Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Dec 1, 2023 at 9:49 AM Post #15,496 of 18,013
Also, according to this seller, this planar is only 10mm diameter and the 12mm planar from Semper and others is the same old 10mm planar as EDP's and RAH. Only depends on how do you measure it (inner diameter or outside diameter), so I'm starting to think that the 10mm ADLC, 11mm ADLC and so on IMR's drivers are indeed the same.

Seems we've opened a real can of worms, as the saying goes.

Do we still think Bob tuned these drivers, or are all previous ideas up for re-evaluation?

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2023 at 9:53 AM Post #15,497 of 18,013
I have also the CNT and have requested the PU+paper and another two different IEMs from this seller:
1701441310077.png

Last one is Berillium coated and according to seller (I can confirm that is a wonderful seller. Very kind) it's a fantastic driver. So I'll try it.

And yes, this seller has been selling some of IMR's drivers: the 6mm ADLC and the 10mm planar. Those drivers are proprietary FAcoustics pattented, and not creation of IMR. Also, according to this seller, this planar is only 10mm diameter and the 12mm planar from Semper and others is the same old 10mm planar as EDP's and RAH. Only depends on how do you measure it (inner diameter or outside diameter), so I'm starting to think that the 10mm ADLC, 11mm ADLC and so on IMR's drivers are indeed the same.
Does he have the Berrilium driver? last time I asked him, he told that he doesn't have it because it is not suitable for this IEM
It's unfortunate he doesn't have multi drivers IEMs.
At least now we know who is the supplier of IMR

Dec 1, 2023 at 10:00 AM Post #15,498 of 18,013
Does he have the Berrilium driver? last time I asked him, he told that he doesn't have it because it is not suitable for this IEM
Bob had been using a Chinese driver manufacturer since the Trinity days. Interesting they stated they did the 6mm ADLC (used as a conduction motor in the Dark Matter and as the primary driver in the Knight) and the 10mm planar, but didn't mention any BAs or the 10mm ADLC DD (core driver for most of the last gen models) or 14mm Beryllium DD (the "Aten" driver).

Suspect they are just one of the materials suppliers IMR use - no clue whether Bob had any input in tuning the Dawn (and if they are now selling the final IMR tuned product or if it was tinned completely in house), but evidence would seem to indicate that these aren't the main source/supplier of the previous IMR iterations, just likely they are one of the parties involved.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2023 at 10:00 AM Post #15,499 of 18,013
The berillium driver i've shown is already in stock.

And yes: they have multidriver iems:
1701442815113.png

Dec 1, 2023 at 10:00 AM Post #15,500 of 18,013
Seems we've opened a real can of worms, as the saying goes.

Do we still think Bob tuned these drivers, or are all previous ideas up for re-evaluation?

As much as I hate finding out that the Dawn is the same as the Red Dawn since I've accepted the Dawn in lieu of my Na-Le, I wouldn't put Bob's other IEMs in the same category just yet. I think his previous releases were all his own housings and internal layouts, even if he got the drivers from the Alibaba provider. The way I'm looking at it is that anyone can buy the ingredients for a great homemade meal at the local grocery store, but you still need to know how to cook them for the meal to be edible. And up to now, he's been a pretty good cook.

That being said, the $30 IEM for $330 is a meal that is super hard to choke down....

Dec 1, 2023 at 10:09 AM Post #15,501 of 18,013
As much as I hate finding out that the Dawn is the same as the Red Dawn since I've accepted the Dawn in lieu of my Na-Le, I wouldn't put Bob's other IEMs in the same category just yet. I think his previous releases were all his own housings and internal layouts, even if he got the drivers from the Alibaba provider. The way I'm looking at it is that anyone can buy the ingredients for a great homemade meal at the local grocery store, but you still need to know how to cook them for the meal to be edible. And up to now, he's been a pretty good cook.

That being said, the $30 IEM for $330 is a meal that is super hard to choke down....
Well stated.

Dec 1, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #15,503 of 18,013

Actually it might even be worst if he ordered a high quantity of sets. It can go as low as 3.95$

Dec 1, 2023 at 12:23 PM Post #15,504 of 18,013
I just received BC2023 that replaces my order of Na-Le. So far, a very good IEM with a very organic sound. It matches very well with my Cayin RU7. Let burn-in start
I will order several IEMs from our Chinese friend to try them. I am sure he makes a lot of inexpensive gems like Red Dawn

Dec 1, 2023 at 12:28 PM Post #15,505 of 18,013
I do understand outsourcing drivers (those are hard to manufacture and it makes sense buying a bunch) then designing the acoustic chamber and soldering everything is quite something. But yeah, desperation drove him to buy the dawn and rebrand it, even knight was reshelled (though that one I really can't get it to sound to my taste)

I can tell i saw that coming and I'm not in shock. I would've come to an agreement with the seller for getting that specific headphone as an exclusive or something. Only he know what's on with his business. And the way he manages it

Dec 1, 2023 at 12:49 PM Post #15,506 of 18,013
Hey freaks,
I've just pulled the trigger on an IMR Dawn set, from their fleabay outlet. That was before I read the Red Dawn / IMR Dawn revelations on here. Still, I got them at a price I can just about justify to myself, well south of retail. I tend not to buy from abroad, for reasons of convenience.

An avid lurker on this thread, this will be my first foray to planet Bob.

I'm a fan of single DD IEMs, having owned a number of Flare Audio sets, since their early crowdfunding days, up to their current EARS line (I have the beryllium-coated R model) which was *checks notes* crowdfunded.

EARS definitely brings some soundstage game, and bass texture for days, but the treble is a little too rolled off for my (by no means treble-headed) taste so I'm looking to Dawn for a daily driver.

I admire the sheer masochism of this group, and look forward to joining you as I dip a modest toe into the IMR waters.

Let me know what I should expect from my first IMR experience.

H

Dec 1, 2023 at 1:15 PM Post #15,508 of 18,013
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back