Impulse buy - Entech 205.2
Mar 3, 2007 at 8:02 AM Post #32 of 66
haha I got mine for $30. I win
biggrin.gif

In that thread there are also some nice pictures of the inside and some discussion about modding it (kramer5150 and some other people were talking about that)

Mar 3, 2007 at 5:24 PM Post #33 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by santiu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LUCKY YOU!!!! I got mine today. It's NOT in working condition. Lots of pops and crackle's and clipping noises (especially on bass hits). Tried different sources and interconnects (both coax and optical). Looks like this puppy is going back!!

That sucks!
mad.gif
Per the Ebay listing, the units were supposedly tested..."Tested includes power adapter". I guess it could have been damaged during shipping (giving the seller the benefit of the doubt). In any case, no joy for you!

Mar 3, 2007 at 6:24 PM Post #34 of 66
I wonder if the eBay sellers of these used Entech DACs understand or realize who is buying the units. There have been at least three sellers of multiple units in the last 6 months and more than one of them has shipped a bad unit. I got one DOA and the seller made a lot of promises but never followed through with any action. I decided to make repairs rather than ship the unit back at my own expense and file a claim. The unit I received had the wrong power supply type and incompatible plug so there's no way they were tested together.

Mar 3, 2007 at 6:39 PM Post #35 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by joe_cool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder if the eBay sellers of these used Entech DACs understand or realize who is buying the units. There have been at least three sellers of multiple units in the last 6 months and more than one of them has shipped a bad unit. I got one DOA and the seller made a lot of promises but never followed through with any action. I decided to make repairs rather than ship the unit back at my own expense and file a claim. The unit I received had the wrong power supply type and incompatible plug so there's no way they were tested together.

I'm guessing he has a standard wall wart plugged in and just 'tests' each unit for a few seconds before packing it up for shipping

Mar 3, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #38 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Advil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, i'm going to ask again..

Has ANYONE heard from the seller yet? He does not reply to my messages.

No, but I did get a shipping number within 24 hours of payment from him. I will post back with how broken (hopefully not) my 205.2 is when it arrives.

Mar 3, 2007 at 9:33 PM Post #39 of 66
okay, did more testing. This time with a different AMP. I think the Entech is fine. I recall reading that these have a bit of a hot output? Is that correct?

I think the output is just too hot for my little C&C box headphone amp and the input is clipping. When plugged into my home theater receiver, sounds fine.

Damn!! Now what do i do? Keep the entech or keep the headphone amp? Is there anyway i can attenuate the output of the entech without degrading the sound quality?
confused.gif

Mar 3, 2007 at 10:48 PM Post #42 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by santiu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
okay, did more testing. This time with a different AMP. I think the Entech is fine. I recall reading that these have a bit of a hot output? Is that correct?

I think the output is just too hot for my little C&C box headphone amp and the input is clipping. When plugged into my home theater receiver, sounds fine.

Damn!! Now what do i do? Keep the entech or keep the headphone amp? Is there anyway i can attenuate the output of the entech without degrading the sound quality?
confused.gif

The Entech outputs 2.5V which is hotter than the average line out but that has never given me any issues with the M^3 and high impedance headphones. You can buy RCA attenuator plugs that will give you a 6 - 15db drop. I have a pair of 10db RCA attenuators I do not need(*)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GOLDENJACKS-LI...QQcmdZViewItem

, bung me a PM and I will send them to you, if they sont do the trick just send them back.

* - For the Graham Slee Solo

EDIT for factual inaccuracy

Mar 4, 2007 at 5:06 AM Post #43 of 66
Mar 4, 2007 at 6:12 PM Post #44 of 66
What company does he use to ship the items?

ie, fedex, ups, usps?

I am asking this because companies other than usps will charge ridiculous brokerage fees when shipping to Canada.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back