Improving my system: soundcard for Adam A3Xs and headphones?
Jun 10, 2011 at 4:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Pott

100+ Head-Fier
So I finally got my first powered speakers to replace my old mini hi-fi:

Two Adam A3Xs going from the motherboard's soundcard (I know.. :frowning2:) and connected in stereo link.

What's bothering me is that they don't have a headphone jack; I have to reach to the PC's front panel to get to it, which I could do more easily with my old hi-fi.

So since I most likely need a better soundcard to make the best out of these speakers.
I'm thinking about going inside but then it wouldn't solve the headphone issue.

What would be a small USB external card that I could use on my desk both as a headphone output and as a soundcard for the Adams and headphones?

I have some Audio Technica ATH-M50s and Sennheisers HD25-IIs.

Would you also recommend isolation on which to prop the speakers, even for such a small setup?

Jun 11, 2011 at 5:23 AM Post #2 of 9
Do you need an amp in that soundcard?

Regarding the speakers, because of the Air Motion Transformer tweeters you should look to get the tweeters at ear level, and toe the speakers inwards slightly, so that the "line" from the speakers strafes the sides of your head. That will give you the best clarity in highs and widest soundstage.

Jun 11, 2011 at 7:48 AM Post #3 of 9
Jun 13, 2011 at 5:10 AM Post #4 of 9
I've angled the speakers to my ears a little, but they're still very close to the wall and not at ear level (those Adam pads should take care of this).

As for my mobo, it's an Asus P55P7D; audio component is a VIA VT1828S. That's about all the info there is there (I can connect up to a 7.1 surround system to it, woot. Utterly useless to me but well...). I'm on W764 too. Not sure if this helps; for all I know it's already pretty good and may not require an upgrade..!

A bigger desk is the priority right now but unfortunately with no car not as feasible as a new card..!

Jun 13, 2011 at 6:06 AM Post #5 of 9
Pott: the A3X look front-ported to me, so I don't think their distance to the wall is an issue.
If you need a cheap, DIY solution to raising and isolating them a little, try using phonebooks. What have you got to lose by trying that, eh?

Jun 13, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #6 of 9
I suggest you get some cheap monitor stands.
They will raise the speakers up to the correct level and should improve the sound as the desk will no longer vibrate and produce unwanted noise.
Of course you could always upgrade to some a5x's or a7x's.

Jun 13, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #7 of 9
Nah no need. I got these A3s just Friday and they're expensive enough as it is for a collection of MP3s and no dedicated soundcard...! I have a small appartment (1 room) so no need for a room-filling sound. I have nowhere to put the stands either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back