Improvisation versus Competition
Jul 8, 2006 at 4:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

scrypt

Head-Fi's Sybil
People have sometimes asked why I spend so much time on Head-fi. They wonder why I don't choose to frequent sites and lists which are exclusively literary and/or academic. The answer to that lies partly in the compassionate but vigilantly polite atmosphere created by Jude and the moderators; but a good deal of it consists of the focus of the site: music and music equipment appreciation. These dual interests, which are both supportive of others' achievements, tend to bring out members' good natures, humility and mutual respect.

Writers' forums, by contrast, are often centered on the work of individual members. Often, this leads to ill-natured exchanges, verbal tough-offs and chest-thumping monologues that read like hip-hop for stiff old men, except when some equally mannered individual interrupts to valorize "the Street" and wax evangelical on the primacy of colloquial narrative (for vast helpings of why affected colloquial narrative can be at least as self-indulgent as intentionally cryptic high modernism, attend a poetry slam).

Because writing is a solitary art, it affords little chance for direct support. This is why, historically, writers have relied so often on friends, relatives and spouses to be their immediate audience. However, public exchanges between writers often dissolve into turf wars: the smaller the turf, the more vigorous the tussle. (This is perhaps why poets and experimental novelists have engaged in some of the nastiest in-fighting I've ever seen.)

To the spectator, it all looks like an exceptionally bitter game of playing the dozens. This is why such sites are frequented by (i) novices on lower levels, who, after hearing one another recite platitudes from manuals, soon outgrow such settings and (ii) bitter academics vying for meagre scraps of recognition.

Truthfully, I find intellectual competitiveness tiresome and depressing. Too often, it is compulsively ill-natured. I'd much rather focus on honing a powerful idea collectively, or exchanging odd images or turns of phrase for the fun of it, than trading intended slights with the latest ho-hum hombre.

The beauty of Head-fi is that, while its skirmishes are many, its focus is on selfless appreciation. No point in thrusting one's achievements in people's faces when we're all taking turns listening to Bartok's Concerto for Orchestra on a G08 through a Raptor or Maestro ZR. The true achievement lies in appreciating the sound.

Head-fi's focus would seem to be on collective improvisation rather than humorless battles for dominance. That is why many of us reside here, I think -- because an atmosphere of reasonable acceptance engenders friendship, whereas turf wars lead to self-congratulatory isolation.

Those who happened to catch Bill Moyer's interview with Jeanette Winterson will have listened to the sort of speculative conversation I look for on these boards. There, as here, the focus is on ideas and expression, not hypercriticism to the point of mutually enforced silence. The aim is to bring out people's ordinary genius, not to drown out all voices but one's own.

Jul 8, 2006 at 4:29 PM Post #2 of 25
Yes and this is why I stay away from literary critic forums. Why should I waste my precious time, when I am not completely free to focus on my writing, attacking and defending my writing and the ideas or themes therein when I can spend my time listening to music as a primary form of inspiration and enrichment to fuel my writing sessions in an atmosphere of solitude and focused determination? That is why. These boards have a huge open door policy to anyone and profess to be unbiased arenas (I choose that word carefully now) for feedback for my writing. They are not. Perhaps the care should be taken in selecting audience members as carefully as the White House chooses audience members during photo ops for the President of the United States of America. This still makes sense, but it is impossible to do so when submitting raw work to a potential audience of hundreds all of which seem as equally bitter and divisive and cynical and just plain contempt of new writers.

You think that audiophiles want only audiophiles to be in this hobby? At least the audio press bemoans and tries to bring in fresh new blood.

It is not this way with academics, most especially poets and writers and playwrights. We write for one another. Period. I was told this on repeated and numerous occassions during undergradute writing courses. We don't actively recruit new blood. Why? Because nobody in America reads books anymore. We are a Nation that reads blogs, advertising print on websites, and discussion forums among more traditional media such as newspapers (most of which have an online component) or video feeds and streams online.

Barnes & Noble, my company, is experiencing a huge problem. Each year, revenues grow more meager and profit margins more flat. Yet, our own performance numbers require us to constantly project higher sales target numbers each year. My store has been down from last year and down from the project plan numbers by as much as 48% just in 2006 alone.

Sheesh. I thought audio was bad. I thought the music industry was crazy. Please. Were it not for the fact that human beings have a history of writing down their thoughts and feelings for others to share their experiences, this industry would be dead by now due to its callous and arrogant treatment of established, popular, and award winning poets and writers. Nevermind the newbs or shall I say literary boobs.

Jul 8, 2006 at 4:36 PM Post #3 of 25
After those two epic back to back posts, I feel a bit lean just saying this: "Welcome to Head-fi, sorry about your wallet!" is true here no matter if you're a newbie or if you've been in the headphone trenches for years. At the end of the day, we'd all lose long term interest here if it wasn't for the love of the hobby and the desire to share that with the like-minded community.

Jul 8, 2006 at 4:38 PM Post #4 of 25
Am I the only one that just feels smarter after reading something by scrypt?

Jul 8, 2006 at 4:43 PM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by usc goose
Am I the only one that just feels smarter after reading something by scrypt?

Actually I feel a bit less adequate in the brainpan, but at least I have the intelligence to recognize the breadth of the gap
biggrin.gif

Jul 8, 2006 at 5:44 PM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Welly Wu
Barnes & Noble, my company, is experiencing a huge problem. Each year, revenues grow more meager and profit margins more flat. Yet, our own performance numbers require us to constantly project higher sales target numbers each year. My store has been down from last year and down from the project plan numbers by as much as 48% just in 2006 alone.

Sheesh. I thought audio was bad. I thought the music industry was crazy. Please. Were it not for the fact that human beings have a history of writing down their thoughts and feelings for others to share their experiences, this industry would be dead by now due to its callous and arrogant treatment of established, popular, and award winning poets and writers. Nevermind the newbs or shall I say literary boobs.

Welly, you may be being a little pessimistic about the health of reading/writing. Barnes and Noble has posted consistent sales growth. Last year wasn't so hot, but they still managed a 6% increase in sales. That's good for a bad year!

It would be interesting to know whether people read more or less than they did 20 years ago. You're probably right that it's less, but there is a strong minority of people who still read and appreciate literature.

Jul 8, 2006 at 7:09 PM Post #7 of 25
Welly Wu (or is it Wooly Well?):

The worst literary exchange I've ever witnessed ended in death. Here's what happened:

A talented friend struggling with depression -- we'll call him Edward -- took his finished novel to another mutual friend, whom we'll call Rebecca. The latter, a novelist in her forties, happened to be a famous but extremely competitive woman who had once been interested in Edward romantically. Edward, a writer in his early twenties, was only interested in Rebecca's opinion of his work.

After finishing the first chapter, Rebecca smiled with apparent indulgence. In commiserating tones, she explained that Edward's novel was quite worthless; that perhaps the best thing to do would be for him to destroy it.

"Yes, you're right," Edward replied. "Everything I've ever done is worthless. Thank you for being honest."

Edward promptly went home, told his girlfriend of Rebecca's advice, burned all his manuscripts, and, on that exceptionally cold night, walked two miles east and threw himself off the Hawthorne Bridge. His body collided with ice.

Years have passed since Edward's suicide and not once has Rebecca taken any responsibility for her part in it, nor has she uttered a kind word about his writing. Though time has only brought her more success, she remains mute on the subject. Perhaps she finds it difficult to forgive Edward for making her aware of the depth of her own cruelty.

Having known the two of them well, and having seen evidence of Edward's talent, I've never felt Rebecca's response was honest in any way. I've always felt she intended to substantiate Edward's worst certainty out of spite: to echo the loop of failure that played in his skull.

None of this makes Rebecca a bad novelist; she remains an impeccable stylist. But it does reveal her to be a person who can never be trusted by anyone, least of all, by another writer.

This is why you are right to infer that one's private audience should be hand-picked and consist only of people in whom one trusts; who will not say -- however well-intentioned -- the hurtful or inhibiting thing that causes one to stray off-course. After all, one's words -- which can seem so surgical and exacting to others -- are forged in magic and linked in alchemy. They unscroll in relative darkness.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
After those two epic back to back posts, I feel a bit lean just saying this: "Welcome to Head-fi, sorry about your wallet!" is true here no matter if you're a newbie or if you've been in the headphone trenches for years. At the end of the day, we'd all lose long term interest here if it wasn't for the love of the hobby and the desire to share that with the like-minded community. . . . Actually I feel a bit less adequate in the brainpan, but at least I have the intelligence to recognize the breadth of the gap
biggrin.gif

That you would acknowledge and dismiss any feelings of "leanness" you might have -- whether you are expressing them candidly or merely being polite in alluding to the possibility of their existence -- shows exactly what I love about this community. You could have assumed the worst and accused me of snobbery or attempting to make you feel excluded. Instead, you chose to interpret my post in the spirit in which it was written. Your inclination toward benevolence distinguishes you as a friendly and supportive member, but it doesn't prevent you from making your own distinct contribution; instead, it aids the process. You manage to be inclusive -- to appreciate and incorporate what preceded -- but then continue with your own thoughts and improvisations. Thus, the fluidity and momentum of the dialogue is your point, not the positioning of random individuals (you or me) within it.

USC Goose: Thanks for the kind words.

Jul 8, 2006 at 7:47 PM Post #8 of 25
These are the most profound words that have ever been spoken around here:

By scrypt in the last post:

"After all, one's words -- which can seem so surgical and exact to others -- are forged in magic and linked in alchemy. They unscroll in relative darkness."

These words demonstrate the writing talent of the poster as well....

Jul 9, 2006 at 12:26 AM Post #9 of 25
LOL, I get a kick out of scrypt's posts.

...to be fair, there is a considerable amount of chest-thumping and ill-natured exchanges on head-fi...although it does represent an improvement over the average forum.

-Matt

Jul 9, 2006 at 12:31 AM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Welly Wu
Yes and this is why I stay away from literary critic forums. Why should I waste my precious time, when I am not completely free to focus on my writing, attacking and defending my writing and the ideas or themes therein when I can spend my time listening to music as a primary form of inspiration and enrichment to fuel my writing sessions in an atmosphere of solitude and focused determination? That is why. These boards have a huge open door policy to anyone and profess to be unbiased arenas (I choose that word carefully now) for feedback for my writing. They are not. Perhaps the care should be taken in selecting audience members as carefully as the White House chooses audience members during photo ops for the President of the United States of America. This still makes sense, but it is impossible to do so when submitting raw work to a potential audience of hundreds all of which seem as equally bitter and divisive and cynical and just plain contempt of new writers.

You think that audiophiles want only audiophiles to be in this hobby? At least the audio press bemoans and tries to bring in fresh new blood.

It is not this way with academics, most especially poets and writers and playwrights. We write for one another. Period. I was told this on repeated and numerous occassions during undergradute writing courses. We don't actively recruit new blood. Why? Because nobody in America reads books anymore. We are a Nation that reads blogs, advertising print on websites, and discussion forums among more traditional media such as newspapers (most of which have an online component) or video feeds and streams online.

Dude could you try to make sense instead of just imitating scrypt?

Jul 9, 2006 at 12:41 AM Post #11 of 25
Actually you may be right Welly... I just ran across this link of interesting statistics about the publishing industry:
http://parapublishing.com/sites/para...statistics.cfm

Includes such gems as:

One-third of high school graduates never read another book for the rest of their lives.

58% of the US adult population never reads another book after high school.

42% of college graduates never read another book.

80% of US families did not buy or read a book last year.

70% of US adults have not been in a bookstore in the last five years.

57% of new books are not read to completion.

Jul 9, 2006 at 12:50 AM Post #12 of 25
Those discussion boards sound like those creative writing classes at my uni. Basically people get up and tell their stories to theirs peers, and their peers proceed to tell them how much it sucks. That's basically it, chest-thumping and in-fighting and no one learns anything.

Would I rather watch Shakespear of Whose Line is it Anyway? I'd take Whose Line if it were still on...
wink.gif

Jul 9, 2006 at 5:24 AM Post #13 of 25
hungry(grinch):

Take a number and get in the back of the line.

I know my writing well enough to tell you that it is a precarious balance between my own words and the influence of other poets & writers.

Have you ever heard of Mary Oliver, the NBA & Pulitzer Prize winning American poet?

Read her chapter four in her book, A Poetry Handbook. It is titled "Imitation." The ISBN is 0-15-672400-6. I don't lay claim to other's written words, so you will have to just read for yourself.

When you feel like writing something useful to this thread (read: kind, compassionate, respectful), then maybe scrypt will have something nice to write about you too.

Jul 9, 2006 at 5:43 AM Post #14 of 25
Well said, scrypt, as usual. I found this forum at a dark time in my life, and I hate to sound cheesy--well, maybe I don't--but this hobby and these boards helped me through it. And then there was the National Meet. What an amazing event. I had not felt that sense of community in quite some time. The members here are a dynamic and generous bunch. I feel lucky to have found this place.

My wallet has a different opinion.

Jul 9, 2006 at 7:38 AM Post #15 of 25
Welly Wu:

You mentioned a hardship faced by your company, Barnes & Nobles. I suggest a bequeathment of one book per month to a lucky Headfier of your choice. This intern could spark a reading revolution and therefore swing the pendulum toward a more well-read society. Instead of reality T.V. shows, new spin-offs of Reading Rainbow could dominate the airwaves. All this leads to increased revenue for B&N. So, what do you say?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back