Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
May 2, 2022 at 11:21 AM Post #6,211 of 18,012
Does anybody has both Avalon & Elan? How do you feel about mids and the intimacy of the sound stage n signature comparing this two iems?

Because I've got some weird feelings...
1) Subbass on Elan goes deeper even if DD is smaller (11mm vs 10mm) here is some track that shows it out:
Bersarin Quartett at the beginning there is a low freq sound that rumbles on Elan and feels weaker on Avalon.
2) Mids are forward on Elan so they feel like they are more transparent comparing to Avalon, this is why mids on pro's are perceived as veiled. Elan have more in common with CA Andromeda in this department. And Avalon continue Elysium's a bit darker sound signature. Here: Kllo female vocal on Avalon sounds darker than on the Elan. So singer appears older :o2smile:
3) Sound stage on pro's is reeeeeally huge so again compared to Elan that sound with more intimacy and presence, Avalon appear more defused (too spacious). Little Dragon here have more cohesive sound.
Am I the only one that hears like this?
P.S.(Sorry for mistakes)
I agree soundstage is spacious on the Avalon, but I quite like the effect.
When I'm in a nice relaxed listening environment the sound stage can emanate sound well outside the sphere of between the headphones. I occasionally feel the sensation of listening as if without having on the iems.

May 2, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #6,213 of 18,012
Apart from burn-in, did you make any mod on your Ozars??
I bought the Ozars from the Classifieds, B-Stock, used. They sounded sweet but the bass was under for my liking. I contacted Bob and he asked me to send them in. Within a few days he'd returned them and they had definitely had some alchemy done. They now sound fantastic, best DD I've ever heard. I use black bass lower with blue treble filter and L Spiral Dots, stock 2.5 mm cable (I like my bass) with a FiiO 4.4mm adapter. I think Bob swapped the Ozar I sent in. Probably the best customer service I've had, and from my side I'm so happy it's from a UK company. I've got the EDP Ace on order and bought the SOG because it's discounted till the 3rd May.

May 2, 2022 at 1:54 PM Post #6,215 of 18,012
Wow, I kind of envy you!! My B-stock Ozar is my best purchase ever when it comes to IEMs. I did regret getting the Unique Melody 3DT afterward. And worst of all, it cost almost twice as much as I paid for the Ozars!!
Kudos to Bob, is a treat dealing with him, unparallel customer service!!!
There are so few reviews for the Ozar that hardly anyone will know how good a single DD can be. I'll have to do one when they are burned-in.

May 2, 2022 at 3:41 PM Post #6,217 of 18,012
What is the main diffrences / upgrade between SOG and Dark Matter?

Last edited:
May 2, 2022 at 4:59 PM Post #6,218 of 18,012
Wow, I kind of envy you!! My B-stock Ozar is my best purchase ever when it comes to IEMs. I did regret getting the Unique Melody 3DT afterward. And worst of all, it cost almost twice as much as I paid for the Ozars!!
Kudos to Bob, is a treat dealing with him, unparallel customer service!!!
UM 3DT was on my shortlist a year ago ... from what I have been told, IMR is well ahead of those.

May 2, 2022 at 5:48 PM Post #6,219 of 18,012
UM 3DT was on my shortlist a year ago ... from what I have been told, IMR is well ahead of those.
Yes and no, bass is way better on any IMR

However mids and soundstage in a way (cause its small but quite open) on the 3dt are quite on point. Stock cable is a pile of... But the headphones are quite good. The bundles are worth it, the um carry case is next to none. It might not be on some people taste but it's a good way to try a 3dd headphone. I expected a lot from it but learnt to love it

May 2, 2022 at 6:50 PM Post #6,220 of 18,012
However mids and soundstage in a way (cause its small but quite open) on the 3dt are quite on point. Stock cable is a pile of... But the headphones are quite good. The bundles are worth it, the um carry case is next to none. It might not be on some people taste but it's a good way to try a 3dd headphone. I expected a lot from it but learnt to love it
I must be one of the few people who does not dig the 3DT. I have tried my best to like them but no such luck. There is something in the higher midrange that irritates me whenever I try them. Such a pity.
On the other hand, listening to the Ozars are such a bliss....

May 2, 2022 at 11:16 PM Post #6,222 of 18,012
There are so few reviews for the Ozar that hardly anyone will know how good a single DD can be. I'll have to do one when they are burned-in.
That would be great! Looking forward to reading it!

May 3, 2022 at 2:25 AM Post #6,223 of 18,012
F21EA031-B60E-48F3-A6EC-DEE090BA315F.jpeg

Enjoying the Avalon in a lazy afternoon :)

May 3, 2022 at 3:28 AM Post #6,224 of 18,012
I agree soundstage is spacious on the Avalon, but I quite like the effect.
When I'm in a nice relaxed listening environment the sound stage can emanate sound well outside the sphere of between the headphones. I occasionally feel the sensation of listening as if without having on the iems.
There is one last option. Bob didn't completely agreed with what I referred on Avalon regarding upper mids "backwardness". So I tried Avalon with Elan's cable and I felt that the sound became just a "pico" brighter. So I suppose that the new cable also makes the sound just a bit darker than it actually going to be with another one.
At this point I have to experiment with some cables.

UPD: sub bass now reaches deeper regions as well as Elan do. Everything fixed with an old cable.

1651579077444.png

Last edited:
May 3, 2022 at 7:08 AM Post #6,225 of 18,012
Ozar's are brighter, thinner, drier with more narrow sound stage, worse separation and resolution specially on treble.
With Avalon's "dark" cable Ozar's sound became way juicier! Now it's a pleasure listen to them. So actually another cable should fix my "complains" on Avalon upper mids

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back