Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jan 14, 2022 at 12:23 PM Post #4,516 of 18,062
Until covid I was a digital naysayer I have a huge vinyl and CD collection and top grade hifi. As my family settled into being home all the time and my wife working from the Sofa in my listening/living room I moved into this hobby/rabbit hole. And what a journey it has been between IMR acoustics and Chifi iems and the aforementioned DAPS I have achieved audiophile/auditory revelations beyond my wildest dreams. No one needs a dap but my life would be far less convenient and enjoyable with out one.

Jan 14, 2022 at 12:44 PM Post #4,517 of 18,062
Sound like a tremendous DAP. Thanks!
End of the day - you really NEED to hear from budget to TOTL with your own ears so if/when possible I would think it very worthwhile to visit an audio store where you can demo DAPS. Often times I have reached a great place in terms of quality and have been really happy but then I hear something more 'high end' and the magic deepens. Its a lot of fun slowly growing ones experience, appreciation and understanding of what real quality highs, mids and low end actually are and the same learning what you personally like but...it can save a bit of money if you are lucky enough to find an 'end game' bit of kit for you :wink:

Jan 16, 2022 at 4:29 AM Post #4,519 of 18,062
As it’s about mid Jan, just wondering if any of you guys had started receiving the shipping notification for both Avalon and Dark Matter?
I expect the shipping of those two models to start this coming week.

Jan 16, 2022 at 10:10 AM Post #4,520 of 18,062
On the subject of DAPs, I have the standard FIIO M11 which I believe is mid-range or thereabouts. I have both the Semper and Rah and to be honest, I can't tell much of a difference with this source. Will upgrading to a better DAP eg iBasso DX300/DX240 make the Semper shine?

Jan 16, 2022 at 10:26 AM Post #4,521 of 18,062
On the subject of DAPs, I have the standard FIIO M11 which I believe is mid-range or thereabouts. I have both the Semper and Rah and to be honest, I can't tell much of a difference with this source. Will upgrading to a better DAP eg iBasso DX300/DX240 make the Semper shine?
Well the DX 300 has quad CS43198 where as the DX240 ES9038 Pro Dac chips
They both have specific sound signatures
Roughly speaking the M11 has a warm soothing signature? (from memory)
The CS chips are similar but a bit cleaner maybe where as the ES Dac chips are more dynamic and aggressive. I find the CS chips to be easiest to listen to over all - Ive always liked the ES chips especially with IMR house sound.
TBH though I have always found AK chips to be very un-natural sounding in some ways and have not found one yet that I find natural enough sounding.
Whether one can clearly hear the difference - maybe depends on ones experience in terms of quantity and quality over time - The more different things you listen to with audio the more you learn the subtle differences between them
I wonder as well if it depends on how you listen.
Personally I listen a lot more to the audio to simply the over all music so Im [maybe?] a lot more aware of the subtleties of the instrument presentation and their properties in relation to how different Dac chips sound and so on

Personally I would say YES although in terms of how much better the Semper & Rah can sound by improving the quality of the source you would need to experience that for yourself.
I hear a fairly big improvement just by going balanced never mind using a higher quality DAP
I can only speak to my own experiences but until you hear for yourself the differences . . .
Over many years I have learnt what a 'better' quality actually is in terms of how instruments and vocals are presented but its taken a long time of slowly improving and upgrading equipment and the quality of listening

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2022 at 11:33 AM Post #4,523 of 18,062
Sabres chips are a bit dry but very precise, dx200 on double es9028pro was a surgeon and yes dynamic and aggressive :)
Agreed :) I think that's why the full body and superbly tuned treble of IMR suits it well

Jan 16, 2022 at 1:04 PM Post #4,525 of 18,062
Well, in my opinion the Elysium isn't better than the Semper, even though it came out later. Heck, I like it the least of the four IMR sets that I have, but I somehow cannot let it go. It may not have the Semper's detail or the Aten's lively presentation, but I keep returning to it, because its analogue sound does something for me the others don't.

Jan 16, 2022 at 1:10 PM Post #4,526 of 18,062
Well, in my opinion the Elysium isn't better than the Semper, even though it came out later. Heck, I like it the least of the four IMR sets that I have, but I somehow cannot let it go. It may not have the Semper's detail or the Aten's lively presentation, but I keep returning to it, because its analogue sound does something for me the others don't.
Yes, i find the Elysium very sweet and smooth but still plenty of detail. It goes very well with a chill Evening.🥰

Jan 16, 2022 at 1:54 PM Post #4,527 of 18,062
Yes, i find the Elysium very sweet and smooth but still plenty of detail. It goes very well with a chill Evening.🥰
I wouldn't say it has "plenty" of detail, but there's just enough not to call it a dark-tuned earphone. Although, I expect that depends on how much detail one finds to be "plenty". To me, the Elysium isn't an iem I would reach for to listen to details in recordings. But, like you said, it is great for some chill listening.

Jan 16, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #4,528 of 18,062
Just got an email that I can place my order (NOT get on waiting list) for the EDP Ace ... but no mention of the 25% loyalty discount mentioned here previously.

Maybe I'm not worthy...

Jan 16, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #4,529 of 18,062
Just got an email that I can place my order (NOT get on waiting list) for the EDP Ace ... but no mention of the 25% loyalty discount mentioned here previously.

Maybe I'm not worthy...
You should have got another e-mail with the discount code for 2022 about 5 hours ago.

Jan 16, 2022 at 2:34 PM Post #4,530 of 18,062
You should have got another e-mail with the discount code for 2022 about 5 hours ago.

Thanks for clarifying. Fits into the recent history of not getting some IMR emails. I'll message Bob...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back