Improving audio quality of an iPhone?
Jun 23, 2015 at 9:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

jkaudionoob

New Head-Fier
Hello, I'm a new member and I need some suggestions from the community! I currently use an old iPhone 3GS as an audio source and a Klipsch Image S4i. Most of the audio files I have are 256kbps AAC, some 320kbps MP3 and few iTunes Lossless. I'm noticing a slight distortion in the center when the song is at its peak; whether that be multiple instruments playing at the same time or the vocalist hitting the highest note of the song. This is most prevalent with the higher bit rate files. Mind you, I'm not an audiophile, but I do enjoy listening to high quality audio files. I listened to these higher bit rate songs with my Snapdragon Note 4 (non-Wolfson) and my laptop with and without my external Behringer USB DAC with the Klipsch and an AudioTechnica M40X and I do not notice the same distortion I found with my iPhone, even at high volumes. From this test, I could conclude that it's not from the audio file itself. My possible solution is to purchase an external amp that connects with the iPhone's 30 pin connector. However, I am not sure if that would solve the issue! My ultimate last resort would be to purchase a different music player, but before jumping into that, I would like to hear your opinions and suggestions! 

P.S. Sorry if this is a long post :p

Jun 24, 2015 at 2:22 AM Post #3 of 4
Also check the EQ of the iPhone under "music" in your settings, if your EQ isn't off that may be the problem.

Jun 24, 2015 at 6:15 AM Post #4 of 4
Hi! Your idea of bypass the sound of the jack through the 30 pin conector is easy and is not that expensive (For 37 US Dollars you can buy a FiiO E6 and a L9 LOD Cable). Is exactly what I would do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back