Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mar 25, 2023 at 3:20 AM Post #12,271 of 18,494
The same thing happened to me with Avalon within 600 hours. Mids were undoubtedly veiled, the thing that I hated and I couldn't accept. But around 500 and 600 hours I started changing stock cable with other, and I obtained sound evolution. The last cable was pure silver one that arrived close to 600 hours or so, and at this point it was one love for me.

Apparently Avalon and Rah share 3 same dynamic driver, at least on paper they have the same technology
Thank you, very useful to know! Have you put the stock cable back after 700 hours? How did they sound with the stock cable after 700 hours?

Mar 25, 2023 at 6:44 AM Post #12,273 of 18,494
Can't say that I've noticed more brightness during burn in ... but I did step down the red upper to a purple for my active listening. What I'm hearing in the upper end is not a bad thing in any sense ... just seems a small departure from the typical IMR house sound.
Would second that - have not perceived more brightness during burn-in. Of course I might profit from less sensitivity to treble due to my older ears :)

Mar 25, 2023 at 11:39 AM Post #12,274 of 18,494
Been playing around with the tuning filters today for the first time.

Out of all the combinations I have tried so far (bass/treble: grey/blue, grey/gold, red/blue, red/gold, red/purple, purple/red) the latter - purple/red - was the one I have settled on for now. For both sets, the Rah as well as the Elan+... Appears to give the most balanced and coherent sound imo based on the testracks I regularly use (in my sig).

PS though perceiving differences between the various filter combinations I was once again surprised how much more influence on sound the changes between tips have, especially foam vs. silicone...

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2023 at 12:29 PM Post #12,275 of 18,494
Yesterday I put up a discount Amazon code for the KBear 'Rosefinch'. It's advertised as a Bass IEM. It came this morning. On unpacking a very nice metal faceplate covering a plastic shell. The driver is a 10mm dynamic driver with 5 micron silicon composite bio-diaphragm. The cable is exactly the same as a KZ cable, not good at all. Tips the usual filler tips. Inevitably I put on a balanced 4.4mm 8 core balanced two pin 7N OCC copper cable and some L Spiral Dots. Out the box it sounded fuzzy and I thought 'this ain't good', so I left it playing for an hour to give the bio driver time to work. I ran Amazon HD through my iFi Go Blu, at LDAC 660 kbps. Big surprise...massive bass, very slightly boomy, although with good note edges. Sub-bass very present, mid-bass very impactful. Mids and treble just OK, but with good timbre. As a whole the Rosefinch for £18.99 is amazing value. Bass is more apparent than both my Dark Matter and 2023 Bass Cannon, yes bigger bass....BUT the whole sound signature of the DM and BC is much better than the Rosefinch. Is the DM worth 20 times the price of the Rosefinch. A conundrum...I doubt if anyone would find the Rosefinch not to their liking.....if they are a bass-head, although synergistically Bob creates special, musical, emotional IEMs. But the Rosefinch has big bass, good bass. If you decide to try it, chuck the cable and tips and run it balanced. Will break it in properly now. A bass lover's dream though. God knows what the 7HZ Legato bass is going to be like....as the Rosefinch bass-head bass is bloody big bass by any standards.

Edit

Just noticed I was running the Go Blu with XBass. With it off, the bass is still big, big, but with less bloom. That's a good thing though.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2023 at 12:45 PM Post #12,276 of 18,494
Mar 25, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #12,277 of 18,494
Also, thanks to the kind recommendations here I bought and just received the NiceHCK BlackCat Zinc Copper Alloy Oil Soaked cable
I put it on the Splash of Gold and instantly loved it. I cant quite put my finger on it why !?! but i much prefer the sound of this cable than the already excellent stock cable :)
Just got mine as well. I opted for MMCX for use on my Meze Advar. Looks like the cable was made to go with them, so that's nice.

Seems like a quality cable. I haven't done any focused listening to pick up on differences, but no complaints so far.

photo_2023-03-25_13-32-19.jpg

Mar 25, 2023 at 3:38 PM Post #12,278 of 18,494
Just got mine as well. I opted for MMCX for use on my Meze Advar. Looks like the cable was made to go with them, so that's nice.

Seems like a quality cable. I haven't done any focused listening to pick up on differences, but no complaints so far.
I think if there no discernable obvious immediate downgrade in sound from a new cable then its going to be a very good cable ! :)

Mar 25, 2023 at 8:48 PM Post #12,279 of 18,494
Bass is more apparent than both my Dark Matter and 2023 Bass Cannon, yes bigger bass....BUT the whole sound signature of the DM and BC is much better than the Rosefinch. the DM worth 20 times the price of the Rosefinch. A conundrum...I doubt if anyone would find the Rosefinch not to their liking.....if they are a bass-head, although synergistically Bob creates special, musical, emotional IEMs. But the Rosefinch has big bass, good bass. If you decide to try it, chuck the cable and tips and run it balanced. Will break it in properly now. A bass lover's dream though. God knows what the 7HZ Legato bass is going to be like....as the Rosefinch bass-head bass is bloody big bass by any standards.
Steve,
If you wish for overall coherency, weighty bass notes with plenty of rumble and reverb when the track has it yet with clear and powerful dynamic midrange accompanied by beautiful lovely vocal, ask Bob for the green ETS for your DM. The combo with Kotori Carbon to my ears and gears the heaviest (not bigger) bass head sounding signature so far I experienced. It’s permanent on my DM for months and generous Santa Claus Bob shipped me a pair for free when I asked a month ago.

Mar 25, 2023 at 9:58 PM Post #12,280 of 18,494

photo_2023-03-25_13-32-19.jpg
Love this cable as well, so much that I've just ordered my 4th one.

Mar 26, 2023 at 8:29 AM Post #12,281 of 18,494
Hello guys,
I have the chance to get a imr Elysium and i would like to know if somebody could tell something about the sound bc there is not much about them in the Internet.
I also have the Ozars and would like to know how they compare and if the Elysium would be a notable Upgrade.
Cheers

Mar 26, 2023 at 9:01 AM Post #12,282 of 18,494
Steve,
If you wish for overall coherency, weighty bass notes with plenty of rumble and reverb when the track has it yet with clear and powerful dynamic midrange accompanied by beautiful lovely vocal, ask Bob for the green ETS for your DM. The combo with Kotori Carbon to my ears and gears the heaviest (not bigger) bass head sounding signature so far I experienced. It’s permanent on my DM for months and generous Santa Claus Bob shipped me a pair for free when I asked a month ago.
A tradegy. My Kotori Carbon had lost sound from the right red channel. Shame, as for me it is a great cable. Really gives edges to bass bloom and improves sound over most other cables. A shame as I've only had it 7-8 months. I don't have the micro-fine tools to repair the very tiny delicate connection.

Mar 26, 2023 at 9:16 AM Post #12,283 of 18,494
Hello guys,
I have the chance to get a imr Elysium and i would like to know if somebody could tell something about the sound bc there is not much about them in the Internet.
I also have the Ozars and would like to know how they compare and if the Elysium would be a notable Upgrade.
Cheers

I'm not sure how they compare to the Ozars but I think the Elysiums are great. When they came out I preferred them to the original EDP and the Semper (I might get shot for saying that). It's only the Avalon that I think have them beat from the IMR stuff I have tried. Conclusions about sound are always subjective but they are a fun IEM in my opinion, they elicit that foot tapping / head bobbing response and between the bone conduction and planar, stuff like acoustic guitar and drums are rendered beautifully. Electronic stuff maybe sounds a bit more congested to me in terms of separation / soundstage.

They seem to be a 'marmite' set of IEMs. I don't think they received the deserved level of recognition compared with other IMRs that came out at the same time and I have seen some differing perspectives on them. If you can get them for a good price they would be well worth checking out.

Mar 26, 2023 at 10:32 AM Post #12,284 of 18,494
Hello guys,
Cheers
There is a detailed review of this earphones, may be it will help you:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back