In dubio: IE8, W3 or UM3X?
Jul 20, 2009 at 6:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 61

Cosmic Fool

100+ Head-Fier
After 4 years of listening to the Shure E3 I feel the time has come to move on to a better IEM. The last three weeks I have been looking on the net for some interesting earphones. But the longer I think about it the more I begin to doubt.
regular_smile .gif
Until today I was going to buy the IE8, but now I am also concidering the Westone 3 and UM3X.

What do I want?

- a non fatiguing, natural and exciting soundsignature.
- an IEM that sounds good on low volume levels
- tight and punchy bass
- nice treble (but not peaky or sibilant)

I appreciate every input you guys - or girls of course - could give me.

Jul 20, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #2 of 61
I've had the UM3X, it was never fatiguing with no sibilance/peakiness. I'd say it was well balanced with a fair amount of bass.

I also had the IE8, bass was waaay too much for me and didn't calm down even when I hit around 250hr burn-in. also experienced sibilance so that turned me off - sold it for UM3X which I enjoyed much more.

Jul 20, 2009 at 6:23 PM Post #3 of 61
I can only speak for the IE8s, which fit all your criteria - although are difficult to fit for many people. There are not bad on low volume, but the FX500s are better. In fact I'll go so far as to say that the FX500s are remarkably close to the IE8s - even the fabled soundstage. I no longer have the IE8s for a direct comparison, but have had the FX500s since saturday and am at least as delighted with them as I was with the IE8s, which I returned only because I couldn't get them to stay in place.
As ever - tips and fit make big differences to sound.

Jul 20, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #4 of 61
Thanks for the quick response, Teraflame! Would you say the UM3X is suitable for all musicgenres? One of the few things that make me doubt about the UM3X is that it's targeted at professional musicians: doesnt that mean it sounds a bit less fun than perhaps the IE8 or maybe even the W3?

Edit: willw, are you talking about the JVC FX500? I don't really know much about them. Are they that much cheaper than the IE8?

Jul 20, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #5 of 61
Im not really qualified for great advice as im very new to the IEM world. I have the w3's and really enjoy them. They can get sibilant depending on the tips you use. Not bad when foamies i have found. Very fun to listen to, i havent found a genre that they didnt do well. The only weakness as most know ive found is the mids are just a tad recessed. I skipped on the IE8 just because i wanted more isolation. The w3's isolate very well. Im very happy with them, but i think you would be happy with any of the 3 youve mentioned. Im not a huge basshead so i would go w3 or um3x jmo though.

Jul 20, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #6 of 61
The FX500 have to be ordered from Japan but will cost half the price of the IE8. Got mine delivered within 7 days and can definitly say it was worth the effort. Search the forum for more details if interested.

Jul 20, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #7 of 61
Thanks for the suggestion Get_Zwole and Zenpunk! I will search the forum for more details. I can't help to think that for that price it would be very special if it could compete with top IEM's. The problem with IEM's is that you can't listen to them before buying. Luckily there is always good old Head-fi.org to come to our rescue!
beyersmile.png

Jul 20, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #8 of 61
Hi there, you cosmic fool!!! haha I think the IE8 best fits your requirements. How important is isolation to you though? I will forever maintain that IE8 sound the best when not sealed in.

Jul 20, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #10 of 61
My friend, you want the TF10 Pro. It fits everything you are looking for, if you can get a good seal. I had 3 tips fit me, the medium, the double and comply foams.

Jul 20, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #11 of 61
I am completely blown away by my W3s paired with a Sansa Clip. W3s were only sibilant on my ipods/ touch.

I don't listen loud. I don't think the 3s need to be "opened up" with volume like some other IEMs I've had.

Jul 20, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #12 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott_Tarlow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My friend, you want the TF10 Pro. It fits everything you are looking for, if you can get a good seal. I had 3 tips fit me, the medium, the double and comply foams.

A nice suggestion! Initially they were on my shortlist but I've read on different forums/reviews that they are rather analytical and have very recessed mids with excessive highs and lows.

Edit: @ Koven & Khemist: two more votes for the W3. Thx!

Jul 20, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #13 of 61
Not sure what the price diff is on the West vs. IE8 are in Belgium as the importers of Westone in EMEA are based in Belgium and are blood suckers when it comes to price the IE8 vs. Westone price are world apart in the UK so based on reviews etc I am waiting for the IE8's to arrive. £180. vs. 345.... I could not justify the difference, if price was more simmilar to the US price on the Westone's I would go for the UM3x

Jul 20, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #14 of 61
I've had all of them, and I now exclusively use the UM3X for exactly all the same things you're looking for.

The W3 have spiky treble, as do the Triple.Fi. The IE8 are far from neutral.

I highly recommend the UM3X for you.

Jul 20, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #15 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by maceto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure what the price diff is on the West vs. IE8 are in Belgium as the importers of Westone in EMEA are based in Belgium and are blood suckers when it comes to price the IE8 vs. Westone price are world apart in the UK so based on reviews etc I am waiting for the IE8's to arrive. £180. vs. 345.... I could not justify the difference, if price was more simmilar to the US price on the Westone's I would go for the UM3x

In Belgium the price of the Sennheiser is about 40-50 euro cheaper than the Westone UM3X and about 70 euro cheaper than the W3. The prices of the Westones are of course the US-prices. I haven't found a shop that sells them here.

Edit: @ kloan: thanks for sharing your experience! Would you describe the UM3X as fun to listen to?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back