Improving Headphone Sound Through Laptop
Oct 18, 2009 at 4:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Infinity260629

New Head-Fier
I have the Beyerdynamic MMX 300 Headphones and want to hear the full potential of these bad boys playing through my Gateway P-7805u FX laptop. Yes they come with a USB converter, but are there other options for better sound? If so what are they?

I'm looking for portable options around the $300 range. I use the headphones mainly for both gaming and listening to music.

Oct 19, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #4 of 4
A USB DAC if I'm not mistaken.

I'm doing something similar to you right now (using a laptop as a source).

The challenge with laptops is that we don't have many (if any) options for swapping sound cards. This means that the sound card (which is acting as a DAC and an Amp when we plug headphones into it) is the weak link.

In order to bypass this we pretty much have to go to something external. There are a number of different options but the simplest in most cases is to use a USB DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) and then a Headphone Amp. There are cheaper setups where the DAC and Amp are in one package or you can buy each individual competent separately.

I don't have a personal recommendation since I am still researching but I can say that this site is a great source to work with. My suggestion (and what I have done) is to spend hours and hours and hours reading and looking around until something catches my eye.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back