In Ear choices for IAudio D2. (YUIN PK1s or Vmoda Vibes or MylerOne x3)
May 23, 2007 at 5:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

wwx

New Head-Fier
I'm new to portable sound. I've just never been one to listen to MP3 players, walkmans, etc. But with my new job it can really help pass the time to listen to music. I picked up an IAudio D2 to use at work. I can't wear big over the ear headphones as I wont always be listening to music, and I need something that will allow me to hear what is going on around me if I'm listening at low volume levels. Due to my background in music and recording I'm a little picky on sound quality so I'd like something that will give me a more flat frequency response than coloration. I'm not picky enough to spend over $75 for a pair though, and from doing some research I've came to three choices.

YUIN PK1, Vmoda Vibe, or MylerOne X3.

The D2's output specs are:
# S/N ratio: 95dB (A-Weighted), frequency Range: 20Hz~20KHz
# Max Output: 16 Ohm earphone : 37mW + 37mW
# BBE, Mach3Bass, 3Dsurround, Stereo Enhancement and MP Enhancement

If you know of any other In Ears/Buds/Earphones I should look at or pick up if they are really cheap please feel free to list them here.

May 23, 2007 at 5:58 AM Post #2 of 15
I believe the PK1 isa good choice. Maybe it's just me, but you have to be facing right against the person to hear what they're saying while you're using semi-in-ear phones (like the Vibes).

The PK1 has good reviews, and I believe they offer free shipping from the US:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...light=yuin+pk1

You might need an amp, but if you don't want to spend more money for an amp, a more budget solution would be a PK2 (read up the thread).

May 23, 2007 at 6:30 AM Post #3 of 15
You can rule out the PK1, they're $135, add to that, some $$$ for an amp to really get the most out of them. Although it is possible that player has enough power output to do them justice. They meet all your sonic criteria though. Relatively flat response across the spectrum, with some sub-bass roll-off. They are open too, so you can easily hear people around you.

You can also rule out the mylar3, they isolate quite a bit IMHO, even with the stock tips. Thats unfortunate because they are relatively flat across the spectrum and are not too expensive.

I've never tried the V-modas and am therefore am not qualified to comment on them.

May 23, 2007 at 12:54 PM Post #4 of 15
The CK7's seem to fit the bill. They're fairly flat after some use and they'll run you about 80 bucks.

They're what I use with my D2.

Dec 29, 2007 at 9:00 AM Post #6 of 15
D2 can drive PK1 loud enough for sure, but you absolutely need amp to bring out PK1 sound to max
PK1 unamped sounds narrow and have grainy bass

Dec 29, 2007 at 9:32 AM Post #7 of 15
I'm a D2 user also and I use PK3 and PK2. It depends on what you want with your music. PK3 gives enough bass for you to enjoy the music and the mid and high is okay too. PK2 has a nice detail on mid and high not too much bass. With D2 3d surround option turn on, it will give the sound a little dimention with these phones. PK3 and PK2 wont need any Amp. So these are the options if you dont want to carry the amp. Btw, congrat on the D2 cause it is one of the great sounding Dap.

Dec 29, 2007 at 11:48 AM Post #8 of 15
You should take a look into warm-signature IEMs/earbuds.
My experience with D2 and ER4p was a bit disappointment
frown.gif

Dec 29, 2007 at 12:28 PM Post #9 of 15
PK2 is probably best for your requirements.

Dec 31, 2007 at 1:31 PM Post #12 of 15
I would suggest IEMs over buds. They give you the added benefit of Isolation.

For under $75 I would chose:

The UE Super.fi 3's are great for IEM all around. They are bulky and have to be worn over the ear. $59.99 shipped

UE Super.fi 3

The UE Metro.fi 2's are great for bass heavy rock. They are not bulky like the Super.fi series and do not go over the ear. $49.99 shipped

UE Metro.fi 2

The Crossroads MylarOne X3i are great too. The build quality is not "super" strong like the three above, but they are much better then the V-Moda. $57 shipped

Jaben.net

If you can spoare the extra $25 definitely go with the Denon's. The AH-C700 are fantastic. They are on a huge sale at Amazon for $99.99 shipped (usually $200):

Denon AH-C700

Dec 31, 2007 at 6:29 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by DKaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you can spoare the extra $25 definitely go with the Denon's. The AH-C700 are fantastic. They are on a huge sale at Amazon for $99.99 shipped (usually $200):

Denon AH-C700

Have you ever owned the C700s?

Jan 2, 2008 at 5:05 PM Post #15 of 15
I know from your budget you're not considering an amp at the moment but as it has been mentioned - don't consider amping the D2, as a player it sounds far better unamped from my experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back