Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
May 6, 2022 at 11:41 AM Post #6,304 of 18,013
May 6, 2022 at 12:24 PM Post #6,305 of 18,013
May 6, 2022 at 2:37 PM Post #6,306 of 18,013
Picked up the Dark Matter today from the post office, been sitting there for a couple of days.

Couple of niggles early on, first what tips are people using for the DM? The slightly different shape of the earphone amd my usual tip is not working for me

Secondly the cable is weird...the left hand side is fine, sits behind the ear ok but the right hand side seems to stick out an angle and doesn't wrap behind ear very well
For those that have cut away the plastic wrap...does it help?

May 6, 2022 at 4:17 PM Post #6,308 of 18,013
Going all the way back to the original R1 my go-to tips for IMRs have been Symbio W, but lately I've been using Periodic Audio Hydrogen and I've been very happy with them.

May 6, 2022 at 4:31 PM Post #6,309 of 18,013
I'm thinking the Dark Matter are my favourite IMR to date. Bob absolutely nailed these. At around 150 hours and have got past the difficult phase of burn in and it should just get better & better from here.

In music heaven with this setup. If you have a good source and high res music files I def recommend trying these micron industrial micro sd cards. Just adds the final 1%.

Also still had the money refunded from the Stingray so ordered the Elan+ & Seraph+. As using head fi maths with the DM they all came to about the same price. I like looking forward to Bob's creations.

Same here. Loving the DM played through a LP P6 Pro dap. But for me, Semper is still my all time favorite of my IMR collection. Mainly because of the huge sound stage and plays really nice with rock genre which I listen to mostly. Perhaps when the experimental tuning system comes, DM may reign supreme for me.

Is that a PW 1950 cable? Is there any discernable differences from the stock cable sound wise?

May 6, 2022 at 6:13 PM Post #6,310 of 18,013
Picked up the Dark Matter today from the post office, been sitting there for a couple of days.

Couple of niggles early on, first what tips are people using for the DM? The slightly different shape of the earphone amd my usual tip is not working for me

Secondly the cable is weird...the left hand side is fine, sits behind the ear ok but the right hand side seems to stick out an angle and doesn't wrap behind ear very well

I always use NewBee foams - Keeps the iems in nicely and they don't change the sound.
cutting away the plastic sheaf helps a lot with the fit for me

Talking about the new cable - Im only 200 hours in with the Dark matter but I swooped over to the older cable and was surprised at how it messed up the sound or to put it another way I was surprised and impressed at how cohesive the sound was with the new cable - all the frequencies were very well balanced with each other and sounded much more mature and of a clearly higher calibre
The older cable made the highs quite spiky and bright . . . interesting

The DM's are looking to be quite special - They sound superb with 'regular music' BUT when you give them something that is exceptionally mixed/mastered they REALLY come alive - Its like they reluctantly play what you give them but they only fully and joyfully engage and give you something otherworldly great when you give them exceptional music

They are a superb companion to the semper :D

Last edited:
May 7, 2022 at 4:19 AM Post #6,311 of 18,013
@jon parker
The Newbee foams...there are a couple of different options on amazon, which ones do you use in particular?

May 7, 2022 at 6:53 AM Post #6,312 of 18,013

For tips I'm using Elastecs but a size up where I usually use a size down.

With the Elysium I didn't think Elastecs were the best match & ended up on azla earfit light shorts. Their shorter length mwnat they sat in the war flush so could try those. I haven't tried them yet on the DM

I just put one of my cables on IMRs and have a mass of unused IMR cables. Nothing against them really I just think my cables are better. The best 2 I've found for the DM for me are PWA 1950s & Penon OSG. PWA is more technical & detailed and slightly less fun & the OSG is less technical & detailed & slightly more fun. I prefer the PWA as the DM is fun enough already.

The OSG is a great cable for IMRs tho especially the Semper as thin & light & easy to turn the ends for IMRs as no memory wire. The graphene really suits IMRs too.

The DM's are looking to be quite special - They sound superb with 'regular music' BUT when you give them something that is exceptionally mixed/mastered they REALLY come alive - Its like they reluctantly play what you give them but they only fully and joyfully engage and give you something otherworldly great when you give them exceptional music

They are a superb companion to the semper :D
I was thinking this last night. They make anything sound amazing but feed them something really good & they are godly.

The last few IMRs I've bought have really let me hear which bands say are truly special.

For me the DM & Semper will be my rotation going forward.

Last edited:
May 7, 2022 at 7:04 AM Post #6,313 of 18,013
Same here. Loving the DM played through a LP P6 Pro dap. But for me, Semper is still my all time favorite of my IMR collection. Mainly because of the huge sound stage and plays really nice with rock genre which I listen to mostly. Perhaps when the experimental tuning system comes, DM may reign supreme for me.

Is that a PW 1950 cable? Is there any discernable differences from the stock cable sound wise?

Yes that is a 1950s. I got it from Musicteck at a good price in one of their sales. It's a stunning cable adds detail and texture that I didn't know existed.
I used to chase microdetails as I thought that was where the unheard things that a good quality setup reveals were. But I realise now with this cable it is the detail and texture in the bits you've always heard I want.

May 7, 2022 at 7:19 AM Post #6,314 of 18,013
May 7, 2022 at 7:23 AM Post #6,315 of 18,013

Users who are viewing this thread

Back