Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
May 10, 2022 at 2:18 AM Post #6,348 of 18,013
Has anyone ever used a custom mold woth there imr iems? Bot the shell obv the like the tip?

Im wondering how well they work

And if anyone has used it on the avalon?

I think that might be a better investment than an actual expensive cable 🤔

May 10, 2022 at 4:36 AM Post #6,349 of 18,013
I think that might be a better investment than an actual expensive cable 🤔
According to what IMR chat community refers a good cable like PWaudio or Effect Audio probably would be the best investment. Also because good cables rest independently from sources or iems.... However, it's necessary to listen to them by yourself because of possible peaks and the response of the cable's materials(chemical elements) with specific iems. Not every cable has a coherent sound

Last edited:
May 10, 2022 at 10:32 AM Post #6,351 of 18,013
May 10, 2022 at 10:57 AM Post #6,352 of 18,013
I would really like to try this on my avalons

Its probably one of the worst fitting iems i have owned and i have tried so many tips but i do have more tips coming lol

Interesting option. If you give it a go, let us know how well it works.

May 10, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #6,353 of 18,013
I would really like to try this on my avalons

Its probably one of the worst fitting iems i have owned and i have tried so many tips but i do have more tips coming lol

Just had a thought ... wondering if this silicone "housing" might reduce impact of bone conduction due to material between motor and ear. May not be ideal option with BC?

May 10, 2022 at 4:53 PM Post #6,355 of 18,013
Just had a thought ... wondering if this silicone "housing" might reduce impact of bone conduction due to material between motor and ear. May not be ideal option with BC?
I also had this concern thats why i asked
But i think its only like £12 for the mold so its not going to break the bank

Would need to try and find a solution for the filters altho probably wont affect it too much
Maybe put a tube around the filter so then theres a gap between the mold and filter???
Trial and error i guess

May 10, 2022 at 6:21 PM Post #6,356 of 18,013
Can't wait for DM to arrive 😊 will share impressions.
I have received Dark Matter 8 days ago and started burn in, at around 30 hours I was hearing a thunderous sub bass slam from DM comparing to my Ozar, and more of a mid forward signature which I liked a lot. I left them playing one track on repeat on normal listening volume and came back at around 150 hours they suddenly lost that sub bass slam :frowning2:

I am at 180 hours now and still hear a bit of sub bass, some mid bass, but that sub bass slam is not returning. Did you notice them losing the sub bass during burn in and then gaining it back closer to 300 hours? It feels like my 11mm drivers are not working anymore.

May 10, 2022 at 6:35 PM Post #6,357 of 18,013
I have received Dark Matter 8 days ago and started burn in, at around 30 hours I was hearing a thunderous sub bass slam from DM comparing to my Ozar, and more of a mid forward signature which I liked a lot. I left them playing one track on repeat on normal listening volume and came back at around 150 hours they suddenly lost that sub bass slam :frowning2:

I am at 180 hours now and still hear a bit of sub bass, some mid bass, but that sub bass slam is not returning. Did you notice them losing the sub bass during burn in and then gaining it back closer to 300 hours? It feels like my 11mm drivers are not working anymore.

Im over 300 hours now so spent a bit of time with them tonight. Had had a rough time trying to find a balanced sound
Bass impact on ears was unpleasant using most of my normal go to IMR filters. Bass overwhelming everything so that the vocals were lost in the background. Tried to compensate / bring out vocals with upper filters but then was a bit harsh
On a whim I tried Grey filters which 'should be' even bassier than red but weirdly not so - a lot more balanced and controlled o_0
nQuite listenable now but still a bit too 'wild' ad uncontrolled / unbalanced - Its like some areas are trying too hard or different aspects of the DM are not really communicating with each other or are in harmony yet
Previously low end was too much and fogging over the vocals and now the bass is sweet but the vocals are too shouty
It does say 300 To 500 hours burn in until fully optimised . . . I suspected as much having had experience with the ultra stiff CNT/ADLC drivers so will definitely be going over the 500 hour burn in on these
I've had similar experiences previously where AT 300 hours the IEM's sounded pretty horrible but after 325 hours something changed and they sounded lovely!

The magic and mystery of IMR iem Burn in !

May 10, 2022 at 7:20 PM Post #6,358 of 18,013
Im over 300 hours now so spent a bit of time with them tonight. Had had a rough time trying to find a balanced sound
Bass impact on ears was unpleasant using most of my normal go to IMR filters. Bass overwhelming everything so that the vocals were lost in the background. Tried to compensate / bring out vocals with upper filters but then was a bit harsh
On a whim I tried Grey filters which 'should be' even bassier than red but weirdly not so - a lot more balanced and controlled o_0
nQuite listenable now but still a bit too 'wild' ad uncontrolled / unbalanced - Its like some areas are trying too hard or different aspects of the DM are not really communicating with each other or are in harmony yet
Previously low end was too much and fogging over the vocals and now the bass is sweet but the vocals are too shouty
It does say 300 To 500 hours burn in until fully optimised . . . I suspected as much having had experience with the ultra stiff CNT/ADLC drivers so will definitely be going over the 500 hour burn in on these
I've had similar experiences previously where AT 300 hours the IEM's sounded pretty horrible but after 325 hours something changed and they sounded lovely!

The magic and mystery of IMR iem Burn in !
Thanks! I was actually enjoying that bass a lot :) I know grey stem really well, but if you put the red one back does it slam like in the beginning of the burn in?

May 10, 2022 at 7:55 PM Post #6,359 of 18,013
Thanks! I was actually enjoying that bass a lot :) I know grey stem really well, but if you put the red one back does it slam like in the beginning of the burn in?
I started with Red but it was quite well balanced with all the other freq's and was noticeable for sure but not TOO overbearing Tonight it was too much and kind of blanketed it self over the mids so the vocals were over whelmed
It was a Not pleasant experience!
Its still potentially just over half way though its full burn in though so a while yet to see how they fully develop
They also had quite a profound 3d imaging OOTB which is no longer there really :D

May 11, 2022 at 1:52 AM Post #6,360 of 18,013
@Shadowelite, you’re right theoretically. I think I did feedback to Bob before.

Those stock cables I had:
2.5Mm I measured the left and right channels were reversed.
4.4mm as you mentioned signal + and ground - were also reversed on channel.
Even though at times it doesn’t matter due to sinusoidal nature but good to solder those pin out to spec.

For those DM owners, could you give a try by reversing the pin out (4.4 balance) only on the right channel, compare the SQ and prove me wrong in my following evaluation.

To my ears, and using my own cable ( audio note silver litz with ibasso 2MAX balance out):
On normal balance pin out condition,
1- DM is not that scalable.
2- Sound presentation kind of in compression state even thought it doesn’t loose its main characteristic details and layering.
3- Bass is like being pushed slightly north (towards the mid section).

With right channel pin out on reverse,
1- DM is very scalable and everything SQ wise expand in tandem to volume even though it’s very easy to drive.
2- Heavy sinking bass.
3- Soundstage almost equivalent to Semper.

As this hobby is personnel and very subjective, so whatsoever I wrote do take it with a grain of salt.
This is similar to what i observe with Semper. On SOR/SOG, there is not much different. So it also IEM dependent. Some IEM is more sensitive than other on the polarity. I was so annoyed by the sound to the point of putting Semper up for sales. Fortunately i discover the polarity issue and since than Semper become my to go iem again. Unfortunately I sold my OG EDP before i realize the polarity issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back