Improving the KSC-75
Apr 5, 2007 at 8:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Volta

100+ Head-Fier
So, I got my KSC-75s, and they rock. Far better than the K81s IMO.

Anyway, which of the following will improve these can's SQ?

1) Amp? I've heard that, surprisingly, the KSC-75s benefit greatly from one. PA2V2? Go-Vibe?

2) Kramer Mod? I'd love to do this but don't have access to a drill and can't seem to find any KSC12 p-ads anywhere...
mad.gif

3) Re-Cable? Would this be possible with these headphones? If so, what improvement could be had?

Thanks,
Josh

Apr 5, 2007 at 9:06 PM Post #2 of 13
First of all the easiest mod of all is the quarter-mod -- do it!
biggrin.gif
Anyway . . .

1. It scales up surprisingly well with a good amp. The two you mentioned would be just fine.

2. Mine is Kramer-modded and it sounds much cleaner, tighter, and more airy.

3. Mine isn't re-cabled but I'm sure your KSC75 would benefit from a nice, warm copper cable to complement its excellent mids and highs.
cool.gif

Apr 5, 2007 at 9:12 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

So, I got my KSC-75s, and they rock. Far better than the K81s IMO.

Honestly disagree - unless your musical bandwidth is 137% electric guitars.
Quote:

Kramer Mod?

Opens the upper mids & highs. Goodstuff.
Quote:

Re-Cable?

Improves at least the looks - and the wallet of chosen headfi sponsor.

Apr 5, 2007 at 9:13 PM Post #4 of 13
you dont need a drill to do kramer mod..just be patient and use screwdrivers...i did mine for the left side of the phone at around an hour..its worth it...im listening to it with the left side being kramer modded and right at stock..

Apr 5, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #5 of 13
Is using the KSC12 pads necessary for the Kramer-Mod to work properly?

Apr 5, 2007 at 9:38 PM Post #7 of 13
Where can I buy the KSC12 pads? (for a reasonable price!)

Apr 5, 2007 at 11:08 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Volta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2) Kramer Mod? I'd love to do this but don't have access to a drill and can't seem to find any KSC12 p-ads anywhere...
mad.gif

I just got them today form Koss's web site.

Apr 6, 2007 at 12:18 AM Post #10 of 13
Quarter modding is cutting a quarter sized hole in the foam earpads on the headphones. Basically puts less restriction between the drivers and your ears.

Apr 6, 2007 at 12:49 AM Post #11 of 13
Quarter or dime modding may alleviate their central problem for some - a somewhat swampy bass (at least compared to the control of the PX100). Koss sells replacement pads, but cutting circles in those pads is a challenge I'd love to find a solution for; even with a sharp blade, it's never a clean cut for me.

Apr 6, 2007 at 3:32 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by spinali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quarter or dime modding may alleviate their central problem for some - a somewhat swampy bass (at least compared to the control of the PX100). Koss sells replacement pads, but cutting circles in those pads is a challenge I'd love to find a solution for; even with a sharp blade, it's never a clean cut for me.

In Kramer's mod thread, he talked about taking a socket and hammer to cut the hole. Just a regular dull edge socket. Hit it with the hammer until it cuts the hole. Supposedly this cuts a very neat hole. Since I got the KSC12 pads today, I'm going to try tomorrow. I'll post the results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back