in despair.. cheap CDP beating sonica?
Oct 4, 2005 at 3:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

loveheadphones

100+ Head-Fier
DAC: Monarchy M22B w/ piggy back mod
Amp: Blockhead SA
Balanced Cable: Dimarzio
Headphone: HD-650 / Zu

CDP: Samsung HD 841i (cheap universal player) coaxial output fed into DAC (tried it with monarchy DIP in between, not much difference) through headphile blacksilver IC.

vs.

M-audio sonica optical output fed into DAC (tried it with monarchy DIP in between, not much difference) through MCM glass optical using Foobar 2k w/ kernel streaming and .FLAC files and all recommended settings for bit perfect output.

I've been A/B ing for about 30 minutes. There is a noticeable difference between the CD and sonica. More detail, air, and soundstage in CD. Dead black between notes from the CD, not so much from the sonica. Test CD's: Steely Dan - Gaucho, Tool - Lateralus.

I realize there are many variables here, but can anyone help out? I thought bit perfect was bit perfect..

Oct 4, 2005 at 6:30 AM Post #2 of 2
digital sources can vary in quality.

I have the Sonica and find it to be OK, that's all, and not as good as a dedicated source.
I can't get mine working with Asio4all, and don't use foobar for playback with its kernal streaming, so it is using direct sound as output.

As a digital output for USB, the Edirol UA-5 and UA-25 are reputed to be MUCH better than the Sonica and its successor, the Transit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back