Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jan 22, 2022 at 4:59 AM Post #4,606 of 18,013
Updated by Bob that my Dark Matter will be shipped on Tuesday. Expecting to receive it on the 1st week of Feb.
Hopefully this means that all first wave Pro models will be shipped at the same time.

Jan 22, 2022 at 5:00 AM Post #4,607 of 18,013
Do you own B.C? I really need to know how the bone conduction effects the sound and the bass in particular?
Also really want to know if there is more bass and if its technically better? I'm still on the fence whether to pick a set up or not? I would really really appreciate your first impression's once you recieve it?
I'm also really curious regarding the "experimental tuning system" and the all new Presintation case, would it be to much to ask if you could chuck in a few photos once you recieve them?
Thanks in advance for your help and really hope you enjoy the first IMR "Pro" monitor👍
Sure, when I received it. Did you explore your Bass Cannon with Silver nozzle, the one with the least bass? IMO, it has better bass respond and a more balance SQ.

Did you get an email?
Yes, when I asked. But may need to rephrase it in a more diplomatic manner- Packing on Monday and shipping starts on the following day.

Jan 22, 2022 at 6:34 AM Post #4,608 of 18,013
Sure, when I received it. Did you explore your Bass Cannon with Silver nozzle, the one with the least bass? IMO, it has better bass respond and a more balance SQ.
It's funny you say that about the Grey nozzle because B.C was my ONLY IMR i did not explore the bass filters and stuck with black due to having my mind fixated on getting the most bass possible! Also, i dont know what you think? But to me the Grey nozzle favours mid-bass slam which is great for hip-hop, house,metal ect.. but due to most of my basshead Libabry being Drum&Bass i prefer the black nozzle with its sub-bass extension & rumble!
With all that said I'm always up for experimenting when given some advice so i will give the grey nozzle a good going over👍 unfortunately i no longer have my B.C i sold it to fund getting my UM Mest mkll but, i just recieved my SOG a couple of days ago and am in the middle of burning & sound analysis so will give it a shot with them?
That's why I'm so Intrested in the DM because i instantly regretted selling my B.C once they went and due to DM having pretty much the same configuration as B.C but with added bone conduction i really want to know how much of an improvement the DM is over the B.C and if it justifies over double the price? If it is then i have a big decision to make? Do i save a bit longer and pick up the DM or do i leave it and pick up both the EDP Ace & Focus Audio EDM? because at the moment i don't have a "dedicated" basshead monitor and after lots of glowing reviews and BGGR saying the Focus Audio EDM is the best Basshead IEM he has heard for years and pretty much in the same league as Legend X & Aurisonics AGS-2.5 for £129 DM will need to be VERY special to beat getting ACE & EDM!
Thanks for the advice regarding the grey nozzle and i sit patiently waiting your impressions on Dark Matter?

Jan 22, 2022 at 9:22 AM Post #4,609 of 18,013
I really need to know how the bone conduction effects the sound and the bass in particular?
In Elan (single BC driver) there is no effects on Low Frequences but on High Mids and a bit on Low Highs adding a layer of kind of reverberations, increasing a bit sound space and scene imagination

P.S. and some kind of physical sound presentation like some subtile pleasant vibration feeling on some instrument like hang, xylophone, or 8 bit electric sounds or sometimes adding energy and analog dynamic feeling on distorted guitars. Really nice

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2022 at 10:31 AM Post #4,610 of 18,013
After more than 250 hours of burning, effectively, Splash of gold sounds better, to my ears.
It's more balanced, with better voices, and more precise highs.
With red nozzle, it's always fun, but balanced too.
Soundstage is nice too, with a good positioning of instruments and voices.
I really appreciate.
There is nothing wrong, with these SOG.
I just changed the cable for the Dunu duw02, more confortable and, maybe, a little more detailled.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2022 at 10:36 AM Post #4,611 of 18,013
In Elan (single BC driver) there is no effects on Low Frequences but on High Mids and a bit on Low Highs adding a layer of kind of reverberations, increasing a bit sound space and scene imagination
Yes your absaloutly correct i done some quite intensive listening sessions with the Elan so i could give AceBee some in deapth sound analysis, i also own MEST mkll which pretty much spans the whole frequency 350hz and above. I'm just really curious how Bob has used the B/C in a heavy hitting bass monster? I just have a feeling he has or maybe had to tune it different due to the fact the actual FR of Dark Matter is tuned so much different to all other imr models which include B/C?
For example, from what i have read Empire Ears used their bone conduction targeted at the low & mid range, a guy over on the UM Mest thread said he can actually feel the LX EVO vibrate in his fingers when he holds it! to be fair though i wouldn't be surprised if most of that is coming from the 2 Weapon x bass drivers!
See that's the thing with bone conduction, its so hard to say/hear exactly what it is doing and what would be lost if it was taken away?
I just think Bob being a Basshead himself i think he may have tweaked the B/C a bit different just for Dark Matter but, its a bit of an expensive blind buy to find out for myself! That's why this thread is SOOO valuble, we can't really audition these monitors and once you start getting to know people and what THEY like there sound impressions become extremely valuable!

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2022 at 11:08 AM Post #4,612 of 18,013
Yes your absaloutly correct i done some quite intensive listening sessions with the Elan so i could give AceBee some in deapth sound analysis, i also own MEST mkll which pretty much spans the whole frequency 350hz and above. I'm just really curious how Bob has used the B/C in a heavy hitting bass monster? I just have a feeling he has or maybe had to tune it different due to the fact the actual FR of Dark Matter is tuned so much different to all other imr models which include B/C?
For example, from what i have read Empire Ears used their bone conduction targeted at the low & mid range, a guy over on the UM Mest thread said he can actually feel the LX EVO vibrate in his fingers when he holds it! to be fair though i wouldn't be surprised if most of that is coming from the 2 Weapon x bass drivers!
See that's the thing with bone conduction, its so hard to say/hear exactly what it is doing and what would be lost if it was taken away?
I just think Bob being a Basshead himself i think he may have tweaked the B/C a bit different just for Dark Matter but, its a bit of an expensive blind buy to find out for myself! That's why this thread is SOOO valuble, we can't really audition these monitors and once you start getting to know people and what THEY like there sound impressions become extremely valuable!
As a technology BC provides really large selection of usage. I mean we've seen some working prototypes of sunglasses with BC installed into the tips that provided a full phone speaker function or fingertips with BC installed into outer ring that also worked as a bt phone speaker just touching the bone close to your ear. The technology offers a lot, thus it tritely depends on engineer what to do with BC and how to tune it. However, in Bob we trust, considering his love to Low Frequences I'm sure nobody will be disappointed
Added something to the previous comment regarding impressions on BC driver

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2022 at 12:33 PM Post #4,613 of 18,013
As a technology BC provides really large selection of usage. I mean we've seen some working prototypes of sunglasses with BC installed into the tips that provided a full phone speaker function or fingertips with BC installed into outer ring that also worked as a bt phone speaker just touching the bone close to your ear. The technology offers a lot, thus it tritely depends on engineer what to do with BC and how to tune it. However, in Bob we trust, considering his love to Low Frequences I'm sure nobody will be disappointed
Added something to the previous comment regarding impressions on BC driver
I didn't realize it's scope of usage was that wide already, very interesting and an amazing time to be an audio junky😍
I was going to look it up but cos we are on the subject and you seem to have a good handle on the B/C technology maybe you will be able to settle my curiosity? I was doing a bit of tip rolling earlier and had my UM Mest box out and noticed for the first time a Bone Conduction Patent Number & Gold Stamp on the bottom of the box, what is the scope of there patent? do companies like IMR & Empire Ears have to pay a fee to Unique Melody in order to use this technology?
To be honest Dark Matter is one of if not my most anticipated iem of all time, I'm a true Audiophile Basshead and if it is as special as Bob says it is and is a huge step up from Bass Canon it will for sure be added to my collection even if i have to eat beans on toast for the next month😝

Jan 22, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #4,615 of 18,013
I didn't realize it's scope of usage was that wide already, very interesting and an amazing time to be an audio junky😍
I was going to look it up but cos we are on the subject and you seem to have a good handle on the B/C technology maybe you will be able to settle my curiosity? I was doing a bit of tip rolling earlier and had my UM Mest box out and noticed for the first time a Bone Conduction Patent Number & Gold Stamp on the bottom of the box, what is the scope of there patent? do companies like IMR & Empire Ears have to pay a fee to Unique Melody in order to use this technology?
To be honest Dark Matter is one of if not my most anticipated iem of all time, I'm a true Audiophile Basshead and if it is as special as Bob says it is and is a huge step up from Bass Canon it will for sure be added to my collection even if i have to eat beans on toast for the next month😝
I doubt that. Since the Bone Conduction motor IMR uses is notably different than what UM uses: UM's one are circular plates, whereas IMR ones are like BA drivers, rectangular box shaped. I believe these Bone Conduction motors are sourced from Sonion - https://www.sonion.com/hearing/bone-conduction-sensors-and-actuators/bone-conduction-vibrator/
So this is an entirely different sort of technology altogether.

1642878732633.png

1642878830181.png

While I was changing the nozzles, I could have a peek at the inside of the iem, and I have seen a similar driver like the above picture inside.

Jan 22, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #4,616 of 18,013
Also, look at the frequency response curve:

1642879051880.png

This accurately corroborates @paggio 's observation:

P.S. and some kind of physical sound presentation like some subtile pleasant vibration feeling on some instrument like hang, xylophone, or 8 bit electric sounds or sometimes adding energy and analog dynamic feeling on distorted guitars. Really nice

Jan 22, 2022 at 7:10 PM Post #4,617 of 18,013
Where does these info come from???

Does anybody know what is Bob common gear DAP or DAC? Or maybe his recommendation for it, just a curiosity (not only mine)...
I tried to find out something in these thread, but nothing.

He used to own an nice Astel & Kern a while back - He gave it away in a competition on Facebook
Interesting question. Ive always found his descriptions of the sound of his IEMs to be spot on.
I do know he does not listen to other companies IEMs !

Jan 22, 2022 at 7:25 PM Post #4,618 of 18,013
would the EDP Ace be a good starting point for me to get an impression of what IMR is about?

also, if anyone can answer, what are the main differences between models besides driver configuration? how do they rank in terms of sound?

thanks

Welcome to the club !
If you check my posts over the last few years Ive talked extensively and in analogous detail on almost all the IMR models - Ive owned something like 20 to date!
I have found all of them to be simply outstanding...to the point I just can't see myself buying any other IEMs from any other supplier out there. It nay well just be that his tuning suits my personal tastes but I feel confident enough to say that no-one else is creating or is in the same league as him (speaking off the over all package)
:)

Jan 23, 2022 at 7:22 AM Post #4,619 of 18,013
EDP Ace, Bob writes:

"Now its time to bring it back for 2022 with a few tiny tweaks to the original much loved formula. This is the EDP ACE"
"We have chosen to swap out the previous 9mm dynamic and replace with our 10mm carbon nanotube ADLC dynamic driver due to its ability to offer a wider presentation and increased bass & midrange/vocal abilities. By doing this we don't alter the original recipe too much but give the EDP ACE some added abilities."

Notice, the changes are minor compared to the original EDP. Also, EDP have never been basshead headphones, so it's hardly worth looking for good basses there, except perhaps at the new zenith 2.

And I'm wondering how Bob made this driver configuration so cheap, compared to the same Elan, which has the same dynamic driver and bone conduction driver, as well as Elysium, which has an a.d.l.с. and bone conduction driver and a slightly larger planar.

Either the price of Elysium and Elan was initially too high for their sound, or the new EDP/Zeniths are built on simplified drivers. Or is there some other secret?
In general, time will tell, but I do not expect any breakthrough in sound from them, compared to the models that we already have.
For now, I'm passing, skipping these models and watching for future updates.

Jan 23, 2022 at 8:16 AM Post #4,620 of 18,013
Either the price of Elysium and Elan was initially too high for their sound, or the new EDP/Zeniths are built on simplified drivers.
I definitely think that the Elysium's list price was grossly inflated for what the earphone actually delivers. Even with the usual discounts it was borderline overpriced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back