Impulse buy - Entech 205.2
Mar 7, 2007 at 1:38 AM Post #47 of 66
Hi everyone. I'm new, but saw this thread searching the web for reviews on the 205.2

My two cents-

Just got an 205.2 from Ebay today. No instructions, a little dirty but it powered right up and worked instantly. A bit bright, but I am using Sony MDR-V600 with with my Little Dot II++ till my AKG-701's come in. The Entech definitely outputs hotter than my Chaintech sound card, but no clipping.

JB

Mar 9, 2007 at 5:23 AM Post #50 of 66
My 205.2 arrived yesterday from the same eBay seller. The unit is scratched up a little on the bottom but the faceplate and the top of it are pretty clean. Functions perfectly. A great value, for sure!

Mar 9, 2007 at 2:00 PM Post #51 of 66
How many of these things does the seller have, i thought they were hard to come by these days. He just relisted (original auction ended) and now apparenlty has 25 more. LINK

Mar 14, 2007 at 1:12 PM Post #53 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Advil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So far this DAC is absolutely stunning. Great build and great sound. The only thing I dislike is the ridiculously loud line-out.

Attenuators can help a bit they did with my Graham Slee Amp which also was absurdly hot

Mar 14, 2007 at 4:20 PM Post #55 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Entech outputs 2.2V which is a little hotter than the average line out

The line-out from the Entechs are actually 2.5 vrms. Clipping was never an issue with my LDII+ fed by the Entech albeit it makes it a little harder to use the pot at 10~2 o'clock (where it tracks most linearly). I am really very happy with the DAC.
icon10.gif

Mar 14, 2007 at 4:28 PM Post #56 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The line-out from the Entechs are actually 2.5 vrms. Clipping was never an issue with my LDII+ fed by the Entech albeit it makes it a little harder to use the pot at 10~2 o'clock (where it tracks most linearly). I am really very happy with the DAC.
icon10.gif

Yes, I got it wrong, it was my NAD that had the 2.2V output - mea culpa.

This 2.5V isnt an issue with my M^3 even on high gain but it would have made life impossible with the Graham Slee Amp which I had to attenuate by 10db anyway otherwise it ran at 7 o'clock
eek.gif

Mar 20, 2007 at 5:44 AM Post #59 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by werdwerdus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
haha I got mine for $30. I win
biggrin.gif

In that thread there are also some nice pictures of the inside and some discussion about modding it (kramer5150 and some other people were talking about that)

Thought I'd bump this thread with a happy note
biggrin.gif

All is well in Entech-land. My 205.2 is back from repair and at the USPS. I'll pick it up tomorrow with a socketed OPA2107 in place of the 2134
biggrin.gif
. The stock 205.2 is a noticeable step up from my panasonic DVD player lineout by itself. I'm curious how much further the entech will scale up with the 2107.

Its not as straightforward as adding a socket and OP amp rolling. Its a sensitive circuit, (to put it in lamens terms) that runs on the brink of instability. I encountered some oscillation problems with using the 2107, that were beyond my meager troubleshooting skills. So, off it went
cool.gif

I'll post PCB pics tomorrow night, and muchos-thanks to the super-helpful member who fixed it for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back