In between Fidelio X2's and Fostex x00's... Help!
Jan 21, 2017 at 2:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

neddoge

Head-Fier
I'll try to simplify my background into manageable chunks:

Source:  Schiit Uber Stack (Magni2/Modi2)

Music:  Metalcore to Rock to Jazz to Classical to whatever Dave Matthews Band is, with EDM on occasion

Other cans:  HiFiMAN HE-400i's, which is very neutral and accurate almost to a fault.  Bass is there, but doesn't shine unless I boost the frequencies via EQ.

Misc:  Will be using these as Gaming cans as well (have a Modmic setup).  My HE-400i's have a decent soundstage, to the point where I'm unsure if the extra depth in the X2's will be substantially impactful (although I've heard they're Top 5 with respects to Soundstage -- especially for gaming).

That said, my drive to pick up either the X2's or the x00's is for the compliment to my current cans.  I'm not averse to spending $400 over $200 for the x00's honestly, just want to make sure it's what I expect them to be (and to be justified at 2x the cost).  I know Comfort and Soundstage is killer for the X2's, and everything else leans x00's -- but I'd love more feedback!  Also, which do you use more often?  I'd like to only have 2 cans in my possession, but the form and sound factors of both the X2's and x00's make me want to have 3... But my S/O would kill me :D

Jan 22, 2017 at 12:35 AM Post #2 of 5
The X00 is probably the better complement to the 400i as it'll be the most different.  I wouldn't use it for competitive gaming as it'll be way too bassy, but it should be good for immersive gaming.  Overall, I prefer the X2 to the X00, but I don't like closed, overly bassy cans so that's definitely a personal preference kind of thing.

Jan 22, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #3 of 5
Yep, I think I've leaned towards the X00's for now due to a "limited" release, although they seem to be a potential flavor of the month deal with MD.  I can always scoop the X2s in the future.

Thanks for your input!

Jan 22, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #4 of 5
I'd also go with the TH-X00's because they will compliment your 400i's better than the X2. You already have a very detailed open back headphone with solid sound stage. The X00's will give you a fantastic closed back option that still have respectable highs along with top tier bass. And honestly the X00's have very decent stage themselves, especially considering they are not a full open back. 

Since you own the 400i's already, I wouldn't even second guess going for the TH-X00's over the X2. They really are a fantastic headphone, my personal favorite in my collection. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back