Improving Asus Xonar Phoebus sound production VIA external DAC - Headphone amp
Jul 22, 2013 at 6:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

IYAshike

100+ Head-Fier
Dear all Head-fi users,

After enjoying reading countless threads in the forums, l am a happy new member of your community 
size]
 Hello to you all from Geneva, Switzerland.

Now, it would be great if you could help me with this:

l listen to my headphones (HD558, DT770 250ohms and PRO700MK2) via my PC sound card, the Asus Xonar Phoebus. l wonder if l could get more out of my headphones using an external DAC - headphone amplifier (having in mind buying one of the Fiios, primarily a 'desktop' one).

My PC sound card comes with this DAC - Headphone amp. Do you think l could improve that buying any of the Fiios? Otherwise, are there any other suggestions?  

l guess, my headphones selection tells about my sound preferences (at least, to a certain degree). But just in case, well, l enjoy bass (quality bass).

Thanks a lot in advance!

Antonio

PS: l hope my English is understandable... 

Jul 22, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #2 of 5
Quote:
After enjoying reading countless threads in the forums, l am a happy new member of your community 
size]
 Hello to you all from Geneva, Switzerland.

Now, it would be great if you could help me with this:
l listen to my headphones (HD558, DT770 250ohms and PRO700MK2) via my PC sound card, the Asus Xonar Phoebus. l wonder if l could get more out of my headphones using an external DAC - headphone amplifier (having in mind buying one of the Fiios, primarily a 'desktop' one).
My PC sound card comes with this DAC - Headphone amp. Do you think l could improve that buying any of the Fiios? Otherwise, are there any other suggestions?  
l guess, my headphones selection tells about my sound preferences (at least, to a certain degree). But just in case, well, l enjoy bass (quality bass).

The Asus Phoebus and Fiio E9/E09K amp all use the same TI 6120 headphone amplifier chip.
I would think to improve audio quality would be to invest in better headphones.

With the Senn HD558, did you remove the black rubber tape from inside the HD558's cups?

Maybe replace the DT770 Pro 250-Ohm with the DT880 Pro 250-Ohm or DT990 Pro 250-Ohm.

Jul 22, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #3 of 5
Thank you very much for your answer, Purpleangel. 

l had no idea that the 'Phoebus' and the Fiio E9/E09k use the same amplifier. l knew creating an account here in headfi was a good idea 
size]

Having in mind listening mostly to classical music (while not looking for powerfull bass headphones), l am considering buying the AKG q701 (Quincy Jones). l have read in the forums that the K701/702 and q701 sound, at least, very similar. For some reason, the q701 are sold cheaper at amazon.de, so l am thinking of ordering these (otherwise, l would've gone for the k702, if only for the removable cable). l also have the feeling (after what l have read) that owning one of these AKG models is like a 'must' (in order to 'enter the audiophile path')... so l might give them a try. What do you think?

l definitely considered the DT880. l just thought of changing brands in order to have a different (hopefully fulfilling) experience (as l already own a pair of Beyerdynamic).

Thanks for sharing with me a bit of your time 
size]

Jul 22, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
Thank you very much for your answer, Purpleangel. 
l had no idea that the 'Phoebus' and the Fiio E9/E09k use the same amplifier. l knew creating an account here in headfi was a good idea 
size]

Having in mind listening mostly to classical music (while not looking for powerful bass headphones), l am considering buying the AKG q701 (Quincy Jones). l have read in the forums that the K701/702 and q701 sound, at least, very similar. For some reason, the q701 are sold cheaper at amazon.de, so l am thinking of ordering these (otherwise, l would've gone for the k702, if only for the removable cable). l also have the feeling (after what l have read) that owning one of these AKG models is like a 'must' (in order to 'enter the audiophile path')... so l might give them a try. What do you think?
l definitely considered the DT880. l just thought of changing brands in order to have a different (hopefully fulfilling) experience (as l already own a pair of Beyerdynamic).

Thanks for sharing with me a bit of your time 
size]

AKG Q701 would (should) offer better mids and sound stage over the DT770s, I believe music is one of the AKG 7XX series strong points.
You might end up just using the AKGs and sell off the DT770s & HD558s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back