In 2 months, I must decide, Stax or Speakers?
Apr 29, 2009 at 12:21 AM Post #18 of 21
Speakers IMO.

You have a whole room to yourself! Why bother with headphones if you don't have to worry about disturbing anyone? For really immersing yourself in the music, cans are always playing catch-up to speakers. On the low end of things, cans may be more cost effective. On the higher end, speakers give more bang for the buck.

Apr 29, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #19 of 21
If I had a basement all to myself it would be speakers for sure. Speakers can be more involving, the image is (arguably) better and they are fun to tweak. Of course, they are much easier to get wrong than headphones but thats part of the fun.

OT By the way - does a basement have a function other than being a man cave? I have never lived in a place with one and I just don't get it
wink.gif
Here in So Cal we don't have anything under the house except for dirt. /OT

In fact, I am setting up a 2 channel "speaker" centric system in a room that won't be optimal but at least I'll be able to share some of these great tunes with other folks - that is really my only complaint about cans, it is hard to share a nice new record or whatever with a spouse or guests.

As to dedicated power you can get a circuit off of your main box pulled to your stereo room. You are still connected to the grid so your neighbor's refrigerator or whatever will impact you but at least it is to a much lesser extent.

Have fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back