IMR R3 Halcyon, R3 Phase, R3 Semper - Discussion / Impressions Thread
Jul 1, 2020 at 7:57 AM Post #181 of 948
I guess i need to review things then, he has never entertained any future discussion with me, completely ignored any points of discussion that try to explore the future to grab a hint of the future and answered everything else lol. I think the most he ever graciously mentioned to me was a new planar which became the EDP and then working on something good you will enjoy and these were based on audio chat points i made about what i do and do not like about IMR IEM's so far. I never also expect him to divulge in full or huge detail of his future plans, my questioning to him was more from the angle of i cant afford to purchase multiple sets and as the product releases all came at once and were potentially increasing exponentially i needed a nod to the direction of these are the ones for you so i could plan my funding to purchase them, especially if they are a low number release like PB One, Halcyon and Semper if that ever came to fruition. I also never expect you to divulge private conersations and i respect that hence my speculation questioning.

Don't worry, I haven't got an "inside line" to Bob. We were just talking about the planar driver in the Rah and PB One, and how it stacks up against other planar gear I've heard or an currently reviewing, and the conversation went from there. If you get an engineer talking shop, they find it very difficult not to enthuse about whatever problem they are trying to solve next.

I do know that the planar driver is very tricky to get right in terms of design and mounting in a hybrid setup, so the Rah, EDP and PB One were all a lot more labour intensive than the previous models or the Halcyon. Guess that's why there aren't more of them in the market!

Jul 1, 2020 at 7:57 AM Post #182 of 948
Very interesting @Jackpot77 appreciate the info. I don't want to seem impatient I'm so happy with the PB1 already and haven't even got the Halcyon which is the first R3 model yet. I just remember preordering the Rah straight after getting the Aten and then the same with the Halcyon after the Rah was released.

Jul 1, 2020 at 7:59 AM Post #183 of 948
Very interesting @Jackpot77 appreciate the info. I don't want to seem impatient I'm so happy with the PB1 already and haven't even got the Halcyon which is the first R3 model yet. I just remember preordering the Rah straight after getting the Aten and then the same with the Halcyon after the Rah was released.

From initial impressions, I think the PB One will be pretty special. Going to take a bit longer to work out where the Halcyon sits as it's a signature I'm not as familiar with, but I know Bob really rates the combo.

Jul 1, 2020 at 8:04 AM Post #184 of 948
Don't worry, I haven't got an "inside line" to Bob. We were just talking about the planar driver in the Rah and PB One, and how it stacks up against other planar gear I've heard or an currently reviewing, and the conversation went from there. If you get an engineer talking shop, they find it very difficult not to enthuse about whatever problem they are trying to solve next.

I do know that the planar driver is very tricky to get right in terms of design and mounting in a hybrid setup, so the Rah, EDP and PB One were all a lot more labour intensive than the previous models or the Halcyon. Guess that's why there aren't more of them in the market!

I'll believe you this time !!

I look at the Aten how that is all mounted and then look at the Rah/PB One how the planar is mounted and i'm like all how the hell is all this even possible.

Jul 2, 2020 at 9:24 AM Post #186 of 948
I'll believe you this time !!

I look at the Aten how that is all mounted and then look at the Rah/PB One how the planar is mounted and i'm like all how the hell is all this even possible.

Hope Bob revives the Semper or come up with something else that could be better than Semper. The reason why I am following him is his simple implementation with no BS marketing of latest cutting edge tech or innovations. And agreed with you ‘how the hell’; he managed to squeeze in those 2 large transducers into that small shell and then tuning it coherently (to my liking) across the audio spectrum with no crossover.

Btw, i abandoned chasing for the ultimate 3 years ago when prices started shooting like our wallet got no bottom- so reminded myself be comfortable and enjoy with what I have, including those recent and incoming purchases.

Jul 2, 2020 at 9:46 AM Post #187 of 948
Hope Bob revives the Semper or come up with something else that could be better than Semper. The reason why I am following him is his simple implementation with no BS marketing of latest cutting edge tech or innovations. And agreed with you ‘how the hell’; he managed to squeeze in those 2 large transducers into that small shell and then tuning it coherently (to my liking) across the audio spectrum with no crossover.

Btw, i abandoned chasing for the ultimate 3 years ago when prices started shooting like our wallet got no bottom- so reminded myself be comfortable and enjoy with what I have, including those recent and incoming purchases.

I’m hoping for the Semper in a different chassis than Rah/PB One/Halcyon and cheaper than the initial suggested price.

I have the same mindset as yourself. When having the mindset of what is next what is better then you’re subconsciously saying what I have is not good enough. I never sell any audio equipment, I buy what I think I will like in aesthetics, audio and functionality and whilst I don’t always get it right I do know that some future purchase will pair perfectly well with whatever wasn’t working out for me. This way I can then not buy all the expensive things and create my own synergy between things. Plus I have zero FOMO issues I have enough anxiety in my life without adding to it through audio which is pretty much my only solace. Music is to be enjoyed and not to be argued over about what is good and bad, only we as a listener can decide what works for us individually. This is why I say for me everything just needs to get out of the way so I can enjoy my music, right now I’m listening to standard soundcloud quality, this trance set is brickwalled and trance generally is often harsh sounding anyway, listening to the Aten through my DJM 600 mixers headphone out and it sounds let’s say not the best, but right now it is exactly where I need to be lol. The music is way more important than searching for perfect music and the perfect objective nonsense. I had a real high end car stereo set up years ago that my audio place wanted me to compete with them with but it’s not my thing as again audio is for me, it was great but too great, doing the usual more sounds worse than good lol, worrying about it and then playing what I didn’t always wish to listen to just because it sounded ‘the best’.

Jul 2, 2020 at 10:27 AM Post #188 of 948
I’m hoping for the Semper in a different chassis than Rah/PB One/Halcyon and cheaper than the initial suggested price.

I have the same mindset as yourself. When having the mindset of what is next what is better then you’re subconsciously saying what I have is not good enough. I never sell any audio equipment, I buy what I think I will like in aesthetics, audio and functionality and whilst I don’t always get it right I do know that some future purchase will pair perfectly well with whatever wasn’t working out for me. This way I can then not buy all the expensive things and create my own synergy between things. Plus I have zero FOMO issues I have enough anxiety in my life without adding to it through audio which is pretty much my only solace. Music is to be enjoyed and not to be argued over about what is good and bad, only we as a listener can decide what works for us individually. This is why I say for me everything just needs to get out of the way so I can enjoy my music, right now I’m listening to standard soundcloud quality, this trance set is brickwalled and trance generally is often harsh sounding anyway, listening to the Aten through my DJM 600 mixers headphone out and it sounds let’s say not the best, but right now it is exactly where I need to be lol. The music is way more important than searching for perfect music and the perfect objective nonsense. I had a real high end car stereo set up years ago that my audio place wanted me to compete with them with but it’s not my thing as again audio is for me, it was great but too great, doing the usual more sounds worse than good lol, worrying about it and then playing what I didn’t always wish to listen to just because it sounded ‘the best’.

Guess we quite similar except the music preferences. Only recently that I gotten my audio buddy to help offload a few of my 2 channels stuff laying around and no longer using.
Am definitely not a die hard follower as my only trust worthy pal is my ears.

Jul 2, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #189 of 948
Guess we quite similar except the music preferences. Only recently that I gotten my audio buddy to help offload a few of my 2 channels stuff laying around and no longer using.
Am definitely not a die hard follower as my only trust worthy pal is my ears.

My music preferences are far and wide but electronic music of many sub gneres is my core music identity.

Jul 2, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #192 of 948
Hope Bob revives the Semper or come up with something else that could be better than Semper.
Oh this is what i am waiting for the most. Semper and his Pro line up.
There are 2 thing that i really would like to see in IMR.

1. Different chasis design. To improve fit. Semper will have to be big. So it must have secure fit.
It is quite difficult to achieve if you want to keep 2 part nozzles. But i think external shell could become slightly taller rather than deep where it sticks out too much. Just to push gravity center toward cable.
But of course such a driver set up is massive challange to implement.

2. Ditch that piezo tweeter and let electrostats take care of treble.

Yes, Rah had by far best treble in IMR line up. But, even if it is not one of those treble monsters, it shows a bit sibilance in lower treble.
Ok. At Rah price range its treble is more than fine as most agree.
But if that will carry over to 1k Semper..?

Maybe unless estats will take care of upper mids and lower treble and piezo stays as super tweeter?

What do you guys think?
I am sure Bob knows what hes doing. Especially judging from his confidence in Semper.
I am just curious how much more you can milk thay 15mm dd + piezo hybrid driver?
For example, can you achieve better bass extension just by adding extra estats?

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #193 of 948
2. Ditch that piezo tweeter and let electrostats take care of treble.

This was my thinking but only purely from a packaging view point.

I always thought the EDP shell was large whilst many I believe had the impression it was going to be a Tin P1 tiny thing. I’m still waiting to see an actual size photo of the EDP and if it is infact large then that could be adopted possibly to fit all the drivers in.

For the Semper price, well the Rah started out as a 1k price which kept going lower. I don’t know if that’s his marketing ploy or not, say everything is 1k when he says what ideas he’s planning, then before release say it’s cheaper, then with the discount it’s even cheaper again all to make you think wow I have a 1k IEM for 1/3rd of the price. In my mind the Semper is a £400-500 IEM and I doubt I would ever pay more than that for any IEM from any company because next month there is another that promises to take me to the unicorns.

Jul 2, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #194 of 948
I'm very intrigued to hear the Halcyon and the effect of the electrostats over the planar.

Have any more turned up?

From the electrostat over ears I've heard there is no reason why they couldn't handle the mids as well. It is the mids and vocals that really stand out for me and I prefer them to planar mids in over ears. Of course I haven't heard in ear estats so maybe it isn't the same but it is this that has me excited for the Halcyon & Semper that I love the Rah/ PB1 more than anything with planar I've heard and I don't particularly like planars. I've been thinking the piezo could be redundant soon.

Jul 2, 2020 at 5:07 PM Post #195 of 948
I doubt I would ever pay more than that for any IEM from any company because next month there is another that promises to take me to the unicorns.
This is what i would suggest to stick to..:ksc75smile: after tasting a some summit fi i doubt i will ever go back. And that will hurt my pocket.

Luckily it is not a phone industry. You can easily last 2-3 years with a flagship and it will still be competitive.
Besides there is always a re-sale option to fund next flagship.

Of course this is probably only going to work if you dont like to own many iems.

I understand many people will always prefer variety. And in that case it would be very expensive to maintain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back