improving sound quality, getting rid of airport express
Nov 11, 2012 at 6:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

nikobi

New Head-Fier
Maybe you can help me sort out my question:

Currently I am feeding my MF V-DAC II from an Airport Express via toslink. I am mostly streaming apple-lossless material from itunes. The V-DAC and the rest of my audio chain are located ca. 7m/21 feet from my computer which is my only audio source. This setup basically works, but sound quality is not very good.

The connection-indicator led on the v-dac sometimes flickers for a short time, indicating miniature connection drops. When comparing toslink to connecting the dac to a computer via usb (without the airport express), toslink lacks clarity and stage width.

Currently I think airport express has to go, because its optical output seems to be the source of my inferior sound quality. I can see three options for removing airport express from the chain:

option 1: getting a very long 7m usb cable, connecting computer and dac via usb. I've never seen such a long usb cable though.

option 2: getting a hiface 2 or v-link 2 and connecting via coaxial cable in the hope that the connection will be as good as the usb connection.

option 3: Fixing the airport express: I've had a working airport before, and even though the connection indicator led on the dac would stay lit, sound quality was slighty inferior to a usb connection - for me this is the least preferred method.

What do you think - which option will work/provide the best sound quality? Are there any other good options? Would you recommend a hiface 2 or a v-link 2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back