In-depth Preview of the new Soundblaster X-Fi
Aug 21, 2005 at 10:02 PM Post #61 of 212
Quote:

Originally Posted by thomase
The issue is that developer's MAY use the X-RAM in order to use higher-quality samples in games that wouldn't otherwise be possible.

Is the Ultra-Quality mode in BF2 available without X-RAM btw?

If we MUST use it...I sure some modder will figure out a way to swap 2MB with 64MB.

And plus..in games...I wouldn't be too critical of sound quality as much as I would be with music. I dunno..that's just me..

Aug 21, 2005 at 10:44 PM Post #62 of 212
Quote:

The issue is that developer's MAY use the X-RAM in order to use higher-quality samples in games that wouldn't otherwise be possible.

Taken from Rage3D forum from a guy with the forum name of Greasy with a X-Fi Platinum without X-RAM.

I"m playing BF2 with X-Fi on, and I have't had a single problem. The game sounds amazing when playing with my headphones on.

You may not like yours, but I'm very happy mine.

Aug 22, 2005 at 12:13 AM Post #64 of 212
Quote:

Originally Posted by YW_Slayer
Thanks to all those with the X-Fi for their opinions, posts, and information. They're certainly much more useful than the "Creative labs sucks" and "Creative labs are liars" comments that, whether true or not, don't really help.

CrEaTiV3 SuCkS!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sanne
one thing that has always bothered me about creative is how bloated their drivers are. i like things to be clean and simple, and this new set of cards seems to be anything but that. and anytime there is bloat, there is bound to be instability.

There's a new panel called the audio console which simplifies things greatly. Also, after install, I did notice a few added things to startup:

remote something
cthelper
ctfsf somethin
and 2 others

Deleting them had no effect on my gaming or music experiences. It's also worth noting that the new panels are very slick imo. There's fading/sliding/etc. But most importantly, they do it QUICK. I have yet to experience any instability as well. Things are lookin' good so far.

Quote:

Well, the options there. And it sure as heck sounds nicer. ie. I could really hear vehicles from further away. It helped to give a more immersive experience. Not to mention the added benefit of being able to hear pretty much anything within killing range...sniper~exception...

Aug 22, 2005 at 12:41 AM Post #65 of 212
xfi_wtf.jpg

xfi_wtf_2.jpg

This happens when I install X-FI in ANY PCI slot..

After that screen it won't go to normal WINXP booting screen and computer would just restart...

What is going ON here...

Aug 22, 2005 at 1:26 AM Post #67 of 212
Quote:

Originally Posted by TempestX
See you got your issue resolved on [H]ard|OCP. Glad your issue is resolved. Bios can be a crazy thing with a Mobo.
biggrin.gif

lol world is very small nowdays.
smily_headphones1.gif

yea I'm never going to use modded bioses even if they offer better oc..

Aug 22, 2005 at 1:42 AM Post #68 of 212
Quote:

Originally Posted by net_dos
lol world is very small nowdays.
smily_headphones1.gif

yea I'm never going to use modded bioses even if they offer better oc..

I see you've got a DFI board there....Can you link me to the HardOCP post that solved your problem? I've got a SLI-DR and I don't want any trouble when I finally find out where I can get a Fatal1ty FPS edition.../sigh

Aug 22, 2005 at 1:45 AM Post #69 of 212
god why is it so damn hard to set this right..

another problem..

now i'm have a fairly loud STATIC noise ...

it's loud enough to be noticed when everything is quite and when i concentrate for it..

if it stick the speaker to my ear it's definitely noticeable...

did i get a lemon..DAC is out or something? i thought SNR on this thing is good..how is this worse then my on-board AC97 sound card..

*sigh..*great start by the way..

I must say though..that 24-bit crystalizer really makes the music come alive..I hear the definite difference....
eek.gif
Also...is 24-bit conversion done in hardware on the fly? or is it the work of creative's software?

Aug 22, 2005 at 2:03 AM Post #70 of 212
Quote:

Originally Posted by net_dos
god why is it so damn hard to set this right..

another problem..

now i'm have a fairly loud STATIC noise ...

it's loud enough to be noticed when everything is quite and when i concentrate for it..

if it stick the speaker to my ear it's definitely noticeable...

did i get a lemon..DAC is out or something? i thought SNR on this thing is good..how is this worse then my on-board AC97 sound card..

*sigh..*great start by the way..

I must say though..that 24-bit crystalizer really makes the music come alive..I hear the definite difference....
eek.gif
Also...is 24-bit conversion done in the hardware on the fly? or is it the work of creative's software?

Blame cheap pc speakers. I've never heard ones that didn't have a small amount of hiss.

Aug 22, 2005 at 2:08 AM Post #71 of 212
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asmo
Blame cheap pc speakers. I've never heard ones that didn't have a small amount of hiss.

Yea right now it is Bose Companion 3...figures...Bose=teh suck..

Soon to be replaced with GigaS700...hurry up USPS...

Another difference I see...

I'm noticing all these "defects" in my mp3 songs that I never heard before..

X-Fi making all these defects more pronounced..

Edit: omg X-fi is really different from its predecessors...I used to own Audigy 2ZS...It used around 15% of CPU when EAX and CMSS were enabled..guess what..it's using ZERO cpu now with X-fi...This one is a keeper!

Aug 22, 2005 at 11:07 AM Post #73 of 212
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tachikoma
So... the xtrememusic version _isn't_ lacking any of the important features compared to the higher-ranged cards? (X-Ram isn't considered important :p)

Correct. Although on the Elite Pro version, you do get higher quality DACs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back