IMR R3 Halcyon, R3 Phase, R3 Semper - Discussion / Impressions Thread
Jul 30, 2020 at 10:59 PM Post #556 of 948
Recv my Azla Xelestec tips last night.
Well made, snug fit on L. Probably the best looking tips and a beauty on PB1.
Sadly not the most suitable for me in term of sound preferences.

Using PB1 on all black, this tips transformed the warm enjoyable texture sound to dry/analytical with upper freq range too spicy and sibilant for my taste. Still sounded dry when I dropped from black filter to green filter for balance across the audio spectrum.
Roll back to Tennmak, brain and ears at ease and enjoyment to the zen like atmosphere was back.

Azla Xelestec I feel based on my listening more suited for music lovers who love clean and dry/analytical sound.
Old ears of mine still prefers the old school warm vinyl signature.
Horses for courses.

And ending my exploration on tips and will just stick to either Comply or Tennmak for my IMR range of IEM.

Jul 30, 2020 at 11:04 PM Post #557 of 948
It’s so peculiar that hardly anybody mentions this aspect.

I can only compare it to (whilst also not owning halcyon) the Zenith where the change is not a huge one and barely perceptible.

Saw you created a new thread.
Yep, close or open on Zenith make no much different. Likewise for R3 based on my ears.
Good thing is R3 leakage is not as obvious as Rah and PB1 ‘mosquito buzzing’.

Jul 30, 2020 at 11:11 PM Post #558 of 948
Saw you created a new thread.
Yep, close or open on Zenith make no much different. Likewise for R3 based on my ears.
Good thing is R3 leakage is not as obvious as Rah and PB1 ‘mosquito buzzing’.

Yes I have and personally it feels a good idea to have one busy thread for all IMR but appreciate we’re all different but at least it has the Semper and Opus Mia chat eventually.

For me the Zenith open and closed port didn’t change the size of the soundstage but it changed it from an intimate stage to an airy stage but both the same size and the bass was more linear closed and slightly more extension open but nothing dramatic overall.

Luckily leakage is of no concern to me and if I do need closed I can use Zenith or EDP.

I too use standard Azla on the PB1 but do still enjoy the Xelastec on them but my Zenith and Aten are using Xelastec, I have not listened to either for a while but they seem to clean up the sound a little.

Jul 30, 2020 at 11:34 PM Post #559 of 948
Yes I have and personally it feels a good idea to have one busy thread for all IMR but appreciate we’re all different but at least it has the Semper and Opus Mia chat eventually.

For me the Zenith open and closed port didn’t change the size of the soundstage but it changed it from an intimate stage to an airy stage but both the same size and the bass was more linear closed and slightly more extension open but nothing dramatic overall.

Luckily leakage is of no concern to me and if I do need closed I can use Zenith or EDP.

I too use standard Azla on the PB1 but do still enjoy the Xelastec on them but my Zenith and Aten are using Xelastec, I have not listened to either for a while but they seem to clean up the sound a little.

Those old model don’t clean up the sound that much. But this one does. I have the habit of using Eric Clapton unplugged acoustic guitar and the pedal before tapping on the bass drum to gauge the dryness coz I need that feel good effect, reverb or decay, whichever.
Xelestec took that away.
Well, may be just me and choosy ears over the years damper has deteriorated... hahaha.

Jul 31, 2020 at 1:15 AM Post #560 of 948
Recv my Azla Xelestec tips last night.
Well made, snug fit on L. Probably the best looking tips and a beauty on PB1.
Sadly not the most suitable for me in term of sound preferences.

Using PB1 on all black, this tips transformed the warm enjoyable texture sound to dry/analytical with upper freq range too spicy and sibilant for my taste. Still sounded dry when I dropped from black filter to green filter for balance across the audio spectrum.
Roll back to Tennmak, brain and ears at ease and enjoyment to the zen like atmosphere was back.

Azla Xelestec I feel based on my listening more suited for music lovers who love clean and dry/analytical sound.
Old ears of mine still prefers the old school warm vinyl signature.
Horses for courses.

And ending my exploration on tips and will just stick to either Comply or Tennmak for my IMR range of IEM.
Got those tips on my table too. Have not touched them yet. I will see how it works on my LX. Might be a good pairing.
These tips aparently will come with new EE models.

Jul 31, 2020 at 4:25 AM Post #561 of 948
Folks, who have Halcyons, what are your impressions of the opened and closed filters on the back cover? Which one do you prefer?

Tried briefly and couldn't hear much difference at all. Currently on open, might try swapping again and report.

Jul 31, 2020 at 4:36 AM Post #562 of 948
Got those tips on my table too. Have not touched them yet. I will see how it works on my LX. Might be a good pairing.
These tips aparently will come with new EE models.

Hope it brings you a big smile when you put it on. My ears just dislike elastic texture tips.

Btw, I own the Old Legend R BA CIEM. A Mids centric signature. Didn’t go for LX coz it exceeded my cash limit during Jack launching this new range here in SG.

Jul 31, 2020 at 6:26 AM Post #563 of 948
Folks, who have Halcyons, what are your impressions of the opened and closed filters on the back cover? Which one do you prefer?
I prefer closed. Better isolation, no leakage, and more precision; let me better appreciate the abilities and nuance of the Halcyon. Open makes things hazier.

Jul 31, 2020 at 7:31 AM Post #566 of 948
After reading majority of you like close back, I revisited it and was impressed. I did it 2 days back and now was different.

Artimus Pyle hard hitting the drum especially those snares in 1991 album as it he got a grudge with the set. Loving it. Power.
Still on Grey nozzle and blue filter since day 1.

Thanks you all for sharing.

Jul 31, 2020 at 7:52 AM Post #567 of 948
Hope it brings you a big smile when you put it on. My ears just dislike elastic texture tips.

Btw, I own the Old Legend R BA CIEM. A Mids centric signature. Didn’t go for LX coz it exceeded my cash limit during Jack launching this new range here in SG.
I gave it a quick 30 min try. And it seems to balance LX out. It tames subbass and pushes upper bass and mids forward a bit. What it messes up it the upper treble. Not that it sucks the air out. But it just smooths it out in a very grainy texture.

As U shape sig lover i think it might not be for me. As it hits subbass and upper treble performance taking the excitment down a touch too much

But I will try it with Rah on blue top nozzle when back home. I think it might be quite a good synergy as i usually feel like blue filter is slightly overdoing treble for my taste.

Jul 31, 2020 at 8:27 AM Post #568 of 948
I gave it a quick 30 min try. And it seems to balance LX out. It tames subbass and pushes upper bass and mids forward a bit. What it messes up it the upper treble. Not that it sucks the air out. But it just smooths it out in a very grainy texture.

As U shape sig lover i think it might not be for me. As it hits subbass and upper treble performance taking the excitment down a touch too much

But I will try it with Rah on blue top nozzle when back home. I think it might be quite a good synergy as i usually feel like blue filter is slightly overdoing treble for my taste.

The 2 extreme end is like a see saw. Good for one at the expense of the other.
Black and blue filter will bleed my ears. I dropped down to the less treble green filter and tried to appreciate it but nope.
Mids is impressive but on the whole, presentation just sounded a little artificial to my ears.

I didn’t trial it on Rah as I feel can’t work on PB1 shouldn’t for Rah.

Jul 31, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #569 of 948
Great news!:beerchug:

56% of the Semper allocation has now sold and if it keeps on at this speed we will be able to start production sooner!

Jul 31, 2020 at 5:39 PM Post #570 of 948
It’s so peculiar that hardly anybody mentions this aspect.

I can only compare it to (whilst also not owning halcyon) the Zenith where the change is not a huge one and barely perceptible.

Yup, on both R1 and the Zenith this was barely noticable. Really hope this will be different with the system on the new housing, it sure looks promising!

Still struggling with myself because of Semper.
But in case I don't like it, I can just return it. No risk involved, I guess.

To those that already pre-ordered: Did Payment get collected already, or will that happen when production starts or finishes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back