In dubio: IE8, W3 or UM3X?
Jul 21, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #31 of 61
Definitely the tips, my bad source didn't diminish the treble more than the bass: they all suffered.

Jul 21, 2009 at 5:50 AM Post #33 of 61
I think he cant go wrong with either w3's or um3x, i havent gotten any sibilance so far on my comply's with the 3's. They are very exciting to listen too but at the same time to me and my treble sensitive ears are not fatiguing. Right now im going on 1.5 hours solid in my ears and they are not fatiguing me in the slightest. They are also great at low volumes. I would like to try the um3x's as well just to compare.

Jul 21, 2009 at 8:02 AM Post #34 of 61
Thanks for all the replies guys! You all give me valid reasons to buy one IEM or another. Of course all three IEM's have there fans over here.
normal_smile .gif

When I woke up this morning I was actually thinking again of the IE8.

- It's the cheapest (comparison in EU-webshops: 100 euro or more)
- W3 or UM3X can be bought in US-webshops but they would still be more expensive.
- Buying over the Atlantic could cause troubles with customs (making it even more expensive) and of course what about warranty? (worldwide warranty?; sending it back to the US would be costly too)
- soundsignature: Sennheiser has always suited me (HD 595, HD 485, PX100, MX 500, some wireless HP's,...) whereas Westone would be a big guess in this respect.
- SQ: the peaky treble of the W3 and the neutrality of the UM3X (it was after all intended for pro-musicians and not for casual listening) versus the funfactor of the IE8. Some call it even as close an IEM has ever been to a full open HP-sound.
- The IE8 has the adjustable bass screw and even if it would be overpowering I am positive I could EQ it down with my Cowon I7.
- The combo Cowon-Sennheiser is almost certainly a good match (neutral DAP versus warm IEM)
- The IE8 doesn't go as deep in the ear as the Westones. Two years ago I had some ear-issues (irritations) that made it impossible to use my Shure E3's for a couple of months. I've almost forgotten about it but it could be a factor in the future of course.

Conclusion: there is a lot to say for the IE8 in my case. Thanks again for all your input! It made things a lot more clear to me.

Jul 21, 2009 at 10:14 AM Post #35 of 61
I got my brand new UM3X for £250 in the UK as compared to IE8's £180 (Amazon.co.uk) which is £70 more. Why I choose UM3X because it is the most neutral IEM to date and I listen to musics from classical to indie to alternative to rock to trance and I know on certain songs I like it to have more treble or bit more on the bass or bit forward on mid and not being biased on mid forward, bass or treble itself.

I like to enjoy any music to the full spectrum and is more fun IMO.

Jul 21, 2009 at 1:12 PM Post #38 of 61
since i went to buy my um3x today, i took the chance to listen to the IE8.

I can safely say that you won't be disappointed by the IE8 should you buy them. It has all the edge, aggression, attack and impact of dynamic drivers and gives quite an immersive experience. It has the thinnest of veils in terms of clarity and transparency, probably compounded by my inability to adjust the bass on the audition unit. This is probably one buying decision you will hardly regret. unless you don't really like your bass. Condolences to the wallet btw.

Jul 21, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #40 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cosmic Fool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for all the replies guys! You all give me valid reasons to buy one IEM or another. Of course all three IEM's have there fans over here.
normal_smile .gif

- W3 or UM3X can be bought in US-webshops but they would still be more expensive.
- Buying over the Atlantic could cause troubles with customs (making it even more expensive) and of course what about warranty? (worldwide warranty?; sending it back to the US would be costly too)
- soundsignature: Sennheiser has always suited me (HD 595, HD 485, PX100, MX 500, some wireless HP's,...) whereas Westone would be a big guess in this respect.
- SQ: the peaky treble of the W3 and the neutrality of the UM3X (it was after all intended for pro-musicians and not for casual listening) versus the funfactor of the IE8. Some call it even as close an IEM has ever been to a full open HP-sound.
- The IE8 has the adjustable bass screw and even if it would be overpowering I am positive I could EQ it down with my Cowon I7.
- The combo Cowon-Sennheiser is almost certainly a good match (neutral DAP versus warm IEM)
- The IE8 doesn't go as deep in the ear as the Westones. Two years ago I had some ear-issues (irritations) that made it impossible to use my Shure E3's for a couple of months. I've almost forgotten about it but it could be a factor in the future of course.

Conclusion: there is a lot to say for the IE8 in my case. Thanks again for all your input! It made things a lot more clear to me.

I'm using the iAudio7 + IE8 combo and can say they work well together.

However, the IE8 doesn't sound much like the HD595 or PX100. Don't let that put you off, they sound a lot better imo.

Jul 22, 2009 at 1:22 AM Post #42 of 61
sounds like you had the IE8 choice in mind from the beginning. I want my 5 minutes back j/k hehehe. Good luck in your purchase.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cosmic Fool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
normal_smile .gif

Jul 22, 2009 at 11:20 AM Post #43 of 61
good choice! hope you enjoy it! But reading from your original post, if you loved the Shure signature for 4 years, i was gonna say the westones might suit you better... but IE8s "funfactor" is trully amazing, i can attest to that!

OT: MARK! i never did consider comparing the IE7 and the UM3X. I have the IE8s now and im planning to buy a new IEM with the "opposite" sound signature as the IE8. I was betting on the UM3X for that matter. I'm afraid that since IE7 is still from sennheiser, tendency is they have a lot in common with the IE8, i might be, in a sense, "downgrading".

Jul 22, 2009 at 1:04 PM Post #44 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by duanepo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
good choice! hope you enjoy it! But reading from your original post, if you loved the Shure signature for 4 years, i was gonna say the westones might suit you better... but IE8s "funfactor" is trully amazing, i can attest to that!

OT: MARK! i never did consider comparing the IE7 and the UM3X. I have the IE8s now and im planning to buy a new IEM with the "opposite" sound signature as the IE8. I was betting on the UM3X for that matter. I'm afraid that since IE7 is still from sennheiser, tendency is they have a lot in common with the IE8, i might be, in a sense, "downgrading".

oh the um3 isnt a down grade but its sound signature that more neutral sound isnt utterly dissimilar to the 7. the um3 is more detailed and has greater clarity just was simply saying that for half the cost its not a bad choice. neither are really very neutral both do have a quite a bit of bass but not IE8 amounts of bass

Jul 22, 2009 at 1:09 PM Post #45 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh the um3 isnt a down grade but its sound signature that more neutral sound isnt utterly dissimilar to the 7. the um3 is more detailed and has greater clarity just was simply saying that for half the cost its not a bad choice. neither are really very neutral both do have a quite a bit of bass but not IE8 amounts of bass

I think he meant the IE 7 is a "downgrade" from the IE 8.

The question is, can you go wrong with any of these choices?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back