Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jan 25, 2023 at 8:24 AM Post #11,071 of 18,511
Had the IMR Bass Cannon in my ears for about 3 hours. Shanling M3X as source, 4.4mm stock cable, L Spiral Dots. All pre-burn-in. Early days.
My expectation was somewhere in the Dark Matter ballpark, but with the BC's new composite ADLC drivers. I have no idea of the size of the main ADLC driver. How wrong my expectations are. Much more like the Zenith II, but easier to drive. Loud on 26 high gain. No hard, driving digital, sounds. Much more analogue, very smooth, surprisingly forward vocals. Bass still to open up fully, impactful, but not hard edged. Calling it the Bass Canon actually sells this short. It's really good sounding in its own right across the FR. Sounds excellent straight out of the box. I like the treble end a lot, probably due to the smaller ADLC driver taking care of them. Now to get some hours behind them.

I'm about 12 hours on my Bass Cannon, having listened and left them playing a play list overnight, and now listening again this morning. I emailed Bob to get more info about the driver, it's build and size. There are a few myths floating about around the BC, but from real-time listening, they are very good. Good clarity from the smaller DD (I don't know how many mm the larger driver is). Already the bass is opening up. I compared to the DM for a couple of songs. Early days. The DM has a bit more rumble at the moment but the BC is cleaner and has a slightly more forward mid-range. A great test of bass positioning is Seven Nation Army by The White Stripes. On most IEMs particularly the vocals are famous for being quite recessed. The BC holds them further forward than most. It's extremely accurate in bass notes, giving the full width to bass notes. Not the fastest decay of bass notes but very musical for that reason. Drum skins not far from planar reverb and quality. "Bass Cannon" doesn't suit it. It has plenty of bass, but that might give connotations of little else....it has a lot more. It has that IMR signature and I am listening now and enjoying them a lot.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2023 at 10:24 AM Post #11,072 of 18,511
Fomo struck again... BC incoming

Jan 25, 2023 at 10:31 AM Post #11,073 of 18,511
Jan 25, 2023 at 10:53 AM Post #11,074 of 18,511
Jan 25, 2023 at 11:05 AM Post #11,075 of 18,511
Good to hear your impressions. My feeling is that as of now - low burn-in time - I'm getting veiled and/or recessed vocals, cymbals, etc...to the point where I feel the urge to reach into the sound and pull them forward and demand a bit of a sharper sound out of them. Is any of this resonating with your experience?

I've not had planars from IMR before so don't know if this is par for the course until the diaphragm gets comfortable...or whether this is a wonky set.

Right now running them with red base/blue top. Red tops sounded muffled. All bottoms bassier than reds were another level, in my view way exceeding DM in quantity. I might still feel the DM was a bit tighter but need to reexamine. From recollection DM felt better balanced...but, again, maybe a burn in issue.
I'm actually quite ok with the mids and bass, pushed from the ifi go link it was marvelous, with good separation and depth. In comparison with dm I find it a lil bit more laid back in the mids and treble but not excessively nor muffled, which for me it's better since I prefer relaxed tunnings, one thing I found with the dm (and to anyone reading this, it fixed many things for me) was that the grills on the bottom (top and bottom therefor in rah) were loose and it affected the sound a lot. Maybe give em a check?

This morning I picked the bc again, it needs some serious juice to pull up, not a super hard to drive thing but it needs more than my dm.

Want to let em go all day ony daily transit, but they do sound way better than last night when I opened em

Same as everyone I'm wondering about this new driver. The smaller driver seems to be the same as knight and og bc (and maybe dm) with pretty good detail in the mids area but with a little harsh peak in the 4/5khz not over offending but it's there in some tracks. Need to smooth down. The og bc did it with burn in.

Jan 25, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #11,077 of 18,511
Fomo struck again... BC incoming
Holy ...., I'm a bit of a basshead myself but had to dial down the 1st set of Ozar a couple notches already (grey nozzles most of the time) ... they deliver all the slam and rumble I could ever ask for - in spades, down to about 15Hz on the E1DA - YMMV.

Anyway ... picked up my second set (pre-loved vs. B-stock) from the post office 2 hours ago and compared to the first pair w. the same tips & filters they're distinctively darker sounding, w. stronger mid-bass that bleeds a bit more into the lower mids this time but with the grey nozzles ((blue filters, shallow wide-bore tips) everything sounds nicely balanced with some wonderfully extensive and precise 3d imaging.
Apart from that they passed my trusty test tracks with flying colors, couldn't detect any flaws ... excellent clarity w. natural timbre & vocals through all the tracks, 160 Eurazos very well spent.
I'll leave the rest to some DAC/tips/filter/cable rolling and a couple weeks on the burn-in rig.

Jan 25, 2023 at 12:31 PM Post #11,079 of 18,511
What are your test tracks?
An eclectic mix of reference recordings of mostly acoustic instruments (jazz, orchestral, ...), vocals (m&f) from all over the place with some Chesky records & audio magazine test tracks thrown in + some of my own binaural recordings & test signals (sweeps, spatial tests, ...) all between 44/16 and 96/24 wavs and flacs ... collected over more than 30 years, lol.

Some of the albums I always run through first whenever I get some new gear:
Cassandra Wilson - Blue Light 'til Dawn
D'Angelo - Voodoo
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
John McLaughlin - Qué Alegría
Nicholas Payton - Into the Blue
Frank Zappa - Guitar
Donald Fagan - The Nightfly
Quincy Jones - Back on the Block
Mozart Violin Concertos - Marianne Thorsen, Trondheimsolistene, Oywind Gimse (from: www.2l.no, tons of ultra-res tracks)

Jan 25, 2023 at 1:05 PM Post #11,080 of 18,511
For those of you who have contacted IMR, how many days does it take them to reply?

I've sent a short, decent, email to info@imracoustics.com on Monday, January 23, stating my full name, my order number, and asking if there's any update regarding my Na-Le order. First time I've contacted them. First time customer. I have not heard from them, yet...

Jan 25, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #11,081 of 18,511
Sometimes there is no reply, sometimes it's same day. Sorry I can't give you a better answer. If you don't hear something by Friday, I recommend trying again.

Jan 25, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #11,082 of 18,511
For those of you who have contacted IMR, how many days does it take them to reply?

I've sent a short, decent, email to info@imracoustics.com on Monday, January 23, stating my full name, my order number, and asking if there's any update regarding my Na-Le order. First time I've contacted them. First time customer. I have not heard from them, yet...
I don't think they have started shipping NaLe yet. And from past experience I can say with 99.99% confidence that there is extremely thin chance of getting any shipping information anytime before end of next month or early March.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2023 at 4:54 PM Post #11,083 of 18,511

Na LE updates will be [bulk] emailed to all who ordered them end of this month. There might not be a reply on this question to individuals as we all be getting an update soon!
This has happened to me a couple of times :)

Jan 26, 2023 at 2:23 AM Post #11,084 of 18,511
Hello everyone. I've got pre-owned Dark Matter yesterday, and the very first thing that confuses me a little, how did they sound like when they weren't burned in? Mine sounds a bit shrilling in upper-mids, with a bit not enough treble even for a treble-sensitive person like me, so I'm thinking that the sound isn't complete yet. Their sound signature differs a lot from New Aten. BTW, there's a vent hole on the shell, so, no vacuum effect at all, at least I can be happy about that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back