Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Apr 22, 2022 at 1:13 PM Post #5,956 of 18,017
I'm tempted by Dark Matter at this price. I already have Avalon. I am not sure it i worth it to buy DM too

Apr 22, 2022 at 1:20 PM Post #5,957 of 18,017
N.B. The promo code from mail list of this afternoon has been sent on November to all subscribers (not even members) and worked all this time long.
Just a pity that it also worked for flash sale of ACE

However got a present from him as weel as other waiting company, so it's fine.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #5,959 of 18,017
Why do you post the Loyality code ?

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2022 at 1:32 PM Post #5,961 of 18,017
N.B. The promo code from mail list of this afternoon has been sent on November to all subscribers and worked all this time long.
👍

Apr 22, 2022 at 3:31 PM Post #5,962 of 18,017
N.B. The promo code from mail list of this afternoon has been sent on November to all subscribers (not even members) and worked all this time long.

However got a present from him as weel as other waiting company, so it's fine.
Did I miss out on something😋

Apr 22, 2022 at 6:23 PM Post #5,966 of 18,017
Whilst on the subject of Ace has anyone spoken with Bob regarding tuning? As i say, IV never heard a Planar before but I'm wondering which frequencies each driver is gonna be responsible for? It's really confusing with Bob's monitors because he doesn't use crossover's! Normally we could get an idea with cut-off's and driver type's and get an idea of what's going on but, with Bob not using crossovers i have NO idea what's going on!
Without asking Bob i can only suspect the CNT ADLC will be full spectrum due to its wide band and the Planar being centred around a specific area? and the BC will just be gravy!
But this is ALL speculation without asking Bob personally?
God know's what voodoo magic he uses instead of crossovers lol

Apr 22, 2022 at 7:17 PM Post #5,968 of 18,017
Not sure how many of you use EQ? But IV just stumbled upon a 31-Band EQ App on the Google Play Store called "SpotEQ31"
IV not messed around with it yet so I'm not sure how it sounds & stability but, if I'm not mistaken it is the ONLY 31-Band EQ on Android?
It also has other features and also a 15-Band & 10-Band EQ along side the 31-Band for users with limited knowledge of audio,EQ curves ECT..
And all for the greatly sum of £zero

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2022 at 12:16 AM Post #5,969 of 18,017
Whilst on the subject of Ace has anyone spoken with Bob regarding tuning? As i say, IV never heard a Planar before but I'm wondering which frequencies each driver is gonna be responsible for? It's really confusing with Bob's monitors because he doesn't use crossover's! Normally we could get an idea with cut-off's and driver type's and get an idea of what's going on but, with Bob not using crossovers i have NO idea what's going on!
Without asking Bob i can only suspect the CNT ADLC will be full spectrum due to its wide band and the Planar being centred around a specific area? and the BC will just be gravy!
But this is ALL speculation without asking Bob personally?
God know's what voodoo magic he uses instead of crossovers lol
I believe I have already posted about this, but nevertheless, here is what Bob told me:

1650687399779.png

I have only refrained from getting the EDP Ace because I am totally smitten with DD timbre currently, and I was unsure how the Planar will play here. That and I also had a feeling that even though the EDP Ace has more drivers than Elan, the ultimate tuning will not be better than Elan. It might be, but it might not be - remains to be seen.

The current iems I have on my radar are Sennheiser IE600 and Shanling MG600, subject to audition I might decide if I need any of them, or if I need them at all, since I already have the Elan and LOAK-T(CL) in that range. But, if, IF, an EDP Ace creeps up on the pre-loved/B-stock section, you bet I'm gonna press the Buy Now button faster than light!

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2022 at 1:12 AM Post #5,970 of 18,017
Totally disagree. Ozar's are brighter, thinner, drier with more narrow sound stage, worse separation and resolution specially on treble. Avalon are clearly a higher tier gear. Just impossible to put them close. Maaaaaybe with Elan, they are closer, but not with Ozar. Ozar have good sub-bass, but Avalon have way better mid bass. Mids on Ozar are a bit more forward than on Avalon, but lack on resolution. Ozar are probably better with some less micro dynamic sources, more musical.
I have had another comparison listen and I see your points and mostly agree with it being a fair bit brighter and harsher in the treble which I didnt remember from my initial impressions. However I don't think the other aspects are as big of a difference given the price. That said sound signature or frequency response (inc any harsh peaks) is the most important aspect to me and they are definately inferior to the avalon. Even with some drastic EQ's there is still a harshness in the trebble that can't be aleviated without also muting some of the frequencies. Because of this I feel like the subjective corrective graph attached here is still incomplete.

ozar, still harsh.jpg

Keep in mind these are not measurement eq's, they are completely subjective, personal, rough corrective EQ that is only applicable to the frequency response and not other qualities such as stereo field, resolution, seperation, and subjective feelings etc. I did not take a huge ammount of time on these so I suspect they could be out up to ~3db if spending hours on them with more tracks etc. Also extended burn in may change things too, so lots of variables at play here. I do find that in the limited area where a corrective frequency graph is usefull it can convey a lot more information than words, hence I thought it was worth sharing them.

Since I use a great range of audio devices with my headphones and I use them for work purposes I cannot apply the exact same corrective eq under all these circumstances and hardware used so therefore I stick to never using corrective eq specifically for my headphones. As I said before finding out the corrective EQ's helps a lot to be aware of how the headphones are affecting the signal chain and how they can be affecting my work. I can then use this information to hopefully counteract how it is affecting things and therefore this data is very valuable to keep in mind when working.

Hi, If you don't mind could you ecplain to me how you are connecting/using your in-ear monitors within Ableton Live? Are you just pluging them into your audio interface, using EQ8 to find your perfect curve and then coping the curve to your DAP/Phone? I also own Live, but i use it for hobby purposes not my main job!
Also, Regarding the harshness & sibiliance with each monitor,you say they are all black/black, is there a reason you are not using the other Treble Filters to reduce the peaks and then use EQ to fine tune the sound?
One last thing, do you know if you was one of the first 50 when you purchase Avalon? If yes then the Experimental Tuning System's are now built and should be with the lucky first 50 buyer's very soon and this MIGHT also fix you sibiliance issue?
Hope this helps & all the best 👍

I am mostly doing exactly what you think in ableton live with a different channel for each headphone to switch settings and output between. I do not use these settings anywhere else (phone/ live mixer) but it proves invaluable when mixing using these headphones to be aware of how the headphones will be affecting your mixing end result. For that reason I am switching my work phones to the PB1's which does not need really any corrective eq other than the loudness sensitivity peak which I am used to dealing with with all speakers and headphones anyway.

I do find most of the upper filters do not do all that much and when they are doing something it can affect other qualities equally such as resolution/seperation negatively as well. Keep in mind that I am focusing on frequency response here and the measurement graphs provided as well as third party measurments indicate the upper filters are not altering the response all that much, with a few exceptions. I have changed filters on some of them etc but for the comparison it made sense to stick with all the filters being the same. As for the sibilance on the semper, I have not found any filters to properly correct it.

I recieved the Ozar as a gift and my avalon sn is 96 (-50 for dark matters) so I am assuming I may also get the tuning system which is exciting indeed.

i would love to get a discription of its sound & characteristics in comparison to the CNT ADLC Driver and maybe Electrostats?

From both the PB1, RAH (returned broken for PB1) and semper I can say it adds a richness and also huge soundstage to the mids and lower mids. As I said before the diferences betweene the PB1 compared to halcyon was its stereo width and detail in there respective frequency areas (planar for mids estats for trebble). In some ways I feel like the mids are much wider on my PB1 than the avalons even with the BC drivers. I can't speak highly enough of the planar in the RAH and PB1 as to me they hold there own even over the newer models in their frequency area (broad mid range slightly into treble). To me the sempers laid back response does not lend well to pronouncing the effect of the planar in it but its still great. Miles better than the old aten or ozar especially in stereo field/immersion. The CNT ADLC driver does have a huge affect on the bass region but as another user mentioned, in not all cases better than the old driver. The main difference is in how dynamic or damped the new driver is. It does not ring out and is probably tighter than any other bass response I have ever heard whilst also being pronounced (loud). I personally love this as I believe it shows much more detail in the bass than other drivers would be able to deliver. However in doing so it can feel far less analog/warm/full and too analytical as its not what we are used to with other headphones or big subwoofers that have so much mass behind them filling in the dynamic gaps with extra cone movement or harminics.

In all honesty I think somewhere in between would be best from the view of a music lover but I lean towards the CNT ALDC because I apreciete the resolution and detail especially for my work and its hard to seperate that.

As stated before I have my issues with the treble on the avalon (more than semper) and even more on the ozar but for now I am hoping burn in fixes things, although burn in never helped with the sibilance on my semper so I remain fairly skeptical and may trade it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back