Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Apr 14, 2022 at 12:50 PM Post #5,866 of 18,013
Hi guys. I just got an R3 Halcyon. I am an IRM virgin 😁 And I have to say that I am totally puzzled by the tuning system. What type of voodoo is that? The upper ones at least have some fillament (which looks exactly the same, but ok). But the bottom filter - that's a total head scratcher: apart from the colors they look 100% identical to my eyes. Can anyone of you shed some light regarding how they are supposed to work. I mean, yeah I see in an instruction that somehow they influence FR. But how? If they weren't colored I would never in my life tell them apart.

Apr 14, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #5,868 of 18,013
Hi guys. I just got an R3 Halcyon. I am an IRM virgin 😁 And I have to say that I am totally puzzled by the tuning system. What type of voodoo is that? The upper ones at least have some fillament (which looks exactly the same, but ok). But the bottom filter - that's a total head scratcher: apart from the colors they look 100% identical to my eyes. Can anyone of you shed some light regarding how they are supposed to work. I mean, yeah I see in an instruction that somehow they influence FR. But how? If they weren't colored I would never in my life tell them apart.
If you look carefully in the annular groove (not where the lip of your ear-tip sits, the other one) you should see a tiny hole, which acts as a bass vent. It's present on all of the nozzles (apart from the black one which is fully closed) and the differing hole size provides the different bass tuning.
I think!

Apr 14, 2022 at 10:34 PM Post #5,870 of 18,013
Ozar's seems to have stronger sub-bass than the Dark Matter, can anyone confirm this? Have about 250hrs on them, maybe they need more?
Bob seems to recommend 200-300 hours burn-in.

Apr 15, 2022 at 12:08 PM Post #5,871 of 18,013
1650038723562.png
1650038882335.png

Apr 16, 2022 at 5:00 AM Post #5,874 of 18,013
Does anyone use the golden nozzle? That's the unmistakable one 😀 Just curious what would be the usecase for it?
I do. I use it in combination with the blue upper. Gives me the right amount of clarity in the treble and mids without sacrificing too much bass. To my ears the black lower was too boomy and ultimately fatiguing.

Apr 16, 2022 at 5:19 AM Post #5,875 of 18,013
I do. I use it in combination with the blue upper. Gives me the right amount of clarity in the treble and mids without sacrificing too much bass. To my ears the black lower was too boomy and ultimately fatiguing.

I find black lowers take away a lot of detail with the DM (though like them with the Ozar's).

Apr 16, 2022 at 5:39 AM Post #5,876 of 18,013
Interesting. I tried your combination with the open back and felt like in a movie theater somehow. Guess can skip on the movies now and save for those Seraphs 😆

Those look so interesting on paper, but a bit too weird and expensive for a blind buy. Though really tempting. 🤔

Apr 16, 2022 at 8:08 AM Post #5,877 of 18,013
Interesting. I tried your combination with the open back and felt like in a movie theater somehow. Guess can skip on the movies now and save for those Seraphs 😆

Those look so interesting on paper, but a bit too weird and expensive for a blind buy. Though really tempting. 🤔
You referring to the Seraph and Seraph+?

Edit: Apologies. Just re-read your post and saw that you are referring to the Seraphs! Yes. they do look interesting but I am just not sure about the use case for the inline amplifier and what to do when either the battery runs out or needs replacing. I am sure Bob will have a solution.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2022 at 8:53 AM Post #5,878 of 18,013
You referring to the Seraph and Seraph+?

Edit: Apologies. Just re-read your post and saw that you are referring to the Seraphs! Yes. they do look interesting but I am just not sure about the use case for the inline amplifier and what to do when either the battery runs out or needs replacing. I am sure Bob will have a solution.

Same here, I like things that just plug in without any extra 'complications' (read I'm lazy). Though it does say the battery is user replaceable.

Apr 16, 2022 at 9:06 AM Post #5,879 of 18,013
Same here, I like things that just plug in without any extra 'complications' (read I'm lazy). Though it does say the battery is user replaceable.
Yes! I missed that! Interesting!

Apr 16, 2022 at 9:16 AM Post #5,880 of 18,013
When I first got the Halcyon it took me ages to find the right filter combination my advice is start with the least bass and work up I finally settled on purple/pink lower with blue upper. They are now one of my most used iems a really magical set with organic analogue bass and beautiful smooth spacious mids and treble. Enjoy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back