Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jun 10, 2022 at 1:02 PM Post #6,961 of 18,013
@Dobrescu George thank you for your Dark Matter review . Can you make a comparision between Elan and DM, please?

Hiii, sure,

Dark Matter is heavier, more voluminous, it is stronger and more impactful. I still like the Elan, the treble, at the brightest, is more shiny on Dark Matter, it can convey air better and has more extension in my experience, Elan is smoother.

Are you looking for something more on the comparison?

Jun 10, 2022 at 1:21 PM Post #6,963 of 18,013
My problem with IMR cables definitely isn't the ear guides.
I've found that on both the old cables (came with EDP, straight plugs, pinkish/copper colour) and the more recent, which I received with my Elan (still pinkish/copper colour but angled 2-pin plugs) the cables above the Y-split became very stiff after only a month or even less of moderate use. I mean REALLY stiff, all the way from the Y-split up to the 2-pin plug. I could bend my name into these cables in cursive and it would stay that way!
I really appreciated that Bob supplied all 3 jack sizes (!) with his iem's, but to be honest I'd be happier with a single cable of better quality.
Luckily cheap cables that fit are fairly common (or I've just been lucky with my 2-pin plug selections).
When I did use the OEM cables I re-shaped the ear hook by dipping that short section of the cable into a mug of freshly boiled water for a few seconds, which softens the guide long enough that it can be re-shaped and held in the preferred shape while it cools, and takes on the new shape permanently.
The cables which I haven't used (2.5mm jack) still remain reasonably soft and pliable, which led to to suspect that perhaps the stiffening effect was being caused by some sort of incompatibility between my skin chemistry and the cable insulation, but I now suspect that it's just the way the copper strands have been wound prior to the insulation being applied. It's just a guess though.

Jun 10, 2022 at 3:17 PM Post #6,965 of 18,013
@Dobrescu George, I wanted to buy Dark Matter, but my source is questyle m15 :frowning2: It's so sad that there is background noise with them. Have you tried listening to the 3.5mm output, is there any noise?

Im using it in 4.4 with the M15 and don't notice any noise... He'll I've used mine with my desktop rig and couldn't tell of any noise, these ain't sensitive at all

Jun 10, 2022 at 4:38 PM Post #6,966 of 18,013
I've found that on both the old cables (came with EDP, straight plugs, pinkish/copper colour) and the more recent, which I received with my Elan (still pinkish/copper colour but angled 2-pin plugs) the cables above the Y-split became very stiff after only a month or even less of moderate use. I mean REALLY stiff, all the way from the Y-split up to the 2-pin plug. I could bend my name into these cables in cursive and it would stay that way!
I really appreciated that Bob supplied all 3 jack sizes (!) with his iem's, but to be honest I'd be happier with a single cable of better quality.
Just to balance this. I have been using the 2021 cable (copper wire - angled connectors with colour code) exclusively on my DM. It’s as malleable now, as it was when I received it 5 weeks ago. Not sure of your location (or whether it’s a problem) but I’m the Uk and with significant use, it has not stiffened.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2022 at 5:13 PM Post #6,967 of 18,013
You will know. The bass on the DM is very special and has some heft and quality and it should show it's 'face' quickly. Of course they will burn in, but their quality should be apparent after a short while. The right set of tuning filters and eartips will enhance the experience though. Enjoy the Dark Matter ride. It's a good experience.
Totally correct👍 AND the bass OTB will be the most quantity wise before burn-in and will settle over time so you will for sure know if there is anything wrong with D.M's Bass pretty much the first time you hear it over the first couple of hours! Over time the bass 'should' settle down but INCREASE in quality. BUT,please please DONT have it in your head that something could be wrong with your new monitor's before you listen to them because the Placebo Effect can be EXTREMLY strong and can cause all sorts of issues with your perception of sound!
'deharmasteve' issue with his D.M was probably a faulty Driver or some other hardware issue like bad soldering or lose connections ect.. and these sorts of issues 'should'and 99.9% of the time will be apparent to any member of Headfi. Also, you need to bare in mind how rare these issue's really are?
In the 3 years of owning IMR Monitors and the length of time from when this thread started 'dharmasteve' is only the second person "I" have heard this has happened too! Don't get me wrong people have all sorts of problems with their monitors but, straight oot the box he is only the second IMR owner i have known this to happen to!
So my advice to you AND anyone else in fact is? Forget you ever heard the words "bad copy" and just enjoy your beautiful new monitors. But? "IF" at ANY time you think something just does not sound right and most importantly they 'do not' sound like Bob's description of the monitor, first come on hear to get some advice and if none of the advice sorts the issue to YOUR satisfaction hit up Bob and go from there. And the reason I strongly advise coming hear first is because you will be extremely surprised how simple the cure for your issue could be!
Before I go I just want to mention I am NOT bashing anyone especially 'dharmasteve' for using statements like 'bad copy' ect.. because that was what he had, I'm just trying to give any "less experienced" users some advice and if i offended anyone I sincerely apologize👍

Jun 10, 2022 at 5:13 PM Post #6,968 of 18,013
Just to balance this. I have been using the 2021 cable (copper wire - angled connectors with colour code) exclusively on my DM. It’s as malleable now, as it was when I received it 5 weeks again. Not sure of your location (or whether it’s a problem) but I’m the Uk and with significant use, it has not stiffened.
UK here too [shrugs], it's occured with 3 IMR cables that I've used regularly now, hopefully your cable remains flexible.
I did like the cables prior to this, especially the angled connectors, that's pretty unique in my experience.
I've got/had countless cables over the years, and only had really really old, well used cables go stiff in this way before, so it's puzzling why the IMR cables have done this.
In fairness though, I really don't care too much, as cables needn't be pricey to be good, and the Elan (and EDP) are so good that being forced to replace the cables is virtually a non issue for me.

Jun 10, 2022 at 5:39 PM Post #6,969 of 18,013
Luckily cheap cables that fit are fairly common (or I've just been lucky with my 2-pin plug selections).
When I did use the OEM cables I re-shaped the ear hook by dipping that short section of the cable into a mug of freshly boiled water for a few seconds, which softens the guide long enough that it can be re-shaped and held in the preferred shape while it cools, and takes on the new shape permanently.
The cables which I haven't used (2.5mm jack) still remain reasonably soft and pliable, which led to to suspect that perhaps the stiffening effect was being caused by some sort of incompatibility between my skin chemistry and the cable insulation, but I now suspect that it's just the way the copper strands have been wound prior to the insulation being applied. It's just a guess though.
I'm 48 years of age and have been in this hobby since I was 10 years old and this is the FIRST time i have heard this idea of putting the cable in hot water in order to re-shape the ear guids! IV tried all sorts including using a sharp blade to remove the plastic and nearly cut the tips of my fingers more times than I'd like to admit😝 what a simple & perfect remedy, I thank you VERY very much👍
On the topic of cables iv just received this with both 3.5 & 2.5mm and it's a great cable at an amazing price and I'm super super happy with it. They also do a sure silver option for about £23 I'm considering getting for Ace but I want to hear Ace first? It's a great modular system and can highly recommend it🤞

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220610-222515.png
    Screenshot_20220610-222515.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Jun 10, 2022 at 6:06 PM Post #6,972 of 18,013
Which colour top filter gives max treble?
I dont think its the black as that has foam
Also jvc spiral dot v1 and avalon is a good match but tips irritate me :frowning2:
Blue top gives max treble. Although the Dark Matter treble is too soft... I need EQ to fix it.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2022 at 6:08 PM Post #6,973 of 18,013
Why does it always seem like the black filters and nozzles are the ones with issues, not the other colours.
Bob is aware of the problem (uncommon but still happens) and will Special Delivery them back to me once received and sorted out with new bits - I'll tell him to remove them if possible!

Jun 10, 2022 at 6:23 PM Post #6,975 of 18,013
Im using it in 4.4 with the M15 and don't notice any noise... He'll I've used mine with my desktop rig and couldn't tell of any noise, these ain't sensitive at all

Dark Matter is not sensitive per se, they have a pretty average impedance, I just happened to review them about at the same time as M15, and noticed that M15 has a higher output impedance. While music is playing, it is normal to not notice any hiss or background noise, M15 does not have background noise or distortion, just a faint hiss, which is a result of impedance mismatching.

I also used Dark Matter with other destkop equipment, including Cyrus One Cast via adapter cables, as well as music players like DX300 and SE180, usually you can't hear hiss at all, with M15, there is a faint hissing. It might be too faint for most people to notice anyways, but as a reviewer I can't notice it and not mention it, otherwise what would even be the purpose of me reviewing things anymore...

Most people can listen with a tiny bit of hiss without a problem, especially since the hiss would stay quiet regardless of the volume, at about -50 dB to -70dB relative to the music playing at normal volumes, so chances are it is not noticeable.

@Dobrescu George, I wanted to buy Dark Matter, but my source is questyle m15 :frowning2:
It's so sad that there is background noise with them.
Have you tried listening to the 3.5mm output, is there any noise?

There is hissing, it is not audble while music is playing usually, but if you listen extremely quiet, you may notice it. Hissing is generally not an issue and some people do not notice it at all, since it is below the threshold of hearing, especially while music is playing. It is like a white noise that's extremely faint.

M15 is a bit hissy with sensitive IEMs, not just dark matter, but also Campfire Atlas, Xenn Mangird Tea 2, even Ambient Acoustics MAD24. The thing is, M15 has a slightly high output impedance.

Altoguh this is true, I still use M15 with Dark Matter personally, and it is not a problem for me, the noise is not audible with music, hissing is about less than half what I would get with FiiO X5 years ago, so I would not stress it too much.

If you don't have something with zero hiss on the table, like ddHIFI TC44C, for example (I simply have the two because I'm writing about the two, TC44C is not better than M15 only because it has lower hiss), then you won't notice it. I need to mention it, but it is not bad by any means, just a very faint trace of hiss on M15. I like M15 though, still use it with many IEMs and headphones, it is really convenient, its review also coming soon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back