Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Feb 17, 2023 at 8:50 PM Post #11,611 of 18,520
I never liked the BA sound. Semper uses ESTs while Elan+ has BAs. Comparing Elan+ to Semper seems a little like apples and oranges. How does the timbre compare? Soundstage?

It just seems like they would be more different than similar.
I'd moved on from BAs especially all BA set ups. I'm not actually sure why I ordered the E+ really due to this but I liked the description of the sound.

So I've been picky with them looking for things I don't like about BAs but not hearing them.

The Semper has a bigger soundstage but bizarrely the E+ fits more inside its one. Part of this is because I prefer the timbre or realism of the E+ which I think is due to the bc. But I hear details with the E+ I don't hear with the Semper. That surprised me.

Feb 17, 2023 at 8:54 PM Post #11,612 of 18,520
Definitely looking forward to getting mine. Maybe a week out on shipping.

You've set a high bar. I look forward to clearing it.
I should stop praising them so much to lower expectations but I've liked them since putting them in straight out of the box & they've got better with burn in.

Def listen to them from the off as that early bass is crazy but does settle down & trades size for richness. I'm about 200 hours in now had a typical IMR meh phase at around 80 hours or so which passed after a couple of days.

Feb 17, 2023 at 9:12 PM Post #11,613 of 18,520
I finally found a cable for my DM 😎 that kinda matches. Now to give it 40 hours or so burn in to see if it sounds okay.

Btw, anyone thinking of cancelling their Zion order let me know and I will ask Bob to transfer the order. (You get refund, but no risk of me not getting in the is that line.).
Is that the NiceHck Blacksoul?

Looks like I should be receiving the BC 2023 next week.

Feb 17, 2023 at 10:21 PM Post #11,614 of 18,520
The Semper has a bigger soundstage but bizarrely the E+ fits more inside its one. Part of this is because I prefer the timbre or realism of the E+ which I think is due to the bc. But I hear details with the E+ I don't hear with the Semper. That surprised me.
I think this sounds similar to how I feel about the ACE. The soundstage of the ACE is just more "real", like a complete canvas. By traditional measures, the Semper is wider, deeper, and taller, but the ACE seems more "complete" for some reason and seems to have more coverage. It's possibly due to the BC, I don't know.

I always refrain from claiming to hear "more details", because typically it just means that various frequencies are emphasized differently from one IEM to another as things are just shifted around. Sort of like different flavors for each IEM.

Feb 18, 2023 at 1:02 AM Post #11,615 of 18,520
I finally found a cable for my DM 😎 that kinda matches. Now to give it 40 hours or so burn in to see if it sounds okay.

Btw, anyone thinking of cancelling their Zion order let me know and I will ask Bob to transfer the order. (You get refund, but no risk of me not getting in the is that line.).
Which cable is this?

Feb 18, 2023 at 1:04 AM Post #11,616 of 18,520
I think this sounds similar to how I feel about the ACE. The soundstage of the ACE is just more "real", like a complete canvas. By traditional measures, the Semper is wider, deeper, and taller, but the ACE seems more "complete" for some reason and seems to have more coverage. It's possibly due to the BC, I don't know.

I always refrain from claiming to hear "more details", because typically it just means that various frequencies are emphasized differently from one IEM to another as things are just shifted around. Sort of like different flavors for each IEM.
What source do you use with ACE?

Feb 18, 2023 at 1:31 AM Post #11,619 of 18,520
EDP Ace and Rah'23 have similar drivers, do they sound very different, or close?

I asked Bob that question, he told me the Rah has a newer generation planar, and the new ultra wide band dlc of the 2023 era. They are in his opinion an all around upgrade to the EDP Ace.

Feb 18, 2023 at 1:38 AM Post #11,620 of 18,520
For anyone that missed out on the BC23, I may have a cheap alternative to recommend. I received a $30.00 earphone yesterday and it immediately reminded me of the BC! Out of the many iem I have, it's the closest to it I think for the price. Now don't laugh too much.

It's the SuperTFZ My love 2022 edition.

Has the same type bass, and the same large atmosphere. Not identical, but same vibe.

Feb 18, 2023 at 2:24 AM Post #11,621 of 18,520
ok were do i start 🤦🏻‍♂️
I think the na-le will be my last imr iem

Avalons - left iem has bad driver flex and im sure its got driver imbalance or something not right ( gonna graph them before i send for repair)

Dm’s - left iem having really really bad driver flex to the point its uncomfortable And makes a weird seal in my ear its horrible

Edp ace, right iem driver flex 🤯 but its ok i can live with it

I have about 12 chifi iems incl monarch mk1 And NONE have driver flex and nobe cause me issues even cheap kz iems

so im i having issues with r imr iems

Cant wait to c how long before my na-le ( when they arrive) get driver flex

Will be sending the dm’s and avalons back for repair but im very sceptical with bob’s repairs

I have seen so many people here complain about the quality of his iems

Lets see how they r when i get them back but wont be sending them till i can graph them, want to do a before and after

Feb 18, 2023 at 3:49 AM Post #11,623 of 18,520
ok were do i start 🤦🏻‍♂️
I think the na-le will be my last imr iem

Avalons - left iem has bad driver flex and im sure its got driver imbalance or something not right ( gonna graph them before i send for repair)

Dm’s - left iem having really really bad driver flex to the point its uncomfortable And makes a weird seal in my ear its horrible

Edp ace, right iem driver flex 🤯 but its ok i can live with it

I have about 12 chifi iems incl monarch mk1 And NONE have driver flex and nobe cause me issues even cheap kz iems

so im i having issues with r imr iems

Cant wait to c how long before my na-le ( when they arrive) get driver flex

Will be sending the dm’s and avalons back for repair but im very sceptical with bob’s repairs

I have seen so many people here complain about the quality of his iems

Lets see how they r when i get them back but wont be sending them till i can graph them, want to do a before and after
Not disputing your experience of opinion of your IMR models, but driver flex is mainly caused by a pressure seal in the ear canal. There is basically nowhere for the air in the ear to go when you push in the IEM, so it causes the driver to make a crinkly noise as the air moves around. It only becomes a mechanical problem when the is nowhere for the air to escape - the Campfire Audio Atlas was notorious for this - the seal it made with some tips was so airtight the driver actually "locked" and stopped making sound until the seal was broken.

It could be to do with your specific ear anatomy and the slightly odd ergonomics of most IMR sets - if you haven't tried foam tips to see if they reduce / alleviate the flex, you might want to check that out, at usually help with venting due to there porosity. Also, with IMR theb tiny vent holes on the filters are generally at the base of the filter - I used to get issues similar to that with my early IMR models into I worked out that I was fitting the tips too far down on the filter, and the stem was actually covering the tiny pinhole vent.

Just some suggestions you might want to try it you haven't done these already - if they don't work, will be interested to read about the before and after when you send the sets in to Bob. Driver imbalance is obviously a different issue, so hope you get that sorted.

Hope it works out for you one way or the other!

Feb 18, 2023 at 3:53 AM Post #11,624 of 18,520
The ISN C2 is a great modular cable, soft, enough weight ratio to be comfortable and snug around the ears. Good upgrade from the stock IMR cable. Like copper best so far with BC.

Only downside being the blue colour, but for some reason it has grown on me.
PXL_20230218_084836564.jpg
https://penonaudio.com/isn-audio-c2.html

It's also available in silver plated S2 or Hybrid H2.

Feb 18, 2023 at 4:01 AM Post #11,625 of 18,520
Got reccomended to try the newest Skrillex album, never been a big dubstep or Skrillex fan. Always gone more into techno, trance House or Psy Trance etc.

Still this album is quite different from his albums before, not sure if I like ot or not to be honest. What I do like is how the BC 2023 handles the music, addictive sound that's impressive.

https://songwhip.com/skrillex/quest-for-fire

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back