• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oct 30, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #4,081 of 18,013
Soooo...
A grey cloudy rainy week in UK so what to do?

How about.....

A Splash of Red?

Very interesting !

Ive been trying to find a portable DAP and a 'cheaper' IMR for walking, being out and about but that still is capable of tickling my Audiophile needs and I think we are finally there
Bought a Plenue D2 which has a great battery life and a balanced output and is very powerful - Loving it so far
and best of all the Splash of Red (SOR) has a great synergy and more importantly some qualities that really suit traveling for example

So the SOR - what does it sound like?
I was surprised that OOTB at the incredible 3D holographic space around the head sound - dont think Ive heard an IMR that has it this much
Also the purity, clean nous, separation and accuracy are like no other IMR...and Ive had a few! This is No. 14 !!
It really is a exceptionally pure sounding magically relaxed and sweet IEM. It makes you feel so effortlessly happy and comfortable to listen to. Its hard to express but when something in audio is done perfectly there is a an 'acceptance' in the m listening mind that just allows a kind of relaxing INTO it.
(you would be surprised at difficult it is to actually achieve this and to find it - Its takes so little for something in the back of your mind to not be -quite happy- with what it is hearing and then to subtlety not allow you to 100% absorb INTO and fully enjoy the music)

Its fair to say its an 'Audiophile tuning' so using the black filters the low end is spot on - perfectly balanced with the rest of the spectrum with enough punch and weight to be about as perfectly balanced as you could wish for. The D2 DAP is a warmish DAP with some good weight to the notes which is what gives it such a good synergy with the SOR

Because the details, separation and staging are so exceptional you can listen without missing anything at very low levels but when you give the SOR some volume they really wake up.

Anyhoo, suffice to say I am loving the SOR. They certainly have a characteristic - Easily the BEST 'Treble head' IEM I have ever heard. Because each instrument is given its own unique space and is incredibly pure and clean this aspect is very noticeable so makes for quite a magical experience when walking about.
Im glad to finally clearly hear what Bob has been saying when he refers to searching for an update to his Aten driver and what that would entail in terms of an improvement.

I should add that running the SOR balanced adds more 'authority' and weight to the notes and somewhat firms up the mids and highs. !
They have only had 100 hours or so. Very excited to hear them when fully settled in :)
The original R2 Red is what first drew my attention to IMR. Never got my ears on those. These look equally good ... and "sounds" like they perform well too. :)

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2021 at 4:13 PM Post #4,082 of 18,013
Soooo...

How about.....

A Splash of Red?

splsh red.JPG

Very interesting !

Ive been trying to find a portable DAP and a 'cheaper' IMR for walking, being out and about but that still is capable of tickling my Audiophile needs and I think we are finally there
Bought a Plenue D2 which has a great battery life and a balanced output and is very powerful - Loving it so far
and best of all the Splash of Red (SOR) has a great synergy and more importantly some qualities that really suit traveling for example

I was surprised that OOTB at the incredible 3D holographic space around the head sound - dont think Ive heard an IMR that has it this much
Also the purity, clean nous, separation and accuracy are like no other IMR...and Ive had a few! This is No. 14 !!
It really is a exceptionally pure sounding magically relaxed and sweet IEM. It makes you feel so effortlessly happy and comfortable to listen to. Its hard to express but when something in audio is done perfectly there is a an 'acceptance' in the m listening mind that just allows a kind of relaxing INTO it.
(you would be surprised at difficult it is to actually achieve this and to find it - Its takes so little for something in the back of your mind to not be -quite happy- with what it is hearing and then to subtlety not allow you to 100% absorb INTO and fully enjoy the music)

Its fair to say its an 'Audiophile tuning' so using the black filters the low end is spot on - perfectly balanced with the rest of the spectrum with enough punch and weight to be about as perfectly balanced as you could wish for. The D2 DAP is a warmish DAP with some good weight to the notes which is what gives it such a good synergy with the SOR

Because the details, separation and staging are so exceptional you can listen without missing anything at very low levels but when you give the SOR some volume they really wake up.

Anyhoo, suffice to say I am loving the SOR. They certainly have a characteristic - Easily the BEST 'Treble head' IEM I have ever heard. Because each instrument is given its own unique space and is incredibly pure and clean this aspect is very noticeable so makes for quite a magical experience when walking about.
Im glad to finally clearly hear what Bob has been saying when he refers to searching for an update to his Aten driver and what that would entail in terms of an improvement.

I should add that running the SOR balanced adds more 'authority' and weight to the notes and somewhat firms up the mids and highs. !
They have only had 100 hours or so. Very excited to hear them when fully settled in :)
Those red plates look great, I'm going to ask Bob if he has a pair that he'll sell me for my new Elan!
I can't comment on my Elan yet (just got them), except to say they're a great looking set in person.
These SOR are the 'odds and ends' oem that is like the Elan minus the bone conduction drivers yeah?

Oct 31, 2021 at 4:33 PM Post #4,084 of 18,013
Oct 31, 2021 at 4:38 PM Post #4,085 of 18,013
Those red plates look great, I'm going to ask Bob if he has a pair that he'll sell me for my new Elan!
I can't comment on my Elan yet (just got them), except to say they're a great looking set in person.
These SOR are the 'odds and ends' oem that is like the Elan minus the bone conduction drivers yeah?

They are 'old' Ozar tuned drivers but...the 3d holographic soundstage is like nothing Ive ever heard from an IMR !! and the realism at times can be frightening. Very much a treble head IEM but its quite magical..like real fairy type magical !!

Oct 31, 2021 at 8:08 PM Post #4,086 of 18,013
Elans haven’t any detachable faceplates. It’s a fake faceplate and it's a part of the shell.

Attachments

• 111photo_2021-10-02_02-13-12.jpg
    111photo_2021-10-02_02-13-12.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 31, 2021 at 9:37 PM Post #4,087 of 18,013
Soooo...

How about.....

A Splash of Red?

splsh red.JPG

Very interesting !

I went with the open retuned Ozars, still waiting for them to arrive.

Oct 31, 2021 at 9:54 PM Post #4,088 of 18,013
Elans haven’t any detachable faceplates. It’s a fake faceplate and it's a part of shell.
Ah well, I'll be content with all black then, still good looking shells.
My Elan's are very early in the burn-in process, but bass sounds like it has more 'meat on it's bones' than the EDP, which is my only, very minor wish for the EDP - moar bass.
My Elans are going back for a minor fix which Bob says is very easy.
He gave me an excellent price on one of the cosmetically challenged Elans, but they are actually near flawless.
If anyone is debating getting an Elan you'd better be quick as I think Bob's down to the last unit or two left now.
I'm really looking forward to getting a proper listen to these when they get back to me as they sound very full and rich in the brief time I've spent with them in my ears.

Oct 31, 2021 at 9:56 PM Post #4,089 of 18,013
Bob told me SOR is Ozar with red faceplate. I went with the open port off menu iem.

Nov 1, 2021 at 3:15 AM Post #4,091 of 18,013
IMR web site shows 29 avail for Avalon, 26 for Dark matter, I thought some might have them already.
hopefully owner impression Will start to flow out.
As @weexisttocease mentioned they are not planned to ship earlier than december.

So impressions will only arrive for Christmas or just before.

Im actually hoping to receive Stingray soon after too. Who knows maybe a double Christmas present lol.

Nov 1, 2021 at 8:12 PM Post #4,092 of 18,013
Curious if anyone (or several anyones) can recommend specific tracks I can explore with my new Elan to put them through their paces. I've got a handful of "test tracks," but as I try different filter combos I'm getting a little sick of the same stuff.

But, Peter Gabriel's "Sky Blue" sounds fantastic even after the 10th time. :L3000:

Vielen Dank.

Nov 1, 2021 at 8:32 PM Post #4,093 of 18,013
Curious if anyone (or several anyones) can recommend specific tracks I can explore with my new Elan to put them through their paces. I've got a handful of "test tracks," but as I try different filter combos I'm getting a little sick of the same stuff.

But, Peter Gabriel's "Sky Blue" sounds fantastic even after the 10th time. :L3000:

Vielen Dank.
Couple of quickys - subtle ones ! - more for treble & mids / vocals :D

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2021 at 8:43 AM Post #4,094 of 18,013
Couple of quickys - subtle ones ! - more for treble & mids / vocals :D

Thank you for those. I've been exploring many of Herr Zimmer's soundtrack/score recordings and Intersellar certainly has a strong quality...suitable for a space opera.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back