Improving my laptop sound
Mar 30, 2007 at 7:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

daduy

100+ Head-Fier
Dear Head-fi-ers,

I'm currently using my onboard laptop sound card as my source, they're nothing special, 1 headphone and 1 mic out. I have read around and i believe the easiest way to improve them is to bought an external sound card (edirol, m-audio, waveterminal) etc....

is there any other way to improve them? what if i bought a receiver (from what i know receiver is pre-amp/amp/tuner integrated into 1 device) and connect directly from my onboard sound card (can i even connect them directly?), or is it a receiver is just some kind of integrator for lots of audio/video equipment without amp/preamp on them?

Your enlightment is much appreciated
biggrin.gif

Mar 31, 2007 at 1:29 AM Post #2 of 9
A receiver will generally have an amp but they are really designed for speakers. Their headphone outs are not as good as most any headphone amp.

If I were you, I would get a good DAC. If you want portability, take a look at HeadRoom's Total Bithead or Meier's Porta Corda USB.

You would connect your laptop to one of the above with a USB cable and then connect your headphones to the amp.

Apr 3, 2007 at 12:01 AM Post #6 of 9
Upgrading from your onboard laptop sound using a portable amp/DAC is my vote.

I use one and the difference is huge. I don't know much about the better sound cards but with an amp/DAC combo you get to use it anywhere.

Apr 4, 2007 at 12:24 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Upgrading from your onboard laptop sound using a portable amp/DAC is my vote.

I use one and the difference is huge. I don't know much about the better sound cards but with an amp/DAC combo you get to use it anywhere.

thank you, i;m leaning toward m-audio transit/ philips aurilium --> vintage receiver
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 4, 2007 at 7:41 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by daduy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thank you, i;m leaning toward m-audio transit/ philips aurilium --> vintage receiver
smily_headphones1.gif

You can try another USB-DAC as well. If you like the headphone output of your receiver you can connect the DAC to your receiver. This is a pretty good solution in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back