Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Feb 9, 2023 at 11:26 PM Post #11,386 of 18,517
I cannot compare with the Astra/Avalon, but I am a great fan of the DM. I'm lucky to have a very bassy DM. Particularly the Sub-Bass has good rumble due to the smaller DD contacting the shell. Easy to drive I rate the DM with L Spiral Dots and a Kotori Carbon 4.4mm cable.
The BC 2023 is for me an upgrade on the DM. This is purely my take, but with the 2023 BC, Timbre and Tone are excellent and more 'Musical' than the DM. They drive as easily as the DM. Although called the Bass Cannon, the mids are not recessed and somehow do not get overwhelmed by the bass. Positionally in the sound-space the mids stay in front of the bass in the right position and at the right volume, and that is particularly noticeable with vocals. As I A/B with the DM, everything sounds a little more musical on the BC. The main difference are the more forward mids of the 2023 BC. I have done a lot of A/B....ing with the BC/DM and the BC (to my ears....maybe only my ears) is an upgrade on the excellent DM. If I give the DM 8.5/10 I will give the 2023 BC 9/10. The name Bass Cannon deflects from the overall balance of this great tuning.
Can you tell me how is the Soundstage, transparency, and treble of BC compared to DM?

Feb 10, 2023 at 3:21 AM Post #11,388 of 18,517
Besides that I guess you should calm down a bit and refrain from dubious suspicions. You talk about a delay of half a year and at the same state that you received a tracking number in November. That makes for a three months delay in my book. And having received a tracking number at least proves that something has been dispatched...
The half year delay is since the first shipping deadline: Final August. And having received a tracking number proves that the sender has preordered the shipment. Not proves a dispatch. The only thing that proves a dispatch is a dispatched status in tracking. Not even the case.

And I must agree with Curicat: Royal Mail problems are not my problem. Are IMR's problem, because the choice of Royal Mail is IMR's, not mine.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2023 at 5:17 AM Post #11,390 of 18,517
Can you tell me how is the Soundstage, transparency, and treble of BC compared to DM?
Comparing the DM and Bass Cannon 2023 using Ornette Coleman 'Tears Inside', and 'Focus on Sanity', and Radiohead 'Reckoner'. Both DM & BC have good width. Separation...good, nuances are well defined. Depth and spacial positioning, imaging, noticeable and good on both, but I do have more holographic IEM's, so I would not call either the DM or BC 'holographic'. Textures of drum skins, slightly more noticeable 'leather' sounding resonance of drum skins on BC. Drum/Cymbal splashes on 'Reckoner' have good details on both, maybe a little more assertive on the DM. Not a high 'Technicality' treble on either, more a type of 'integrated' treble. I find the treble very integrated on both making them musical. Small treble details are heard, maybe slightly more on the BC, sometimes there is more aggressive treble on the DM. I use my kit indoors so can't talk much about 'transparency'. Mids are a little more forward on the stage on the BC. The BC definitely sounds a little more 'Organic'. They are more similar than different.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2023 at 6:14 AM Post #11,391 of 18,517
Not the evening I had planned in Accident and Emergency with suspected blood clot on my heart. At least I've got my Sony NW-WM1A and some iems with me for the ages between the tests.

The Royal mail strikes didn't exactly help with the situation + CYBER SECURITY ATTACK a real Cluster screw*
PS thank you for all the prayers and positive support I'm getting regular blood thinners and the blighter that was causing consternation has been removed.
Not good to read your first message. Glad you got it sorted quick & hope you're on the mend soon.

Feb 10, 2023 at 6:36 AM Post #11,392 of 18,517
What he said . . . (or to translate it to British) Just lie back and think of Lancashire hotpot
dornu7-21276332-f5bc-4c0b-8e45-ff5659ed1a07.jpg

Betty's hotpot.jpg

Feb 11, 2023 at 11:23 AM Post #11,394 of 18,517
Is there a guide to the nozzle and filter combinations? Or Is It different from model to model?

I also guess the ones that are on when delivered is the "intended" combination?

For some reason Norwegian Post Company decided to wait with the delivery til over the weekend. I was so ready for the BC for this weekend, currently writing a review for EST50 and do think the BC will get a comparison in there. EST50 being well balanced with a big bass shelf, specialy sub bass.

Feb 11, 2023 at 11:30 AM Post #11,395 of 18,517
Is there a guide to the nozzle and filter combinations? Or Is It different from model to model?

For some reason Norwegian Post Company decided to wait with the delivery til over the weekend. I was so ready for the BC for this weekend, currently writing a review for EST50 and do think the BC will get a comparison in there. EST50 being well balanced with a big bass shelf, specialy sub bass.
You should receive a booklet which outlines what the filters do ... although the info for the upper filter is harder to decipher.

Lower filter least to most bass: Green – silver – pink – red – grey – gold – blue - black

Upper filter least to most treble: Gold – green – pink – red – black - blue

I've always received my IMR units with black/black ... but don't think I've ever used that. Not really "intended" I don't think.

Most folks here settle on a lower filter and then "roll" the upper to dial it in. I tend to be blue lower and red upper. YMMV.

Feb 11, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #11,396 of 18,517
You should receive a booklet which outlines what the filters do ... although the info for the upper filter is harder to decipher.

Lower filter least to most bass: Green – silver – pink – red – grey – gold – blue - black

Upper filter least to most treble: Gold – green – pink – red – black - blue

I've always received my IMR units with black/black ... but don't think I've ever used that. Not really "intended" I don't think.

Most folks here settle on a lower filter and then "roll" the upper to dial it in. I tend to be blue lower and red upper. YMMV.
Thanks, had noe idea about booklet. Also the tip about lower filter is a good one.

Feb 11, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #11,397 of 18,517

Is this what you're looking for? https://imracoustics.com/pages/technical

Unrelated, I finally found eartips that work....only took 4 failed attempts! AZLA Crystal Standards are just the right level of sticky and comfortable, although they're a pain to get over the huge nozzle. Anyone have any tips/tricks on making that process go smoothly?

Feb 11, 2023 at 5:35 PM Post #11,399 of 18,517
I got a response from Royal Mail saying that for by the 13th of Feburary it will be 25 days from when it should have been delivered and be pursued as "lost". Probably at that point they'll take a good look for it, I'll be sure to send a request as soon as the 14th hits, even if it's not really "lost" just stalled. Whatever category is appropriate and gets something to happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back