Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Apr 23, 2022 at 1:47 AM Post #5,971 of 18,017
I believe I have already posted about this, but nevertheless, here is what Bob told me:

I have only refrained from getting the EDP Ace because I am totally smitten with DD timbre currently, and I was unsure how the Planar will play here. That and I also had a feeling that even though the EDP Ace has more drivers than Elan, the ultimate tuning will not be better than Elan. It might be, but it might not be - remains to be seen.

The current iems I have on my radar are Sennheiser IE600 and Shanling MG600, subject to audition I might decide if I need any of them, or if I need them at all, since I already have the Elan and LOAK-T(CL) in that range. But, if, IF, an EDP Ace creeps up on the pre-loved/B-stock section, you bet I'm gonna press the Buy Now button faster than light!
Thanx for that Ace Bee really appreciate it.
it's that dreaded word "balanced" that really bloody frighten's me! It will probably be music to the ears for the majority of you BUT I'm a extreme basshead even when listening to non-EDM, DnB ect..!
I'm just keeping my fingers crossed with the open-back bar and a bit of EQ things will be ok? I wait to see?

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2022 at 3:12 AM Post #5,972 of 18,017
it's that dreaded word "balanced"
I dont think bob could ever make a neutral/flat or ballanced headphone. Every IMR product I have had has emphasised the bass and its why I have bought so many of them. I just dont trust most other products to meet this requirement. For me I want my headphones and sound systems tuned tastefully for a strong low end as it enhances the experience greatly when done right. I go out of my way to tune sound systems that can be loud but also not sound harsh. I think this is a hard thing to achieve and I think bob has done this almost perfectly in the PB1/halcyon.

I would interpret Bob's "balanced" as to mean that each driver is playing to its streangths over the frequency range and also plays nicely with being in phase at its natural volume crossover points but thats just my 2c.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2022 at 3:55 AM Post #5,973 of 18,017
¿No está seguro de cuántos de ustedes usan EQ? Pero IV se topó con una aplicación de ecualizador de 31 bandas en Google Play Store llamada "SpotEQ31".
IV todavía no me he metido con él, así que no estoy seguro de cómo suena y la estabilidad, pero, si no me equivoco, ¿es el ÚNICO ecualizador de 31 bandas en Android?
También tiene otras características y también un ecualizador de 15 y 10 bandas junto con el de 31 bandas para usuarios con conocimientos limitados de audio, curvas de ecualización ECT.
Y todo por la gran suma de £ cero
Ya lo estoy probando!!
El ecualizador de fiio music nunca me ha gustado y creo que este puede ser una buena opción. Muchas gracias.

Apr 23, 2022 at 4:25 AM Post #5,975 of 18,017
Nabbed my set last night. Great price!

Apr 23, 2022 at 4:32 AM Post #5,976 of 18,017
Owning the Avalon I too wonder if it's worth getting the Dark Matter too.

Apr 23, 2022 at 4:39 AM Post #5,977 of 18,017
Thanx for that Ace Bee really appreciate it.
it's that dreaded word "balanced" that really bloody frighten's me! It will probably be music to the ears for the majority of you BUT I'm a extreme basshead even when listening to non-EDM, DnB ect..!
I'm just keeping my fingers crossed with the open-back bar and a bit of EQ things will be ok? I wait to see?
I own 5 planar iems and the ace will be my 4th

Audeze ising 10 and 20 with v1 and v2 ios cables

Well they r amazing but no comment lol

Timeless - single planar

Been a while since i listened to it as one of the foam filters has come out so waiting for replacement but the amount of detail on this is 🔥🔥🔥
Bass is slightly above flat
My other iems have more bass than this incl my monarch

P.D.1 10mm planar + 10 mm dd

Now this set has BASS
I love it for edm

I3 Pro planar - dd and ba

Not had much time with my i3 but i like it for live bands
Has some bass not as much as the pd1 dont think
Not much testing yet

Now i cant wait for the edp edp

I hope its gonna have the bass of the pd1 with the resolution and detail of the timeless but we will see

Im also a bit shocked theres no crossover for the dd and planar

I dont think there is one on the pd1 so the dd kinda over rides the mids that u would get from the planar a bit???

Apr 23, 2022 at 4:41 AM Post #5,978 of 18,017
Owning the Avalon I too wonder if it's worth getting the Dark Matter too.
I couldn't pick between the 3
Those two and the one with planar

Went with the avalon
But from what i have read ( i have tried to read most of the pages in this post 🤣)
They are two completely different sound signature's

I could be wrong as i tried to find the comments last night again but no luck lol

Apr 23, 2022 at 5:17 AM Post #5,979 of 18,017
@reminence Im really keeping my fingers crossed your correct and I'm pretty sure you are? As you say the IMR House sound is an elevated bass done right and i don't think there's any reason he would deviate from that now? If it's similar to my SOG & OM i will be a happy man and anything more will just be icing on the cake! I'm also really looking forward to Ace because i don't really own a Vocal-Centric monitor really? I have monitors that sound great but, if I'm not mistaken Vocals are a Planar's forte? Everyone who managed to pick up one of the 125 Ace's is actually a VERY lucky person because there isn't one monitor available with this configuration and I'm pretty much certain there won't ever be one? Hell, I'd go as far as saying i don't think a monitor with just Planar & Bone Conduction let alone a CNT Dynamic added to the mix! It's a great time to be a personal audio enthusiasts😍

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2022 at 5:55 AM Post #5,980 of 18,017
I own 5 planar iems and the ace will be my 4th

Audeze ising 10 and 20 with v1 and v2 ios cables

Well they r amazing but no comment lol

Timeless - single planar

Been a while since i listened to it as one of the foam filters has come out so waiting for replacement but the amount of detail on this is 🔥🔥🔥
Bass is slightly above flat
My other iems have more bass than this incl my monarch

P.D.1 10mm planar + 10 mm dd

Now this set has BASS
I love it for edm

I3 Pro planar - dd and ba

Not had much time with my i3 but i like it for live bands
Has some bass not as much as the pd1 dont think
Not much testing yet

Now i cant wait for the edp edp

I hope its gonna have the bass of the pd1 with the resolution and detail of the timeless but we will see

Im also a bit shocked theres no crossover for the dd and planar

I dont think there is one on the pd1 so the dd kinda over rides the mids that u would get from the planar a bit???
I'm really curious on Timeless/Ace comparison because I've heard a lot of strong positive words about timeless, like they should cost 5 or 7 hundred $ for what they offer etc. So it's really interesting how they will feel one in front of the other

Nice try Bob, all b-stock units were taken. Nice try

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2022 at 6:19 AM Post #5,981 of 18,017
I'm really curious on Timeless/Ace comparison because I've heard a lot of strong positive words about timeless, like they should cost 5 or 7 hundred $ for what they offer etc. So it's really interesting how they will feel one infront of the other

Nice try Bob, all b-stock units were taken. Nice try
I'd like to comment on that. In short: No. When you go beyond $500, theres an immediate shift in how individual notes are being presented, and Timeless did not have that finesse. There's a refined quality in the sound of iems in the range of $500-700. Against them, Timeless sounds like a flashy kid, that may dazzle you innitially with its brilliantly transparent and airy sound and vibrant energy, along with a fairly powered low end, but when you go to a $500 iem from Timeless, you'll immediately notice the better fleshed out notes, better timbre, just an all over better refinement. I'm talking mostly regarding DD iems though. My LOAK-T(CL) certainly sounds much better than Timeless (from memory), and Elan, even if it might have a less airy sound, the notes are definitely much better defined than Timeless (again, from memory).

Apr 23, 2022 at 6:42 AM Post #5,982 of 18,017
I'd like to comment on that. In short: No. When you go beyond $500, theres an immediate shift in how individual notes are being presented, and Timeless did not have that finesse. There's a refined quality in the sound of iems in the range of $500-700. Against them, Timeless sounds like a flashy kid, that may dazzle you innitially with its brilliantly transparent and airy sound and vibrant energy, along with a fairly powered low end, but when you go to a $500 iem from Timeless, you'll immediately notice the better fleshed out notes, better timbre, just an all over better refinement. I'm talking mostly regarding DD iems though. My LOAK-T(CL) certainly sounds much better than Timeless (from memory), and Elan, even if it might have a less airy sound, the notes are definitely much better defined than Timeless (again, from memory).
This is even more evident when you listen to said $500-$700+ immediately after listening to a lower priced monitor! I had this exact experience a couple of weeks ago just prior to selling my MEST mkll? I had been listening to my SOG for a good hour or so and decided to pop out to visit a freind and thought i would swap to my MEST for the journey, as soon as i pressed play with the MEST now in my ears it was as if a veil had been lifted away from the music! It was quite incredible really because prior to the change i was marveling in how bright & open the SOG sounded with a lovely soundstage but, as soon as i had the MEST in my ears it was like a blanket had been covering the music!
Not only does this example highlight what you mention but, it also highlights how futile memory is and how strong the placebo effect is with audio/sound!

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2022 at 7:14 AM Post #5,983 of 18,017
For me the main thing about timeless is that everything sounds so effortless. Can't comare it to anything I have, it's sounds different to the point that when you switch to/from it the brain takes time to adjust to sound changes.

And I don't think Ace will be too comparable due to DD at least (and I don't actually want it to 😉) Hope it'll be great in it's own IMR way.

Have Halcyon with Avalon and Ace incoming and really hope they would all be different. Especially Avalon compared to Halcyon as the driver configuration for both is similar, so a bit concerned wether Avalon is just a bit improved Halcyon. Would be disappointing.

Apr 23, 2022 at 7:20 AM Post #5,984 of 18,017
hope they would all be different. Especially Avalon compared to Halcyon as the driver configuration for both is similar, so a bit concerned wether Avalon is just a bit improved Halcyon. Would be disappointing.
I can confirm they are quite different in terms of the bass dynamics (new driver is a big change) and also frequency spectrum being a fair bit hotter in treble and upper mids. I would be curious to hear your impressions when they arrive.

Apr 23, 2022 at 8:16 AM Post #5,985 of 18,017
I'd echo that - Halcyon and Avalon are very different from a baseline tuning perspective, and also from a technical performance perspective. Avalon with the BC and tighter dynamic driver presentation takes things a stage further in terms of overall clarity and resolution than the Halcyon did, to my ears. Caveat - with black bottom and blue filters I'm not finding them sharp or hot, so I might be less sensitive to Bob's high mid / treble peak than some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back