Improve the comfort of the Grado SR-80
Mar 5, 2003 at 6:18 PM Post #17 of 23
Ordered 2 pair of those foamies, N@Z. Like the guy above me asked, how did you make that perfect circle cut-out?
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 6, 2003 at 10:33 AM Post #18 of 23
I'll pass on the tip from Hirsch & others on this forum who adviced me on this matter.

You'll need a smooth cutting surface like a piece of tile or hard piece of glass, a sharp blade (forgot what it's called, I used those with the blades which can be broken off everytime you need a sharp tip) & a coin with your required hole size. In my case a 50 cent coin which is smaller than the hole of the original Grado pads.

Place the pad on the cutting surface then the coin on the area to be cut (make sure it is perfectly centered otherwise you'll end up with it lob sided!) press down on the coin hard so that the pad will not move when you cut around the coin. Don't lift off the blade as you continually cut around the coin as it may cause a jagged edge.

Make sure the blade is really sharp as you may drag the pad as it won't cut through it. I actually made practice cuts on some spare pads I had for my KSC-35 beforehand.

If you still end up with a jagged edge, try putting it on the driver using the hole you just cut rather than the original precut hole so that the precut side is exposing the drivers holes. Looks more professional. I did mine the normal way as I wanted the hole to be slightly smaller (the edges just covering the driver's outer most holes.)

Hope you can understand my description.

Mar 11, 2003 at 8:56 AM Post #21 of 23
Speaking of. I never muched liked my SR80s for any kind of extended listening until today. The pads just irritate my ears after a little while so I never much used them. I don't know why I never did this before but i stretched the headband a little so that the cups only lightly touch my ears now. Then I listed to them for like 5 hours straight, all of a sudden they were totally comfortable. After a few hours I A/B'd them against Eggo D66 and BeyerDynamic DT770s and I ended up preferring the Grado. The sound is fast and has a really clear and upfront midrange. I can't believe how different my opinion of these changed in one day. I used to hate how they felt on my ears and now its no problem and the sound is really impressive. I may trade in my 770's towards a higher end Grado model. In comparison the 770's feel a little slow and the bass is overemphasized to the point of being distracting.

Mar 13, 2003 at 1:04 PM Post #23 of 23
WOW!! Its been a fair old while since I checked back here, never thought i'd get as many responses
biggrin.gif

Actually, I tried was austonia said, and stretched the headband, and they seem much better now, they no longer give me a headache, and I can wear them for the length of an album now before giving it a break. I may well still try this sock mod though. Anyway, very grateful for all the suggestions.

I think I'll save this thread
biggrin.gif

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back