Improve the comfort of the Grado SR-80
Mar 3, 2003 at 9:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

pbirkett

Headphoneus Supremus
Well, I bought some of these headphones the other day (second hand), and I have to say, I'm not particularly impressed. For a starters the cord is too short, so it looks like I will end up buying an extension cord (its much shorter than the cord on my HD497's). However, worse than that, the comfort is nothing short of an absolute disgrace, from headphones that are costing as much as they do originally.

Not only do they give me a headache wearing them, but the pads are the most horrible, abrasive lumps of horse cack I've ever encountered on any headphone, regardless of price. Even my £20 Sony MDR-CD280's are more comfortable than these things by far.

I have read somewhere that Grado have released pads to replace the stock ones that are, and I quote "far more comfy". Any ideas on where I can obtain them, how much they cost and indeed, whether they really are that much better, or any other tips to improve the comfort, otherwise I'll be forced to sell them on only weeks after I got them.

To be fair, the sound quality is pretty good, but I cannot currently wear them for longer than half an hour....

Mar 3, 2003 at 9:52 AM Post #2 of 23
Definitely try bending the headband if it's too tuff n tite on your ears. You can get them so that they rest lightly on your ears, but be careful not to make them too loose. It helps comfort quite a bit.

I don't know what kind of socks the other head fi'ers tried but my socks would NOT fit on the sr80 pads. Impossible to fit on there and stay on. The socks were WAY too thick and tight. What's more, i realized that even if the sock mod had fit correctly, my ear still wouldn't fit inside the inner circumference of the sock.

The most ingenious headband mod that I've heard of so far is getting the headband cushion of the senn hd580 and attaching it to the headband of the grado. Nice idea! Dunno if it works though. There is a senn hd400 headband mod, and it seems to improve the comfort ever so slightly but it doesn't look all that great and you need some nice clear caulk.

Mar 3, 2003 at 10:00 AM Post #3 of 23
First off, my first impression on that was exactly same as yours ,probably even worse. But that gear, I'm telling you, sorta grows on you....And it'll become never let go item, in sound, looks and comfort wise.for sure..Give 'em a time... What I'm saying is that it takes little time to getting used to it...And unlike the first impression, it's not that hard at all for yourself to get usef to it, ...Believe or not it is quite comfort when we compare it to that of 325...etc...

Mar 3, 2003 at 11:36 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by pbirkett
...but the pads are the most horrible, abrasive lumps of horse cack I've ever encountered...

LOL, I've never had a pair of SR-80s on my head, but I sure enjoyed your description of them
smily_headphones1.gif

Have been thinking about getting a pair though.

Good luck with some modifications, and let us know how it works out.

Snow

Mar 4, 2003 at 7:09 AM Post #9 of 23
As I mentioned before, you guys must have special order socks! I dunno...I have above average sized feet. I wear a size 10.5-12 depending on the shoe. My socks simply don't fit over the grado pads! My ears dont fit inside the inner diameter that the socks would make if they did fit, anyway...Weird. Must just be me. Hope it works for the rest of you. I ruined a pair of socks trying it out.
rolleyes.gif

Mar 4, 2003 at 7:16 AM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by ooheadsoo
As I mentioned before, you guys must have special order socks! I dunno...I have above average sized feet. I wear a size 10.5-12 depending on the shoe. My socks simply don't fit over the grado pads! My ears dont fit inside the inner diameter that the socks would make if they did fit, anyway...Weird. Must just be me. Hope it works for the rest of you. I ruined a pair of socks trying it out.
rolleyes.gif

You don't use the whole sock.
tongue.gif

Take a pair in good condition and cut to a 4" length of the elastic part from each sock. Then do what it says in that link above.

I got it right in one pair.

Here is an older pic of my MD desk rig and you can see the socks on my Grados: http://members.cox.net/solson/images/deskrig.jpg
The pic is dark, but you get the idea.

[BTW] - My feet are size 11 (US).

Mar 4, 2003 at 9:56 AM Post #12 of 23
Sol_Zhen: Yeah, I know
wink.gif
I only used 1 sock for the two pieces but what am I supposed to do with the other sock?
tongue.gif

Didn't work for me...oh well
tongue.gif

Mar 4, 2003 at 4:41 PM Post #13 of 23
N@Z:
Will those pads fit any Grado?

Mar 5, 2003 at 11:52 AM Post #15 of 23
Thanks for the sock mod suggestion. If done right it works very well. You need two socks with a good elasticized part at the top. As Sol_Zhen says, cut the socks about 4" below the elasticized section. From there, place the cut end of the sock (not the elasticized part) through the Grado ear pad from outside to in and curl the end around the inside curve of the pad. Now, take the part of the sock protruding to the outside and start wrapping it around the outside of the pad and then back through the ear hole. You should be able to wrap it around twice. Now here's the important part. The last wrap around the outside of the pads is done with the elasticized part of the sock. The end of the elasticized part should just be able to wrap around the pad and terminate before reaching the hole. Because it is elasticized it will stay right where it is without any other securing mechanism.

Comfort is 100% improved. The look is quite professional. (If you clean the socks beforehand, the smell shouldn't be bad.) And I'm thinking that the sound is just a wee bit warmer, which does not hurt for Grados.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back