• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sep 14, 2022 at 8:55 AM Post #9,528 of 18,013
My video about Zenith II

Great review! Thoroughly enjoyed it and agree with your views on the Zii. It is currently my go to iem and pairs superbly with the N8ii!

Sep 14, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #9,529 of 18,013
So... AVALON how good is it? Compared to similar priced iems in the real world(outside of the IMR cocoon) or even the DM

Sep 14, 2022 at 2:43 PM Post #9,530 of 18,013
So... AVALON how good is it? Compared to similar priced iems in the real world(outside of the IMR cocoon) or even the DM
Good question. I have seen very few comments about Avalon ... and what I have seen makes me think it was a bit of a damp squib. But that could be far off the mark.

Sep 14, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #9,532 of 18,013
The only thing I can compare it to outside of IMR's offering is iBasso's IT07 which has very similar sound signature, but IT07 is less fuzzy in the mids and just a little bit brighter (Avalon in the red bottom with blue top configuration). It's cheaper than the Avalon and comes with a few tuning filters itself. If I had to choose between the two, I'd stay with the IT07.

Sep 14, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #9,534 of 18,013
Avalon is one of the most balanced iems that I've heard (both Ace and Halcyon are quite unbalanced with their own quirks). As a side effect, it doesn't really wow me with anything.

As my price range is 100-400 eur, avalon being 600 is also the most expensive, so can't really compare to it's peers price wise, but it kind of sounds like it (and I don't buy into this 1k+ bracket for it when pretty much everyone got avalon at a hefty discount. Imo it's pure marketing BS on Bob's side).

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2022 at 6:46 PM Post #9,535 of 18,013
Meh, I don't mind Bob rewarding loyalty by offering big discounts to early buyers. The simple fact that he accepts returns effectively makes it a guarantee. And he offers B stock at discounts as well.

Aside from the long pre-order waiting earlier this year, I really don't have any issues with how Bob handles his business. I think it's top notch.

Sep 15, 2022 at 6:59 AM Post #9,536 of 18,013
After 600 hours or more, I dont' know if it happened initially thanks to other cables, but on Avalon mids finally poped up. However, in Russian IMR community other two users as well confirmed that with the pure silver cable Avalon make their best. What do I mean?
Balanced sound with better/faster dynamic driver response, because comparing to 10mm bespoke drivers with the stock hybrid cable Avalon's 11mm drivers sound slightly loose (relaxed) with kind of bloated sound stage and mids that for me are too backward so the copper cable makes them maintain this behavior with some change on sub bass and mid bass and slightly better mids. Meanwhile with the silver one they show up the holographic sound in all it's beauty, I finally clearly understood what is it. They also have the cleanest mids (less fuzzy as @Poganin mentioned before) sound that I missed at the beginning. Treble are really good and they don't bite. Sound stage becomes well positioned large in all directions (axes) without an impression that it's bloated.
Avalon are kind of a DM upgrade with larger sound stage (they are less intimate), richer treble and better overall resolution. So for those who are looking for a higher level DM, Avalon can be an alternative. But keep in mind you'll need a silver cable on mine and not only advice. Last month I've got a used one from Alo audio for less than 100€. So if you check classifieds you can find out some for a reasonable price. A few moths ago I've seen Effect Audio's Thor pure silver cable for 130€.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2022 at 1:47 PM Post #9,537 of 18,013
IMR has had my Ace for three weeks (right unit had a mild rattle). I emailed them Tuesday and got a response today:

"We’re currently waiting on the arrival of more bone conductors as that was the fault with your EDP Ace."

Interesting. So more than just a loose component, sounds like a failed component, so very eager to hear the fixed version. Eventually.

Sep 15, 2022 at 2:01 PM Post #9,538 of 18,013
IMR has had my Ace for three weeks (right unit had a mild rattle). I emailed them Tuesday and got a response today:

"We’re currently waiting on the arrival of more bone conductors as that was the fault with your EDP Ace."

Interesting. So more than just a loose component, sounds like a failed component, so very eager to hear the fixed version. Eventually.
That makes sense, I had assumed the bone conduction might be the issue with mine. Before I found the rattle I had become obsessed with the idea that there was some channel imbalance issue because I just felt like the sound was different. I thought it was just loose inside the shell or something though, not defective.

Sep 15, 2022 at 2:25 PM Post #9,539 of 18,013

I just received mine, Yesterday.
IMR said that "The fault was a loose component from deep within the shell.".
Now I will continue the burning, on these.

Sep 15, 2022 at 3:02 PM Post #9,540 of 18,013
That makes sense, I had assumed the bone conduction might be the issue with mine. Before I found the rattle I had become obsessed with the idea that there was some channel imbalance issue because I just felt like the sound was different. I thought it was just loose inside the shell or something though, not defective.
I thought maybe I had an imbalance, but wondered if that was just in my head because of the rattle. Meaning: the rattle might mean something wasn't right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back