Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jun 4, 2022 at 7:42 AM Post #6,812 of 18,013
On the subject of bluetooth dacs for use with IMR any opinions on shanling UP5 or ifi blu.
I have fio btr5 and shanling UP4 BUT WANT 4.4MM PORT as most my balanced cables are 4.4

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2022 at 8:17 AM Post #6,813 of 18,013
So in the middle of the Jubilee weekend,
this morning, Saturday, the postman came with my replacement Dark Matter IEM (just IEM only). Such was the excitement it took me all of a few seconds to undo the packaging, put the new Dark Matter on the Black cable. The older Dark Matter on the original copper coloured cable. Both with black bass filter, blue treble filter......Ohhh, relief, the new Dark Matter has bass, rows and rows more forwards than the older one. The older one had bass....the newer one has 'IMR' bass. 'Shovelheads', Shriekback is now vibrating my head and brain. On 'Vajrasattva' by Maietreya my head is vibrating in all directions. Rajat Dholakia, 'Ear to There', a bass drumfest. Bass....bass, real bass. Memories of standing in front of the speakers at the Roundhouse in Chalk Farm, vibrating from head to toe. This is IMR bass.....the famous IMR bass. The tuning combined with my iFi Go Blu is more analogue than digital.
Mids are the same as the original but now the bass has joined the mids on the very good staging. Technicalities are good without Piezzo or BA levels. Still it's well detailed. I'm a very happy bunny indeed. My very loved Ozar will take a rest....these are my go-to's......and I still have the burn in journey to go. I am a self-confessed bass person.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2022 at 8:45 AM Post #6,814 of 18,013
this morning, Saturday, the postman came with my replacement Dark Matter IEM (just IEM only). Such was the excitement it took me all of a few seconds to undo the packaging, put the old Dark Matter on the Black cable. The older Dark Matter on the original copper coloured cable. Both black bass filter, blue treble filter......Ohhh, relief, the new Dark Matter has bass rows and rows more forwards than the older one. The older one had bass....the newer one has 'IMR' bass. 'Shovelheads', Shriekback is now vibrating my head and brain. On Vajrasattva by Maietreya my head is vibrating in all directions. Rajat Dholakia, 'Ear to There', a bass drumfest. Bass....bass, real bass. Memories of standing in front of the speakers at the Roundhouse in Chalk Farm, vibrating from head to toe. This is IMR bass.....the famous IMR bass. The tuning combined with my iFi Go Blu is more analogue than digital.
Mids are the same as the original but now the bass has joined the mids on the very good staging. Technicalities are good without Piezzo or BA levels. Still it's well detailed. I'm a very happy bunny indeed. My loved Ozar will take a rest....these are my go-to's......and I still have the burn in journey to go. I am a self-confessed bass person.
With Avalon I hear that "pink" cable makes 11mm driver go deeper into sub-bass region. Pro cable has more mass on mid bass.

Jun 4, 2022 at 9:09 AM Post #6,815 of 18,013
With Avalon I hear that "pink" cable makes 11mm driver go deeper into sub-bass region. Pro cable has more mass on mid bass.

I'll compare shortly. With the newer black cable there is great bass impact. Sub-bass which is so important to give that reverb/rumble experience to the ears and brain that speakers give to the body.....I'll be keeping my ear on the sub-bass. In truth Bob has a great tuning ear. He tunes to a western audience. Very much how I remember bass in concerts, music not overtly bright but deep and fully experienced. With my SOG, Ozar and now Dark Mirror, I value the more analogue sound Bob tunes to. There will always be a problem with hand placed drivers, a micro out of line and bass gets lost....always a chance of unit variability. It takes skill and an experienced group of assemblers to keep the sounds consistent. IMR have unique tunings and the reason why George Dobrescu of Audiophile Heaven has placed the Ozar in his hall of fame.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2022 at 9:43 AM Post #6,816 of 18,013
I'll compare shortly. With the newer black cable there is great bass impact. Sub-bass which is so important to give that reverb/rumble experience to the ears and brain that speakers give to the body.....I'll be keeping my ear on the sub-bass. In truth Bob has a great tuning ear. He tunes to a western audience. Very much how I remember bass in concerts, music not overtly bright but deep and fully experienced. With my SOG, Ozar and now Dark Mirror, I value the more analogue sound Bob tunes to. There will always be a problem with hand placed drivers, a micro out of line and bass gets lost....always a chance of unit variability. It takes skill and an experienced group of assemblers to keep the sounds consistent. IMR have unique tunings and the reason why George Dobrescu of Audiophile Heaven has placed the Ozar in his hall of fame.
Here are 2 tracks with maximum sub-bass impact (for my ears) where you can easily notice low freq extension

During the first seconds of the track there is a deep bass rumble with pro cable it was week with pink one noticeably richer

@dharmasteve If you have a possibility, find out FLAC of it, or if you want PM me, I'll send you mine via telegram

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2022 at 9:59 AM Post #6,817 of 18,013
Although I have no Flagship IEMs, this Dark Matter is in my mind a Flagship. Beautiful mids, big badass bass, nice coherent treble....and I haven't burned in yet. BIG BIG sound. Not for the fainthearted. We got a bargain guys.

Jun 4, 2022 at 10:18 AM Post #6,818 of 18,013
this morning, Saturday, the postman came with my replacement Dark Matter IEM (just IEM only). Such was the excitement it took me all of a few seconds to undo the packaging, put the new Dark Matter on the Black cable. The older Dark Matter on the original copper coloured cable. Both with black bass filter, blue treble filter......Ohhh, relief, the new Dark Matter has bass rows and rows more forwards than the older one. The older one had bass....the newer one has 'IMR' bass. 'Shovelheads', Shriekback is now vibrating my head and brain. On 'Vajrasattva' by Maietreya my head is vibrating in all directions. Rajat Dholakia, 'Ear to There', a bass drumfest. Bass....bass, real bass. Memories of standing in front of the speakers at the Roundhouse in Chalk Farm, vibrating from head to toe. This is IMR bass.....the famous IMR bass. The tuning combined with my iFi Go Blu is more analogue than digital.
Mids are the same as the original but now the bass has joined the mids on the very good staging. Technicalities are good without Piezzo or BA levels. Still it's well detailed. I'm a very happy bunny indeed. My very loved Ozar will take a rest....these are my go-to's......and I still have the burn in journey to go. I am a self-confessed bass person.
Just wondering with your ifi go blue, how do you find it when you pair it with multiple source? Is it easy to disconnect and re connect or you have to pair each time? Also it seems there is a pre set up EQ on ifi go blue, do they change the sound character by much? And It seems there is no clip attached for on the go travel, is there any case we can put on to add the clip?

Jun 4, 2022 at 10:46 AM Post #6,819 of 18,013
Just wondering with your ifi go blue, how do you find it when you pair it with multiple source? Is it easy to disconnect and re connect or you have to pair each time? Also it seems there is a pre set up EQ on ifi go blue, do they change the sound character by much? And It seems there is no clip attached for on the go travel, is there any case we can put on to add the clip?
I pair it with my TV and Phone (Sony Xperia 5ii). I haven't really paid a lot of attention to multiple connections. When I disconnect from the TV my Sony picks it up. The sound quality, to me, is top notch. It gives me many hours per charge.
There is a very tiny little soft leather (probably faux leather) bag for the iFi included and if you add a lanyard it is easy to wear round the neck. The case with the clip would be no use to me. There is a little button on the Go Blu that adds bass and increases the spacial awareness. It suits me because I'm a bit older so don't get a need to keep changing EQ. I would give the Go Blu a very high score, but we are all different and expect different things from our music. The Go Blu has genuinely excellent sound on LDAC.

Jun 4, 2022 at 11:13 AM Post #6,820 of 18,013
What are your actual IMR iems that you listen to with DX300?
I had the Aten, the Red, the Halcyon, and the Opus Mia. But now I don't have any IMR (DM on its way, I hope not so long than yours :sweat_smile:).

Jun 4, 2022 at 11:24 AM Post #6,821 of 18,013
I should have commented earlier….I have the UTWS5, 5k, RU6, and have used the GoBlu. Happy to answer any ?s

Jun 4, 2022 at 11:29 AM Post #6,822 of 18,013
Here are 2 tracks with maximum sub-bass impact (for my ears) where you can easily notice low freq extension

During the first seconds of the track there is a deep bass rumble with pro cable it was week with pink one noticeably richer

@dharmasteve If you have a possibility, find out FLAC of it, or if you want PM me, I'll send you mine via telegram

Yep you are right. The flesh/pink coloured copper cable has a minutia more sub-bass bloom than the Pro black cable, but the Pro cable has slightly more impact. For the Dark Matter, with the Pro cable, there is enough sub-bass to please even the pickiest and enough impact to be nigh on a basshead IEM.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2022 at 12:40 PM Post #6,823 of 18,013
On the subject of bluetooth dacs for use with IMR any opinions on shanling UP5 or ifi blu.
I have fio btr5 and shanling UP4 BUT WANT 4.4MM PORT as most my balanced cables are 4.4
I've got the UP5 and it's an excellent DAC / BT Dac. Shanling house sound has always been based on AKM chips and even though this has got ESS dual dacs inside they've managed to tune it with full clarity and detail while retaining a "touch" of warmth. It's got tons of driving power, operates as a plug n play USB DAC or with dedicated drivers and I didn't think I'd care about the display screen, but now that I've got it, I'm really glad it's there for on the fly gain, EQ and codec selection. It's a strong buy in my opinion. If you decide you want one, PM me. I can get you a good discount from one of the Ali sellers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back