120-150) - they sound great, VERY comfortable (I can keep them on my head for almost a full day without any issues). The only problem is - they are not portable, so on the road or not in the office I don't have same sound.

What's in my player - jazz (mostly), rock (art rock, doom) and electronica (DnB). Bad (or good?) for me - I need a neutral sounding, anything else I can fine-tune with EQ (which I never do, though).

So, I started to look for the "compared" sound and comfort (which is very important to me) in the in-ear headphones ocean. What I already have:
- Brainwavz R3 (dual-driver, first revision): they seem to be fine in mids and highs, but lack in lows (not to tell there is no bass at all, but not enough compared to Beyers). Also - they are uncomfortable.
- Klipsch X11: (X12i use the same driver) very comfortable, lows are fine, but highs are missing... X20i seem to be ok, but they are $500+ MSRP, which I don't seem to accept for the accessory that can be easily lost or damaged (cable)...

As you can see, I'm not satisfied yet, so I'm still in search for the optimal solution.
My criteria:
  • comfort for long use, not bulky, using in the flight often enough.
  • sound compared to DT770 (or better),
  • build quality (solid housing, detachable cable as a plus, prefer not L-shaped plug, I don't want to buy another set every ear) and
  • price up to $200 (anything on sale for this price is welcomed too).
Yeah.. all the best for low price, I know...

What's in my short list:
Beyerdynamic iDX 200 iE / iDX 160 iE
Same manufacturer, possibly compared sound; price range seem to be OK

Sony MDR-EX750 (corded version, no BT, and no NC)
Claimed to be hi-res headphones, fit into my price range

Pioneer SE-СX8
Surprisingly, I can get them for under $100, claimed to be great, but not enough reviews.

ONKYO E700M
Looks to be nice and comfortable, reviews are confusing - some say they are mediocre, some say - great.

Audio-Technica ATH-CKR70 - not so good feedback from reviews, CKR90 are better and have detachable cable, but are a bit off the budget.

Sennheiser Momentum M2 - off the list due to bad build quality and cable issues after just a few months of use (based on Amazon reviews).

Well... I hope I provided good enough info to help with good recommendation.
Did anyone had DT770 and any of the listed earphones to compare? I know the sound quality is very subjective, but having a starting point is good to see what I already have and what I've already selected.

Many thanks in advance...

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #2 of 13
I'd strongly recommend the shure se215. Best performer in their pricerange. Most comfortable IEM i ever tried, detachable cable, slight emphasis in the lowend. Resolution is great. Overall just an enjoyable, easy to listen to experience really.

Jul 21, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #3 of 13
I'd strongly recommend the shure se215. Best performer in their pricerange. Most comfortable IEM i ever tried, detachable cable, slight emphasis in the lowend. Resolution is great. Overall just an enjoyable, easy to listen to experience really.
Thanks, I'll give them a try.
I don't like the construction and my friend owns them and told me these may not fit well every ear, so I'll try to be sure the comfort is OK.

Jul 21, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #4 of 13
I have problems with most IEM's in that they are pushing on some spot of my ear. Not with those.
I do agree though, that the fit of any IEM is very personal and can vary widely. So, yeah, trying is always the best option.

Jul 21, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #5 of 13
You might check out the 1More Quad Driver. It sounds outstanding and I find it quite comfortable. Is well-made. Maybe read about it and see what you think. It is possible it could work for you.

Jul 21, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #6 of 13
You might check out the 1More Quad Driver. It sounds outstanding and I find it quite comfortable. Is well-made. Maybe read about it and see what you think. It is possible it could work for you.
Is 20Hz enough for lows there? My Brainwavz R3 also have 20 and it's not enough for me. Yes, specs may differ from feelings, but if manufacturer states 20Hz, it makes a risk for me to get the headphones which start from 20Hz but clear sound starts from 40Hz. That's why I prefer lower "digits" in specs, which give more chance to sound better in the real life from 12-16Hz which I can feel.
I'm a bit sceptic on "the more drivers - the better", especially when there are 4 of them. It requires quite a bit science and electronics to make it work together. Hence - it must be very respectful manufacturer to believe it's a quality product.
But this is my personal opinion, and unfortunately - won't have a chance to try them before the purchase.

Jul 21, 2017 at 6:07 PM Post #7 of 13
Sounds like you may need to look elsewhere but you should know that generally speaking humans can only hear as low as 20 Hz, a bit lower only under a strict laboratory setting, which is not relevant to we recreational listeners. FWIW.

Jul 22, 2017 at 1:37 AM Post #8 of 13
you should know that generally speaking humans can only hear as low as 20 Hz, a bit lower only under a strict laboratory setting, which is not relevant to we recreational listeners. FWIW.
Well... You are right on the "generally speaking" statement, but do not forget that human ears are not the same for all and every person has its own capabilities and limitations due to zillion of factors.
It hugely depends on what you call "hear". Do not forget about "feel" too.
Try listening to a track with sequential frequencies range (separate sequence) in a good headphones (I tried in DT770 with slightly increased sound level on low range frequencies) and you may be surprised what you can hear and feel. The upper level is now limited for me probably because of my age on about 16000-17000 Hz.
So, what you personally can hear depends only on you and talking about headphones - depends on the headphones you use too.
This is the reason I pay some attention on the freq range too.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #9 of 13
Well... You are right on the "generally speaking" statement, but do not forget that human ears are not the same for all and every person has its own capabilities and limitations due to zillion of factors.
It hugely depends on what you call "hear". Do not forget about "feel" too.
Try listening to a track with sequential frequencies range (separate sequence) in a good headphones (I tried in DT770 with slightly increased sound level on low range frequencies) and you may be surprised what you can hear and feel. The upper level is now limited for me probably because of my age on about 16000-17000 Hz.
So, what you personally can hear depends only on you and talking about headphones - depends on the headphones you use too.
This is the reason I pay some attention on the freq range too.
I hear ya (pardon the pun!!).

Jul 24, 2017 at 4:45 AM Post #10 of 13
I hear ya (pardon the pun!!).
Just for a quick check - try the Online Tone Generator or another one.
My set of ears, headphones (Beyerdynamic Custom Studio) and sound card (Creative E5) allow me to hear from 9 Hz (feel the pressure with increased sound level... yeah, maybe it's overtones I hear, but anyway) up to 17 000 Hz (the upper level - rather feel, and clear "hear" about 15 500 Hz).
Again - hearing is very personal thing and you can hear another range than I do.

I'm telling this not to show off, but to give a clear statement I'm not looking for some headphones just because i need something cool and not hearing half of their capabilities.
Instead, most headphones are not sufficient for me on the low frequencies, and are not clear enough on higher ones. And yes, I can hear it...

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #12 of 13
At this moment - took Klipsch X11, which are good enough and very comfortable, but sound different than Custom Studio. For me - a bit less bass, than I want.
No surprise, as those are balanced armature IEM's and Customs are big dynamic cans.

Planning to get X20i - I really like the comfort of Klipsch IEMs, so, now I'm tracking deals for X20 to get them cheaper.

In the meantime - got Fender FXA2 Pro, but two pairs I got were from defective batch - after just a few days of use left earpiece started losing signal. Something is wrong with cable connector...
Waiting for warranty replacement from Fender to deliver. So, can't even tell about the sound quality yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back