improve redbook CD playback from Sony DVP S7700
Sep 28, 2005 at 6:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

jxb2

100+ Head-Fier
I have an old Sony Universal DVD/CD SS7700 player that I am considering using on my nightstand for redbook CD playback only.

I am wondering if redbook only CD players such as the NAD C542, or comparable, would produce notably improved playback.

I do most of my in-bed listening using Etymotic 4 P/S and super macro V3, or sometimes a Gilmore lite.

thank you for your help

Sep 29, 2005 at 5:22 AM Post #2 of 3
Ooooh, that was the flagship Sony DVD player back in its day. I actually tested one out when I was auditioning DVD players. From memory it's got a 24-bit DAC. To me it sounded very nice with music, although a bit harsh and mechanical, so I never went for it. It's probably quite a decent CDP, but you'll never know how it stacks up with newer players unless you hear them. Perhaps you can check a few players out at your local hi-fi shops. Without doing that, the best you can do is to describe the sound for us coming out of your gear, and what you think about it.

I prefer to use a dedicated CD player for music, since the DVD circuitry in DVD players can degrade the sound quality. But I've always had both types of components...DVD and CD. An obvious question is: what would you use for DVD if you adopted the 7700 for music?

Sep 30, 2005 at 2:56 AM Post #3 of 3
Thanks for reply. I now use Modwright Denon 5900 universal player in main rig. No question it is vastly superior to Sony in all respects.

My main question was whether I could get better redbook CD from low price dedicted CD player, since I now use Sont for CD only.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back