Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jul 4, 2021 at 7:58 PM Post #3,226 of 18,011
So far I’m loving the combo of course I’m running them balanced and have not tried them SE or on any other devices yet. Compared the BC the Knights are tiny but outside of bass proportions they are closer than one might think especially just looking at them. After owning 2 ES100’s (gifted to friends now) and a FiiO BTR3K the QK5 at least to my ears sounds the best.
Damn it the Knights are freshly sold out… with the R1 on that BT cable, the R2 in my wife’s ears, and the Semper very much for home listening due to the fiddly fit, I am all out of IMR for a bunch of use cases. GOTTA BUY SOMETHING

Jul 4, 2021 at 8:53 PM Post #3,228 of 18,011
Damn it the Knights are freshly sold out… with the R1 on that BT cable, the R2 in my wife’s ears, and the Semper very much for home listening due to the fiddly fit, I am all out of IMR for a bunch of use cases. GOTTA BUY SOMETHING
If your not opposed to a single DD this right here is my favorite single of all time and one I'll never let go of as a matter a fact I'm about to buy a backup just in case! My apologies Bob:cold_sweat:

https://www.adv-sound.com/collections/pro-audio-iem/products/m5-1d

No Fakes!.JPG

Jul 5, 2021 at 1:05 AM Post #3,230 of 18,011
I always accept a challenge when i hear the fatal words, "i do not like trance" lol. I am learning from you and steering you in directions testing your limits, sorry for the youtube quality though.
Well, at least now you've managed to make me appreciate trance a little more. but it is above all thanks to the astra which sublimates the music and above all the voices. but it will not become my mainly genre. but thanks for the discovery.👍🙏

Jul 5, 2021 at 1:08 AM Post #3,231 of 18,011
Yes, yes, but are they any good?

What about when you get "I do not like electronic music". Now that is a challenge.

Anyone else find the sound quality in YouTube app much worse than playing the links in the browser?
Yes, yes, but are they any good?
I can't decide for you, because it's suggestive. I just gave you some info. but I, who am a basshead, appreciate them a lot.

Jul 5, 2021 at 9:18 AM Post #3,232 of 18,011
Mate, the astra is the EDM one. I am a big basshead too. But astra is a basshead audiophile. It's different than pure bass that overmelth the rest, but I learn to appreciate that tuning. for a few days now they have become more consistent. the instruments, the voices are in perfect balance. the voices are not particularly emphasized. they are more ventilated and have a little more echo than elysium. like an incredible dream. the image is magical, like a journey through the galaxy listening to the stars twinkle. it is more airy and the separation has a good balance between a black background and the explosion of sound. Everything is in its place. I can hear easily the details. the bass is not to be outdone. it seems less heavy than the elysium, but still impact and a balance between weight and perfect clarity. Really good basses and sub basses. currently, I only listen to them. they transport me to a magical universe and give me a lot of emotions. if I had to keep only 1, it would be this one.

I am on blue/red.
OK guys youv all convinced ,I just ordered a Astra😁 but due to a couple of reasons i won't be getting it until the end of August, so iv got nearly 2 months to pull my hair out waiting for them😬
No really I'm really exited about it and i am REALLY REALLY hoping this will be my end-game? BUT? Has any checked the IMR Website? If you go to the Menu you will see a new line called "Pro" this is what i mentioned earlier but didn't want to name them! Unfortunately when you go to the page it is just a Teaser with some Matrix thrown in lol

Jul 5, 2021 at 9:26 AM Post #3,233 of 18,011
This is slightly off topic, but thought to mention that it may be worthwhile looking at the new Campfire Honeydew 🍈 as a bass-head solution, quite « affordable » too.

I am saying this as I am waiting for my IMR Knight to arrive, hoping they would measure up…
Hi, this sounds interesting have you actually heard them? I did come across these and there's another new set around the same price. Due to them being so new its hard to gain any inpression's what they sound like! If you have heard them could you give a short impression of the sound?

Jul 5, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #3,234 of 18,011
Hi, this sounds interesting have you actually heard them? I did come across these and there's another new set around the same price. Due to them being so new its hard to gain any inpression's what they sound like! If you have heard them could you give a short impression of the sound?
Unfortunately haven’t heard them myself, but they got me so curious that I am considering ordering a pair. Based on reviews, the Honeydew are really light and comfortable and have a really-really good sub-bass slam. Midrange on them is said to be a bit darker, but still decent. Overall a tempting offering from Campfire, at an (unusually/relatively) lower price point.

I could let you know my thoughts if I end up pulling the trigger. That being said — I am also waiting for the IMR Knight to arrive, and they may win me over (I hope?). 😈

Jul 5, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #3,235 of 18,011
Unfortunately haven’t heard them myself, but they got me so curious that I am considering ordering a pair. Based on reviews, the Honeydew are really light and comfortable and have a really-really good sub-bass slam. Midrange on them is said to be a bit darker, but still decent. Overall a tempting offering from Campfire, at an (unusually/relatively) lower price point.

I could let you know my thoughts if I end up pulling the trigger. That being said — I am also waiting for the IMR Knight to arrive, and they may win me over (I hope?). 😈
Yes that would be great if you could come back with some impressions? After i read your post i was even more intrigued about the Honeydrew(not satsuma cos just 1 Balanced Armature v 10mm LCP Dynamic in honeydew) so i don't a bit of digging and i think you are right about it being a Basshead iem but being Campfire the rest of the spectrum should be decent?
I tell what does exite me more and is really tugging on my wallet the fact they are using an LCD Diaphragm Dynamic Driver, Sony used one of these Liquid Dyaphram Drivers in the the. Sony XBA-N3 which is one if my all time favorite IEM at any price point? I don't know if it was Sony's tuning or the LCD Driver but, it was able to dig SOO deep it made 'most' other IEM'S sound weak! Unfortunately i lost mine on the Tube and the price's have gone really high and they only seem to be available in Japan which incures Tax's & Import Duties😌 The only thing that will stop my picking the Honeydrew up is the Rose QT-9 MK2? Read LOTS of reviews & posts and this seems to be an Audiophile Basshead but with TOTL Technacalities for just shy of £200! I'm also looking at TheiAudio Excalibur and the new ISN EST50 which both are Tribirds but do cost nearly twice that of the Rose QT-9 MK2! Decisions decisions 😋

Jul 5, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #3,236 of 18,011
If you want a good and brutal iem as a basshead, check out this new ISN EST50

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/isn...sn-est50-successor-to-the-h40.920551/page-165
So following your advice i done a lot of digging and read many reviews that all back you up in regards to the ISN EST50 being a total Basshead IEM! What surprised me was how much all the other Frequencies sound just as good! I just Absaloutly LOVE the Sound of the Sonion Electrostat Driver's and would love to have it when I'm on the move without them constantly falling out like my Opus Mia lol
I'm really really tempted with this and the Rose QT-9 MK2 that is also Basshead territory with amazing Detail,Vocals,Clarity and pretty much every other Technacalities and they are very small housing that is said to be a fantastic fit all for just shy of £200 which is nearly half the price of the EST50 & Excalibur!

Jul 5, 2021 at 11:57 AM Post #3,237 of 18,011
@Tiaa

This last one in particular is just relentless and savage, you say you like and want some fast hard hitting bass, there you go my new trance fan.

I don't know how to link a video or song to a post so I'm just gonna give you the name of the track and you can look it up? If you want Fantastic Bass this is the song "2 Bad Mice by 2 Bad Mice" ! This was played every Friday at Club Labrynth from 1990 to 1998 and it would shake walls,ceiling,floor and your whole body! If i remember wright it was on the XL-Records Label the same lable The Prodigy are signed too.
The Bass is just relentless & totally addictive! The only problem is it was recorded in the early 90's when producers
were pretty much experimenting so sound quality is not the best so you need to find it with the highest lossless as possible in order to really do the Track & Bass in particularly justice!

Jul 5, 2021 at 12:49 PM Post #3,238 of 18,011
I don't know how to link a video or song to a post so I'm just gonna give you the name of the track and you can look it up? If you want Fantastic Bass this is the song "2 Bad Mice by 2 Bad Mice" ! This was played every Friday at Club Labrynth from 1990 to 1998 and it would shake walls,ceiling,floor and your whole body! If i remember wright it was on the XL-Records Label the same lable The Prodigy are signed too.
The Bass is just relentless & totally addictive! The only problem is it was recorded in the early 90's when producers
were pretty much experimenting so sound quality is not the best so you need to find it with the highest lossless as possible in order to really do the Track & Bass in particularly justice!

I could only find 16/44.1 on Apple music which was ok for the bass but not so much the rest of the spectrum.
Ah so much good came from this era and it is the 90's rave scene where my love for electronic music was born. So many influences in that track and i can't recall which track, but the vocal was sampled in another track years later. *Edit* Same year almost, Felix - Dont You Want My Love.

We had D&B, Jungle, Reggae, House experimentation happening in the rave scene which spawned the plethora of sub genres we have now. I ended in the House route and all it's sub genres.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #3,239 of 18,011
So I see the Astra has moved from 5 to 4….

so is she going to enjoy the new Astra and you can have your R2 back?
Ha! That wasn’t me guv, I swear!

Truthfully I couldn’t justify the expense of the latest round’s big boys so shortly after the Semper, which haven’t even had what I’d call proper ear time yet. I know they’re amazing but, as the consensus seems to form, they’re side-grades rather than wholesale upgrades. A bit like graphics cards where the previous generation’s flagship remains competitive with whatever the next gen brings.

You should have seen the look my wife threw me when she tried out the Aten some months ago. Like she was going to kill me :gun: I’ve been trying to find a way to give them to her ever since. That’s how love works right? :grin: It was tricky because she does aerial straps, so she spins like crazy (there’s a figure called the tornado!) and she’s also upside down half the time. I got her the Kef Mu3 true-wireless, honestly expected to be blown away by those but there’s a huge gap vs the Aten with a BT cable. Since there’s always a risk the whole thing gets blown out of her ears by centrifugal force, the Astra is a bit too expensive a proposition :dizzy:

Jul 5, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #3,240 of 18,011
Ha! That wasn’t me guv, I swear!

Truthfully I couldn’t justify the expense of the latest round’s big boys so shortly after the Semper, which haven’t even had what I’d call proper ear time yet. I know they’re amazing but, as the consensus seems to form, they’re side-grades rather than wholesale upgrades. A bit like graphics cards where the previous generation’s flagship remains competitive with whatever the next gen brings.

You should have seen the look my wife threw me when she tried out the Aten some months ago. Like she was going to kill me :gun: I’ve been trying to find a way to give them to her ever since. That’s how love works right? :grin: It was tricky because she does aerial straps, so she spins like crazy (there’s a figure called the tornado!) and she’s also upside down half the time. I got her the Kef Mu3 true-wireless, honestly expected to be blown away by those but there’s a huge gap vs the Aten with a BT cable. Since there’s always a risk the whole thing gets blown out of her ears by centrifugal force, the Astra is a bit too expensive a proposition :dizzy:

She will love the Ozar or Elan then i cautiously suggest. Guaranteed to fit just as well and an upgrade to the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back