impulse buy?
Oct 1, 2007 at 1:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Seaside

500+ Head-Fier
I usually do not things on impulse.
I took my time and check few things before buy things.
So, I feel comfortable about what I bought in most cases.

But, about the audio parts... especially caps and tubes, things are bit differ.

I just won few 12AU7 tubes at ebay.
I saw them, I bid at the last minute, and I won. Yay!!!
Then, I realised few things. I realized that I haven't read the description. There's no menthion of the brand, test result or guarantee. All it said was, that they tested good. I was like... uhhh... What was that I just won? Didn't I already have those tubes in my parts box? I should start to sell them rather than buying them. LOL.
Whole thing happened in few minutes by impulse. It is like someone else than me did that. I hope what I am getting is the same as the pic the seller posted on ebay.

Anyways, I think even the most reasonable person sometimes could do impulse buy. What did you bought on impulse lately?

Oct 1, 2007 at 1:59 AM Post #2 of 25
Yesterday I went and bought Microsoft Office 2007 Ultimate on impulse. I'd just spent two hours wrestling with Gnumeric, and I got so fed up with it when it wouldn't do what I wanted (how hard is it to output a histogram to a chart?) that I decided to take advantage of the student deal and get something that would work for me. No research, no trying out the trial version... and I completely ignored the fact that there's a legit copy of Office 2003 kicking around the house.
tongue.gif

But so far it hasn't burned me like most of my impulse purchases do! I kinda like it.

Oct 1, 2007 at 2:12 AM Post #4 of 25
5.5G iPod...then an iMod upgrade...then a V-dock...damn this place.

Oct 1, 2007 at 2:13 AM Post #5 of 25
A donut. Seriously. Hadn't had one in weeks.

Oct 1, 2007 at 2:27 AM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trippytiger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yesterday I went and bought Microsoft Office 2007 Ultimate on impulse. I'd just spent two hours wrestling with Gnumeric, and I got so fed up with it when it wouldn't do what I wanted (how hard is it to output a histogram to a chart?) that I decided to take advantage of the student deal and get something that would work for me. No research, no trying out the trial version... and I completely ignored the fact that there's a legit copy of Office 2003 kicking around the house.
tongue.gif

But so far it hasn't burned me like most of my impulse purchases do! I kinda like it.

are you doing stats homework by any chance?

Oct 1, 2007 at 2:31 AM Post #7 of 25
One day I went to the door and was greeted by the UPS man. In the box was an Israeli gas mask. What?

Since then I have a rule. No Ebay or online purchases of any kind after 10:00pm. Seems I get stupid 'round this time.
smily_headphones1.gif

GAD

Oct 1, 2007 at 2:31 AM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by pne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are you doing stats homework by any chance?

You betcha. That 235 lab assignment was a pain.

Oct 1, 2007 at 3:08 AM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by pne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm installing an old copy of office 2000 right now actually hehe. I had been using open office all this time and never figured I would actually need microsoft office for homework.
rolleyes.gif

Yeah, I was pretty disappointed to realize that OpenOffice didn't so statistical functions too! Seems like a pretty big omission, honestly. I'd hoped that Gnumeric would do the job, but apparently it can't. It sucks to have to use Microsoft software, but at least Office 2007 Ultimate is a nice improvement over Office 2003 and OpenOffice.

Oct 1, 2007 at 3:21 AM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm going to impulse buy this any day now.

226X5-left.jpg

Mitch

nice. but I'm not really digging the fake wood grips...

I tend to be exactly the opposite, I research things obsessively before I buy them...especially audio stuff. Well, anything over $10, really. I won't buy anything unless I've read multiple internet reviews, and preferably talked to someone who owns one. I did sort of impulse buy an ATI TV Wonder 650 recently though, and I still can't figure out how to make it receive HDTV broadcasts. Makes me wish I'd put the $120 into a better DAC for my new computer...

Oct 1, 2007 at 4:24 AM Post #13 of 25
thank goodness most of my impulse buys are usually pretty desirable on the secondary market, so i don't end up losing enough to hurt. plus i feel like i'm putting them in the hands (and ears) of folks who really enjoy them, so it's kind of like selfish altruism!

Oct 1, 2007 at 2:04 PM Post #14 of 25
“but I'm not really digging the fake wood grips...”

? Good try but maybe you’ve never seen real wood grips? Sig Sauer doesn’t sell anything with “fake” wood grips. I believe they are walnut.

That’s Sig Sauers current statement product the P226 X-5 L1. Think Orpheus of the handgun world.

It shoots 2-inch groups at 50 yards.

Mitch

Oct 1, 2007 at 2:36 PM Post #15 of 25
A sausage.
Cause the train back from work was delayed, and I had 10 minutes to spend. So I dropped in for some fast food...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back