In curiosity, is old Sony A/V receiver fine for headphone amp?
Apr 14, 2017 at 1:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

IkuMiku96

New Head-Fier
Specifically, I have Sony STR-K670P, an old A/V Receiver that HDMI wasn't mainstream that time. Powers 510W to 5 speakers and 1 subwoofer.
Digital in only by S/PDIF with optical or coaxial

(Note the 6.25" audio output port)

(the top vent is quite toasty that i putted a small fan blowing down the vent)

Since this thing uses 6.25" port as headphone output, i think this can output high impedance headphone
(but i have no prove and not sure about this)

I've read most A/V receiver is mediocre or base okay as an amp but very similar to portable devices. though most of them are relatively new (any receiver with HDMI, to me is new). wonder if this old receiver is not factored by that.

For sure, this plays very loud with my current Superlux HD 681, volume ranging from 0-to-70 and 55 is my enjoyable music moment
(my HD 681 is 32ohm so i dont know much).
to compare to my desktop with integrated amp, 60 with the receiver is like max volume of my pc.

If i have higher impedance headphone maybe i can test this better but for now, is this a good receiver as a headphone amp?

Plan to use this receiver as the amp and my Sony blu-ray player as lossless playback (supports flac by usb). Since PCM passthru is capable via S/PDIF with this receiver, i bet this uses the DAC inside the receiver.
(well, just that i cant afford dedicated headphone amp but quick switch speaker to headphone is desire though)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back