improving my signal chain?
Aug 5, 2013 at 2:44 AM Post #16 of 20
Quote:
Well the -6db function should be native to the VRM software which I never installed. It SHOULD just be the cirrus logic chips working as a plug and play device without any proprietary settings.

my curiosity got the better of me - without the vrm drivers, it's +0 by default.

I would still install the drivers and check it all out.  You're suffering from low output, right?  The thing has the capability of pushing  your headphones to a respectable volume, but it isn't.  It would cost you nothing to run the control software and see what's up, make sure there's no hidden volume controls holding it back.

But perhaps you'd rather just replace it, which is cool too. 

Aug 5, 2013 at 3:09 AM Post #17 of 20
I mean, I DID install them, and confirmed that driverless, it's set at +0. It just runs the cirrus logic chips instead of any VST effects/dB limiter. Bypassing VRMbox control and setting to +0 sounds identical to how it sounds driverless.

At max volume, it's just under critical listening volumes, which is off-putting.

Aug 7, 2013 at 6:03 AM Post #18 of 20
right now I'm doing Laptop's headphone out at 100% volume > Pioneer Reciever > vintage K340 through the pioneer's headphone out. Is there anything I should be worried about?

Aug 7, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #19 of 20
Quote:
right now I'm doing Laptop's headphone out at 100% volume > Pioneer Reciever > vintage K340 through the pioneer's headphone out. Is there anything I should be worried about?

Not if it sounds good.  Laptops on-board sound cards are not often great, but also never tested. There's no good database of performance of built-in sound because there are just too many of them, and very few people know the difference or care to.  You're on your own to decide if it's good or not. 

Some suggest running the PC volume control at 70%.

Aug 7, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #20 of 20
I asked because my on-board actually sounds better through the receiver than the vrmbox does. At max volume, the laptop IS slightly noisy, but only when music isn't playing. I'll try 70%, then control volume through the receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back