Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Apr 4, 2023 at 2:14 AM Post #12,391 of 18,514
Was the same experience for me with the Cayin RU6 and the ACE. Never realy liked the ACE like my ZII but with the gold plated 6N OCC cable from the Kinera Baldr and the RU6 i finally made my peace with it. The ACE has +800hr on it now.
Same here, minus the cable. ACE and RU6 fit each other really well. Not a fan of both separately, but as a tandem they start to sing.

Apr 4, 2023 at 5:50 AM Post #12,392 of 18,514
Any update on the latest delivery guesstimates for Na-Le and Zion yet?

Apr 4, 2023 at 6:16 AM Post #12,394 of 18,514
Waiting for IMR builds is a road to disappointment 😉 I learned to just let it be a pleasant surprise. Nothing changes objectively, but subjectively it's much more pleasant.
Oh, I've been on Bob's delivery train since the early Trinity days (think I'm up over 15 different models of his now). Zen is definitely the right approach to buying his stuff, but it's almost always worth the wait

Not been very active in here recently so just wondered if I'd missed anything. I'll go back into hibernation now. :wink:

Apr 4, 2023 at 6:25 AM Post #12,395 of 18,514
Waiting for IMR builds is a road to disappointment 😉 I learned to just let it be a pleasant surprise. Nothing changes objectively, but subjectively it's much more pleasant.

And most of the information given in this updates is not correct. So best way is to wait for the arrival and then be happy.

Apr 4, 2023 at 8:41 AM Post #12,396 of 18,514
I've pimped my Dark Matter with the Nicehck black soul cable and paired up with the Shanling M1S it's a great bass head on the go set up. After quite a while away from the DM I'd forgotten how much bass this thing punches. Listening to ROYAL BLOOD - TYPHOONS these things nailed me to the wall
IMG_20230404_132509~2.jpg

Apr 4, 2023 at 12:54 PM Post #12,397 of 18,514
I've pimped my Dark Matter with the Nicehck black soul cable and paired up with the Shanling M1S it's a great bass head on the go set up. After quite a while away from the DM I'd forgotten how much bass this thing punches. Listening to ROYAL BLOOD - TYPHOONS these things nailed me to the wall IMG_20230404_132509~2.jpg
They look astonishing. I am sure they sound great too.
Miss mine but they went to a good musician friend and I'm sure he put them to good use.

Apr 4, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #12,399 of 18,514
Myself I hooked my Avalons on a Null Audio Nyx BT+ for a try and they stayed there.
It is truly amazing that one has the opportunity to experience a studio grade HI-Fi
room experience around one's head, with such a small package.
I would have loved to try the Avalons but alas not to be on my saved searches on ebay with The semper

Apr 4, 2023 at 2:35 PM Post #12,400 of 18,514
Purely on the depth of bass notes the Legato has the deepest most concert like bass of them all. I think there is room for both the DM and the Legato because they handle bass differently. I am glad I got the Legato and will use it in rotation with the DM, 2023 BC, and a forthcoming IEM. I also like the bass on the 'oldie' Sony XBA N3.
I'm sorry to bother you once again, my English is not that good, and I'm always struggle to understand metaphors, by deep bass you mean only the sound? The most conserning thing to me is if the Legato can push more air into the ear canal than DM, creating the vibration effect that I'm absolutely adore. Can you crank up the volume on Legato without getting piercing amount of treble/upper mids?

Apr 4, 2023 at 5:00 PM Post #12,401 of 18,514
I'm sorry to bother you once again, my English is not that good, and I'm always struggle to understand metaphors, by deep bass you mean only the sound? The most conserning thing to me is if the Legato can push more air into the ear canal than DM, creating the vibration effect that I'm absolutely adore. Can you crank up the volume on Legato without getting piercing amount of treble/upper mids?
So I've just listened to three tracks to compare DM and Legato bass. Both with an IMR Flesh coloured 2.5mm copper cable, both with L Spiral Dots, into the Quedelix 5k, LDAC, 660 KBPS...AB-ing.

'Headful of Blues' Snowy White, for mid bass impact
'Focus on Sanity', Ornette Coleman for position of bass
Ambitions Az A Ridah, 2PAQ for general midbass loudness.

On Headful of Blues impact is similar, bass notes of the Legato are some part of an Octave lower. The DM is clearer. On Ambitions Az A Ridah the impact/air movement leans slightly towards the Legato, but again the bass is deeper on the Legato, the DM clearer. On Focus on Sanity the bass is different on both. The DM has to be set quite loud to get a good volume of bass, but the bass notes sound great, you can hear the strings with their resonance, very detailed bass, when the trumpet comes in it is too loud and at high volume could do damage. With the Legato the trumpets are not so sharp, the bass slightly less defined than the DM but again some part of an Octave deeper and further forward in the mix, actually better placement than the DM. Impact/Air movement is similar, notes are deeper on the Legato, slightly more defined on the DM. The Legato is easier to listen to trumpets, which are a bit screechy on the DM at high volume. If you are looking for more impact than the DM I'm not sure that is possible....but notes can be lower/deeper...that's what the Legato does...has lower notes. Both move air, the Legato more analogue, less clean, the DM more digital, very clean, note edges are more defined on the DM.
Conclusion...no real extra impact, air from the Legato but the bass notes are lower than the DM. The DM is easier to drive and I had to increase the volume of the Legato to match.
Only if you like the deeper notes of the Legato is it worth getting. The DM rocks and the Legato is incredible value. I ❤️ them both. The Legato is really impressive. The bass on both is quite different.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2023 at 8:01 AM Post #12,402 of 18,514
Question time... Now the original PB1 is my least favourite IMR I've just never found a consistent sound to my liking the bass is muddy and over powers the frequency range. My question is the the new 2023 Rah/PB cut from the same cloth?
Or is it nearer to the EDP Ace? Now I know the Ace has bone conduction and the Rah does not. If it WASN'T for the BC(23) I wouldn't even be considering it. The Hiby RS2 has really opened my eyes to what superb iem the Ace is so the brain worms are stirring and making me wonder about the the Rah(23)

Apr 5, 2023 at 1:07 PM Post #12,403 of 18,514
Question time... Now the original PB1 is my least favourite IMR I've just never found a consistent sound to my liking the bass is muddy and over powers the frequency range. My question is the the new 2023 Rah/PB cut from the same cloth?
Or is it nearer to the EDP Ace? Now I know the Ace has bone conduction and the Rah does not. If it WASN'T for the BC(23) I wouldn't even be considering it. The Hiby RS2 has really opened my eyes to what superb iem the Ace is so the brain worms are stirring and making me wonder about the the Rah(23)
I prefer the Rah 23 to the bc23 but it’s a matter of taste

Pb1 it’s my favorite imr actually. Massive bass with some of the best mids ever done on a planar, though the treble is the worst cause there’s almost none in it, for me it’s perfect but I know that for many it’s almost a sin, im treble sensitive so it cuts it perfect for me.

Apr 5, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #12,404 of 18,514
I prefer the Rah 23 to the bc23 but it’s a matter of taste

Pb1 it’s my favorite imr actually. Massive bass with some of the best mids ever done on a planar, though the treble is the worst cause there’s almost none in it, for me it’s perfect but I know that for many it’s almost a sin, im treble sensitive so it cuts it perfect for me.
Thanks for the reply what filters do you use on the PB1 just so I can try out your preferred signature. It could just be I have a bad copy I can pretty much find something to like in all IMR. I know some of my favorite iems align with yours so I'm interested.

Apr 5, 2023 at 2:31 PM Post #12,405 of 18,514
Thanks for the reply what filters do you use on the PB1 just so I can try out your preferred signature. It could just be I have a bad copy I can pretty much find something to like in all IMR. I know some of my favorite iems align with yours so I'm interested.
Red bottom, modded purple top (grills more towards the outside, thinner internal foam)

Soundstage increased and mids are clear. I tend to use a shozy cable with all my iems, not the best but for comfort and portability it's the best cable I have. Though I remember dunu blanche made miracles on this one and the og rah

Users who are viewing this thread

Back