improving sound quality with sound card + an external DAC?
Apr 2, 2012 at 9:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

sarocket

New Head-Fier
Hi, I am new to this site, and am curious to learn more about how to get the best possible fidelity from my computer and sound equipment. I apologize if this question has been repeated several times, but I have not found such in the forums though. My question is, that currently I am using my onboard audio to my Luxman R-114 Receiver, and a pair of Boston Acoustics Bookshelf speakers from the 90's also. I listen to a lot of FLAC's and am picky about getting the best quality sound, so I ordered the Asus Xonar DG after reading several reviews about it and the fact that it fits my budget!!!!  The problem, however, is that my AV receiver doesn't have an optical input, so I was considering using an external DAC with a toslink cable running from my sound card. Would this substantially improve the sound quality vs. If I were to just use a 3.5mm to RCA connection? Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Apr 2, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #2 of 4
Well first I really don't know what your budget is, but it is possible to buy an external DAC that is usb driven straight from your computer. I have a very nice onboard sound card built into my motherboard, then I purchased the soundblaster X-Fi Titanium with the LiveDrive. All this went to the wayside once I purchased an external DAC. The reason for an external DAC is so your computer don't do the processing. So the sound card you purchased is the DAC. So you can have either the external or the soundcard processing for you. The DAC I purchase is the Peachtree iNova it also is a intergrated system as well. Hopes this helps.

Apr 3, 2012 at 2:31 AM Post #3 of 4

Quote:
Hi, I am new to this site, and am curious to learn more about how to get the best possible fidelity from my computer and sound equipment. I apologize if this question has been repeated several times, but I have not found such in the forums though. My question is, that currently I am using my onboard audio to my Luxman R-114 Receiver, and a pair of Boston Acoustics Bookshelf speakers from the 90's also. I listen to a lot of FLAC's and am picky about getting the best quality sound, so I ordered the Asus Xonar DG after reading several reviews about it and the fact that it fits my budget!!!!  The problem, however, is that my AV receiver doesn't have an optical input, so I was considering using an external DAC with a toslink cable running from my sound card. Would this substantially improve the sound quality vs. If I were to just use a 3.5mm to RCA connection? Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Use the 3.5mm to RCA to connect the Xonar DG speaker (green) output to the RCA inputs on your Luxman.
Or return the Xonar DG and get a used Xonar DX or D1, they have a better DAC.
Or return the Xonar DG and get a DAC Destroyer (DAC) off eBay.
Or spend $149 for a HRT Musicstreamer DAC.

Apr 3, 2012 at 8:57 AM Post #4 of 4
Get the HRT Music Streamer II for $149. http://www.amazon.com/HRT-Music-Streamer-II-Resolution/dp/B0038O4UFQ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back