Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jan 24, 2023 at 10:49 AM Post #11,041 of 18,516
If anyone's interested I'm listing my R3 Halcyon and Dark Matter for sale.

Jan 24, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #11,042 of 18,516
I actually got a decent deal on a L&P W2-131 so it’s running with that right now. So far it sounds awesome and I do enjoy the few slight tweaks easily available. I have the trusty Q5K as well for the BT needs. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t intrigued by the Paw S2 (AKM), Cayin RU6, and IFI Go Bar (Burr Brown) just to see if one stood out the most. It feels like this could be a pricey rabbit hole with minimal gain.
The Go Bar actually uses Cirrus master
cs41331 chips with ifi GTO filter. While it's good I am going to get a BB dac amp. The implantation is really the big thing. I have heard the Aune Flamingo and smsl c200 are really good and are on my list. I do have a mod'd little bear bx4 tube am with BB 21xx chips for opamps and some high end AD chips for a little extra low oomph.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2023 at 3:03 PM Post #11,044 of 18,516
I have looked up my IMR BC invoice and it has changed to say 2023 model, not the one I ordered. I am a little bummed about that but will reserve judgement for how it will sound .
I just received the 2023 BC. It is good....very good. Hopefully you will be happy.

Jan 24, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #11,045 of 18,516
Just a quick vent but definitely not a complaint about Bob (what can he do besides take it to the post office?)...
As long as tracking isn't simply outdated, the Ozar I got to come quicker than the NaLe has been sitting at his local post office since he dropped it off on the 9th of January.
I know there was the cyber attack that was meant to delay Royal Mail's international shipping, but that was stated at the time to delay only by 2 days, and I'd like to think that's been resolved by now...

So not Bob's fault, RM's if anyone's, but pretty awful to go through this much waiting when this was meant to be a way around endless waiting.

Jan 24, 2023 at 4:49 PM Post #11,046 of 18,516
Just a quick vent but definitely not a complaint about Bob (what can he do besides take it to the post office?)...
As long as tracking isn't simply outdated, the Ozar I got to come quicker than the NaLe has been sitting at his local post office since he dropped it off on the 9th of January.
I know there was the cyber attack that was meant to delay Royal Mail's international shipping, but that was stated at the time to delay only by 2 days, and I'd like to think that's been resolved by now...

So not Bob's fault, RM's if anyone's, but pretty awful to go through this much waiting when this was meant to be a way around endless waiting.
The Royal Mail stated yesterday that they were starting to process and move international letters and parcels and requested no one post new parcels Internationally for the time being. In the usual cack handed British way they are grinding the cogs at snails pace.

Jan 24, 2023 at 4:50 PM Post #11,047 of 18,516
The Royal Mail stated yesterday that they were starting to process and move international letters and parcels and requested no one post new parcels Internationally for the time being. In the usual cack handed British way they are grinding the cogs at snails pace.
Asking to halt all international packages outgoing... you'd think it'd be a huge financial blow that would oil the works!

Jan 24, 2023 at 4:54 PM Post #11,048 of 18,516
Asking to halt all international packages outgoing... you'd think it'd be a huge financial blow that would oil the works!
You'd think but thought was never a strong point for antiquated British monopolies

Jan 24, 2023 at 6:02 PM Post #11,051 of 18,516
Just a post to say You've never heard A-ha's The Sun always shines on TV till you hear it with the Opus Mia.... Mind blown

Jan 24, 2023 at 8:20 PM Post #11,053 of 18,516
Anyone here get the Rah 2023? Curious about your impressions. I'm finding the mids and treble really recessed and the bass more intense than DM (across black, blue, and grey bottom filters).

Altogether 15 or so hours of burn-in.
Just got it. Haven't tried it yet, I'm on the bc 23

So far... Ootb wasn't my cup of tea but mids are starting to open up. I was listening to dm just before it so as well that says a lot

Will take a couple of days before saying anything solid about em. I think they do need some serious burn in

Jan 24, 2023 at 8:38 PM Post #11,054 of 18,516
I love my Astra with DX312EXN. Looking forward to seeing how Elan+ can compete with them and with Avalon.

AMP12EXN is a mod made by Steven Sutcliffe from www.npaudio.co.uk situated in Leeds. He made a great job.
Interesting you have found this synergy. I think amp12 is the 300s version of amp8 on the 220. So Amp12exn could be similar to amp8fe & the Astra sing with this amp. DX220 + amp8fe + PWAudio m2 cable is my favourite setup for the Astra.

I hadn't seen the npaudio site so was good to see as they are in the UK. I had my DX220 & amp8 & 9 modded by fidelizer & would recommend his work highly. It was stressful to send everything to Thailand but worth it in the end. His prices were more reasonable than npa but I did it a couple of years ago.

If you have the Semper consider a modded amp13. The modded amp9 on the 220 & the Semper are a perfect match. The tubes do something magical to them.

Jan 24, 2023 at 8:43 PM Post #11,055 of 18,516
Wait until definitive burnt Elan+ reviews will be done.

...then after that, wait for the Zion reviews to instill more thoughts that Bob found a way to even further improve his masterful way of tuning bass.

Here is how I would rank bass from the ones I've heard/owned represented by 3 numbers subbass (rumble), mid\upper bass (kick), quality. Filters used: black\blue

Semper - (4,4,4)
Biggest sound and full. My favorite for live stadium and orchestral recordings.

EDC (OG) - (2,2,3)
Polite but still enough to satisfy my bass cravings

BC - (5,4,4)
Deepest bass and kicks hard like a horse.

EDP Ace - (2,3,3)
Same as OG with a touch more kick

Ozar - (4,4,4)
Perhaps my most favorite bass tuning. Good all rounder.

Splash of Gold - (3,4,5)
Very detailed bass

Splash of Red - (3,3,3)
Most balanced bass tuning of my IMR collection. Think EDP\Ace but with a bit more quantity.

Zenith II - (4,3,4)
Was expecting it to beat the BC in terms of subbass due to driver size but feel it fell short. Feed it enough power and it always puts a smile on my face.

Dark Matter - (4,4,4)
Needs a very long burn in (be patient and you'll be rewarded). I feel this the real successor to Semper but doesn't have that super big sound.

Avalon - (4,3,4)
A "brighter" tuning of Dark Matter. Subbass is still there but has less kick.

I'm really waiting to hear from those that got the Seraph+ with the new driver tech.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back